HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 9:08 PM

^^I don't know why that rendering of the Jeweler's Building shows restoring the north 2/3 of the storefront then slapping some plain limestone around the building entrance, especially when a previous restoration attempt already recreated the bottom half of the south two columns. Although the rendering appears to date from April of last year or earlier, so hopefully it was merely conceptual.

As far as residential versus hotel, the upper 4 floors on this building total roughly 32,000 sf. Assuming roughly 25,000 sf net area subtracting the exterior walls, 2 stairwells, 2 elevators and 100' of corridor, you get an average unit size of 650 sf. That does sound like residential. Though I can't imagine them being that desirable when 70% of the units face into a 10' alley. This building made more sense as a boutique hotel in that regard.

Last edited by Ned.B; Aug 14, 2019 at 9:50 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 9:57 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
^^I don't know why that rendering of the Jeweler's Building shows restoring the north 2/3 of the storefront then slapping some plain limestone around the building entrance, especially when a previous restoration attempt already recreated the bottom half of the south two columns. Although the rendering appears to date from April of last year or earlier, so hopefully it was merely conceptual.

As far as residential versus hotel, the upper 4 floors on this building total roughly 32,000 sf. Assuming roughly 25,000 sf net area subtracting the exterior walls, 2 stairwells, 2 elevators and 100' of corridor, you get an average unit size of 650 sf. That does sound like residential. Though I can't imagine them being that desirable when 70% of the units face into a 10' alley. This building made more sense as a boutique hotel in that regard.
Yeah the rendering definitely doesn't fully restore the Sullivan design, but it's far closer than the Iwan Ries botch job that exists now.

More info... apparently one of the original cast iron storefront columns is now in the Smithsonian:
https://www.urbanremainschicago.com/...um-collection/

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post

Its being built as 39 residential units andd will be operated as an Airbnb hotel with a hotel license...

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineerding View Post
They are designed to not offend people who still work in suburban office parks, ie sad boring people, so that’s why that is.
LOL - I'd like to think it's because it's a lower tier of hotel and they don't put as much money into any of them. But you know. I've seen them in multiple cities - whether it's Chicago or Manhattan or Honolulu, etc - they all follow the same type of boringness no matter the urbanity of the city.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
LOL - I'd like to think it's because it's a lower tier of hotel and they don't put as much money into any of them. But you know. I've seen them in multiple cities - whether it's Chicago or Manhattan or Honolulu, etc - they all follow the same type of boringness no matter the urbanity of the city.
Yeah these types of places are all over SoHo NYC - I often have to stay at them due to my companies low approved nightly hotel expense rates.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 4:16 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:

I agree with you. It's not because they think this design is going to attract a particular clientele. It's much more likely that it is thoughtless design. They want to spend as little resource as possible on designing this brand. It really is thoughtless though. And careless. And a shame.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 6:45 PM

I live near it and I am not 100 percent sure who they think the market is for it in that spot

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
I live near it and I am not 100 percent sure who they think the market is for it in that spot
I remember hearing the word "millennials" tossed around when this was proposed, seemed lazy even at the time--like some exec read a Business Insider article about milennials then asked what neighborhood "they" liked in Chicago and plopped this the first place they saw in Wicker Park.

I guess its close the expressway and not far (farther than is convenient, but not far) from the blue line, so I suppose business travelers could see it as a midway point between o'hare and the loop... df

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
Most likely it'll be a cheaper option than downtown for a decent enough hotel in or near a neighborhood with a lot of stuff and also not far from downtown. To me it makes some sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
Yeah these types of places are all over SoHo NYC - I often have to stay at them due to my companies low approved nightly hotel expense rates.
Not just SoHo, but pretty much all over Midtown Manhattan. Some aren't brand new buildings and some are. Even good brands here have "whatever" designs. For example, this Renaissance near Penn Station is a newer building completed just probably 4 years ago(?). Before I moved here, I would stay at this hotel every week for months on end while on business and it's a nice one inside. However it's just another meh glass box:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/21...9!4d-73.991033

The majority of hotel goers care about what the inside is like, not the outside anyway.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 2:58 PM

There are two new low-rises on Irving Park near Sheridan which look stalled.

I believe one is 6 stories and covered in graffiti on the top floor and the second is 4 stories. I recently noticed it's falling apart on the top floor.

Any ideas?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Most likely it'll be a cheaper option than downtown for a decent enough hotel in or near a neighborhood with a lot of stuff and also not far from downtown. To me it makes some sense.

Not just SoHo, but pretty much all over Midtown Manhattan. Some aren't brand new buildings and some are. Even good brands here have "whatever" designs. For example, this Renaissance near Penn Station is a newer building completed just probably 4 years ago(?). Before I moved here, I would stay at this hotel every week for months on end while on business and it's a nice one inside. However it's just another meh glass box:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/21...9!4d-73.991033

The majority of hotel goers care about what the inside is like, not the outside anyway.
This basically. One of the best things to happen to NYC overall in the last 15ish years was a proliferation of lower to medium cost hotels across much of the city since there was little to no zoning barrier to the use. So scores of more affordable hotels were built even in neighborhoods where you wouldn't consider there to be as much demand.

Chicago could use more neighborhood hotels and while I'd prefer them not to look like this having the supply is good.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 9:47 PM

Curbed has a nice roundup / interactive map of the proposed and under-construction projects in the West Loop: Link

56 of them altogether, which is nuts. I haven't been following these things as long as some others on these forums. When was the last time there was this much activity in a single <1 sq mile neighborhood?

Also, the map sure suggests that the Morgan L stop has played a role in catalyzing the development. I count ~40 projects within ~1/2 a mile of it (not counting those already completed since the station opened in 2012). Not sure how much of the credit you can give it, but it makes the $38M investment seem pretty worthwhile.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 9:52 PM
tilted & shifted

Streeterville landmark eyed for boutique hotel
The Harry Weese-designed building at 227 E. Walton St. is poised to join the condo deconversion trend.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...boutique-hotel

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 2:36 PM

444 N Orleans

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 3:03 PM
The City

^ That project at the SW corner of Illinois and Orleans, is it an adaptive reuse or a tear down and new construction? Can’t tell if there is any semblance of the old structure there?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ That project at the SW corner of Illinois and Orleans, is it an adaptive reuse or a tear down and new construction? Can’t tell if there is any semblance of the old structure there?
Re-use, added a floor, new facing, and gutted.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Re-use, added a floor, new facing, and gutted.
The original facade was totally destroyed because some dipstick skim coated it with popcorn concrete...

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 1:57 PM
The City

^ Yeah, whatever new is going up there definitely doesn’t look promising

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 12:15 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Maybe someone already mentioned this, but it looks like construction has started at the NW corner of Dearborn/Polk (the Roots Pizza, I think?)

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 12:17 AM

^Love those old pre-war brick warehouses. Especially the taller ones.

How many floors is the new Root's Pizza building? Is there residential above?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development