HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 2:16 AM

The Spanish Flu was caused by a virus for which antibiotics are useless. We don't have any reliable treatment for COVID-19 at the moment. Hospitals around the world are treating COVID patients pretty much the same way: supportive care, intubation, and ECMO if comes to that.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
That’s because there weren’t any antibiotics to treat the bacterial infection.
... bacterial pneumonia that they got because they contracted the virus. Shutting things down is about stopping the spread.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
There is a big sign at the worker entrance telling them to wear personal protective equipment (PPE). If they are all wearing PPE, they should all be fine. That said, I can't tell from the photo which are (or are not) wearing it.
Construction PPE has a different meaning than what we are hearing about lately in regards to medical personal. Construction PPE is a hard hat, safety vest and safety glasses, sometimes ear protection for those working around large, or noisy machinery. It should include masks for those working around dusty work, especially in enclosed spaces. My observation from the construction sites in my neighborhood, and the photos I see online is that very few, if any, construction workers are wearing masks, and they frequently violate social distancing guidelines. It is probably a disaster just waiting to happen. When this is all over, I'm sure there will be studies done that point out that the death toll among construction and other blue collar workers will be significantly higher than their relative percentage of the population.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Construction PPE has a different meaning than what we are hearing about lately in regards to medical personal. Construction PPE is a hard hat, safety vest and safety glasses, sometimes ear protection for those working around large, or noisy machinery. It should include masks for those working around dusty work, especially in enclosed spaces. My observation from the construction sites in my neighborhood, and the photos I see online is that very few, if any, construction workers are wearing masks, and they frequently violate social distancing guidelines. It is probably a disaster just waiting to happen. When this is all over, I'm sure there will be studies done that point out that the death toll among construction and other blue collar workers will be significantly higher than their relative percentage of the population.
Agree. Under normal circumstances, the refusal to wear PPE and masks albeit stupid and reckless, usually only affected the individual. But today, that person will come in contact with persons in their path wherever they go, so their recklessness is far more irresponsible than just individual disregard for their own safety, they are showing disregard to the rest of us. I don't understand why there are so many people, including essential workers, who still aren't taking the current situation seriously. Maybe there needs to be some kind of enforcement agency assigned to construction sites that have the power to shut them down if they are not in compliance with the Corona safety guidelines.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 9:42 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
For large projects like that, schedules have to be met. And it affects all the material suppliers down line.
So? Every industry in America has schedules that have to be met and suppliers up and down the line that are harmed by closures.

My company makes products that we sell to distributors who are now closed because the stores they sell to are closed.

It's a dumb argument because literally every single industry is impacted economically by shutdown. Construction isn't special, they just have the right friends in the right places.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 9:44 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I have to wear a mask at work. I have to say, it is very uncomfortable during an 8 hour day. I'm constantly tugging at it and adjusting it. Not to mention, it makes my glasses steam up. And I'm not outside in the heat busting my ass like most of these construction workers are day after day. I have to admit, I mostly wear mine under my chin when no one is looking.
The job-site for the new Juul building on Oltorf had about half the guys with Bandanas over their faces and the other half I could see not wearing any face-covering.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Agree. Under normal circumstances, the refusal to wear PPE and masks albeit stupid and reckless, usually only affected the individual. But today, that person will come in contact with persons in their path wherever they go, so their recklessness is far more irresponsible than just individual disregard for their own safety, they are showing disregard to the rest of us. I don't understand why there are so many people, including essential workers, who still aren't taking the current situation seriously. Maybe there needs to be some kind of enforcement agency assigned to construction sites that have the power to shut them down if they are not in compliance with the Corona safety guidelines.
Actually, I believe the city inspectors assigned to each site do have the power to shut sites down or fine them for non-compliance of the orders.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 4:38 PM

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 4:50 PM

Great pic update, atx! I'm gonna try and take a stroll downtown and snap some pics of everything soon.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 5:09 PM

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 5:03 PM

An update from Somnio at Surly Horns.

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/ind...omment=2250575

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 5:52 PM

I forgot how small this site was

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 7:21 PM

Here's another nice shot from Surly. Photo by Deej.

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/ind...omment=2253277

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 7:39 PM

This view really shows the brevity of the footprint. With the height and unit count, this is going to be slender and true density.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 3:03 AM

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 3:45 PM

Those folks don't look too happy about your photo taking! Lol

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 12:06 AM

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 12:54 AM

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 4:02 PM

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 6:27 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin