HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 3:59 PM

If Oklahoma City, Sacramento, and Salt Lake City are able to have an NBA team why shouldn’t the 7th Largest City in the US have one? San Antonio would never let something like that happen.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 4:15 PM

Let's put this to rest. The Spurs are going nowhere but San Antonio! Even if it means building them a new arena somewhere downtown. Question is can we get a liga MX in the Alamodome? I say yes we can.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 4:19 PM

I'd love to see that Runner. Waaaaay more than MLS. Such a better product. There are already so many Liga MX fans here in SA

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
Well, San Antonio did lose out on the last round of MLS expansion sides, to Cincinnati, Miami and Nashville. The crew moving to Austin though isn't really an expansion, though, just relocation.

I don't think it's that big of a deal, honestly. The quality of the MLS is generally quite poor, especially when compared to other countries. And attendance is very hit and miss. Especially in Texas, they can barely get anyone to go to the games in Houston and Dallas.

I would absolutely love to see a Liga MX team in San Antonio. If we had to choose between MLS or Liga MX it's got to be the latter, every day of the week. Far more exposure, more money, and it would bring a real international flavor to the city, and hopefully even a shiny new stadium in the core.

The Spurs situation is interesting. Now that they're probably going to start to suck, or at least be mediocre, I wonder if there are big changes ahead. Attendance is middle of the road for the NBA, the ownership group is in turmoil, the coach is probably going to call it quits soon, and players don't want to live in San Antonio. That combined with the AT&T Center lease being up around 2030, if the Spurs can't get a new arena, I wouldn't be surprised if they moved. To be honest I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world. It would force city leaders to start fixing things instead of doping everyone up on Go Spurs Go fever to distract them from how crappy a lot of the city is.
YES VERY OFF BASE! FAKE NEWS! GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT! AGAIN< SOMEONE WHO PROBABLY IS NOT FROM THE CITY OF SA TRYING TO INSTIGATE.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 5:12 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If Oklahoma City, Sacramento, and Salt Lake City are able to have an NBA team why shouldn’t the 7th Largest City in the US have one? San Antonio would never let something like that happen.
Nobody cares about being the "7th Largest 'City'" in the U.S. It really means very little to the business community. I wish we'd stop using it. Businesses (of all sorts) look more at the overall size of the market - which is mainly how many people are there in the metro or CSA. And in the case of sports - how many TV sets are in a specific market. I don't have the numbers right in front of me, but, San Antonio is in the mid-20's in terms of overall population when compared to other metros (and even CSA's).

San Antonio is also roughly the 30th largest TV market in the U.S. Places like Raleigh and Nashville are bigger TV markets.

So, being the 7th Largest City really means very little. Heck, Miami (City) has a population about 465,000 - yet has a professional team in all of the major sports. That's because Miami has the 16th largest TV market and ranks in the Top 10 in overall metro/CSA population.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 5:40 PM

I for 1 dont like when they bring up TV market size. Austin & SA should be 1 TV market. I know TONS of people in SA watch the Longhorns & TONS of Spurs fans in Austin. & hypothetically if there were MLB or NFL in either city, the other would watch.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime View Post
I for 1 dont like when they bring up TV market size. Austin & SA should be 1 TV market. I know TONS of people in SA watch the Longhorns & TONS of Spurs fans in Austin. & hypothetically if there were MLB or NFL in either city, the other would watch.
Having spent all but two years of my life living in both cities, I agree and in many ways I already view both cities as one huge region (like DFW). I think the combined market would only benefit both cities.

Unfortunately, from my personal experience, this idea isn't very popular among people I know in San Antonio or on this forum. I've seen more support from my Austin friends/family than anyone here about this idea. Again, this is just my experience, I could be way off base with where most in SA stand on the issue.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
"Turn off the lights the party's over" Austin wins MLS San Antonio left behind once again.
I don't think we were ever in the Precort/Columbus picture. If I remember correctly once Austin was out of that picture they were going to go to Sacramento. If we want an MLS team we need to put together our own bid once they expand. Having a team in Austin and one down the road in San Antonio would be possible. There are two MLS teams in Los Angeles

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 3:45 PM

MLS is over for sure, better shot at Liga MX, a way better league, but that's a slim chance also. Let's put soccer in the rearview mirror & go after MLB!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 4:59 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

I will temporarily be closing this thread as the discussion has shifted away from the MLS in San Antonio.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio