HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 10:01 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAforME View Post
I guess I would have liked to see something more transit oriented (for the citizens also) covering a larger area of the city and less "touristy" making it more accessible to people moving downtown. In NOLA an enclosed double deck bus with glass sun roofs for the upper deck would be more practical. The rain and humidity make open air busses less of a comforable ride from June through Sept. (not to mention our unpredictable weather) than an air conditioned street car or bus. The worst part "There will also be recordings in two dialects: "Cajun" and "New Orleanian," company leaders said." How sad.....I can't imagine going to NYC and riding a tour bus with someone on an audio talking in a Bronx "dialect" giving the history of the city........ 'Dis is DA Empiya state bildnin, an if you don't like it...up ya nose wit a rubba hose..." Or In NOLA Mais, yea, dis is da St. Louis Cathedral, Mais dey got church in dair"....just doesn't sound too appealing....My Acadian gradmother will be rolling around in her grave........Why not an Acadian French recording? I'll keep my sense of humor about it.........New Orleans should start a "STOP NOLA from becoming a Parody of itself" Association" I hope it's successful, but more "well thought out" for our city and citizens
Locals wont be caught dead on a double decker tour bus. This is for non locals. Glad they are doing either way because it will take a certain tourist and show them other sides of town.

Bar and Food News:

Huge News for Kermit Ruffins and fans of live, local music: "Kermit Ruffins stood before the Council to request permission for live music in Ernie K-Doe's Mother in Law Lounge. After the Council thanked Ruffins and the deceased K-Doe couple for all they had done for the city, the members voted unanimously to grant permission to the local trumpet player." [NoDef]

NOLA Brewing's Cool New Renovations and ReleasesThere's a lot of construction happening at NOLA Brewing these days. Eater stopped by the Tchoup Street brewery to take a peek at their post-Isaac renovations and try the new IPA, Mechahopzilla, which is amazing in an 8.8 percent ABV kind of way. NOLA's Vice Prez Dylan Lintern and Head of Sales, Buck Brown, talked about some exciting new changes for the brewery, while a farmer picked up bins of hops to reuse at his farm and some good alt-country blasted over the loud speaker.

"The storm tore off a door, which took out a skylight and damaged our merchandise room and a lot of the merchandise," Brown said. "But it's okay. It opened up this other room that's like the perfect space for a bar."

Maïs Arepas, 1200 Carondelet
Projected Opening: September

This is a great sign for for Maïs Arepas and Central City. David Mantilla's new restaurant has already been praised by city council for fighting the blight and looks to bring new Latin flavors to the city with Columbian arepas and small plates. And now they look close to opening. Their voicemail confirms the opening date is at the end of September, so maybe next week.

Saints and Sinners Long Way From Bringing Sexy Back

Yo Tatum Skinz, you know when you score a modeling gig, and you're like, "I ain't even 'bout to front. I spent the entire summer eating taquitos on my yacht and now I need lipo and 12 hours of pilates/day for two months to bring my sexy back"? Yeah, well that's the sort of shape Channing Tatum's Saints and Sinners is in right now

The owners of Byblos and Salu are planning to open a barbecue joint in addition to the Mexican tacqueria going in at the busy 3200 stretch of Magazine.The new barbecue joint will be in the old Rocky's Pizza. The taqueria is moving into into Byblos' current space, and Byblos into the old Nacho Mama's. [Nola.com, EaterNOLA]

Sid-Mar's Kent Burgess IN at Stalled Lakeshore Restaurant
The summer's hottest opening that was put on hold like a Sprint Customer has finally sprung back to life as The Blue Crab. Now set to open in November, hybrid seafood market/restaurant/boat dock will be lead by Sid-Mar's owner, Kent Burgess as chef/operator.

According to project developer Nick Asprodites, The Blue Crab will feature picnic tables set up for boiled seafood on the first floor. The upstairs will have the restaurant and a deck overlooking the marina. The plan is to "bring back the feelings of the Bruning's, Fitzgerald's days," so expect a family friendly fried-fish throwback with a great view. Since Burgess' own family has been cooking seafood on the lakefront for decades, he seems a pretty perfect fit.

Expect Borscht, lamb casserole, and a lot of pickles coming out of Pravda soon. Nick Dietrich of Perestroika, the 'pop-up bar' at the Cure team's recenlty-acquired Pravda, say they hope to offer a variety of Eastern European food soon. Siberia on St. Claude just started serving Slavic soul food a few months ago, but Perestroika plans to be different by "expanding the sphere of influence". [NoDef]

The small Uptown bistro, C'est La Vie, which served proper French standards and only opened back in January, has closed for business. A phone call to the restaurant was answered by the Magazine Street building's owner, who said that C'est La Vie went out of business three weeks ago, and he is already talking to several new restaurants that are already interested in the location— across the street from pho hotspot Magasin.

http://nola.eater.com/

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 10:40 PM
TL;DR

This is like the fifth time I've heard construction was imminent on the Texaco Building. At this point I'll believe it when I see it. Surprised Isaac didn't blow it over.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
This is like the fifth time I've heard construction was imminent on the Texaco Building. At this point I'll believe it when I see it. Surprised Isaac didn't blow it over.
I wish it did. I'm glad to see it renovated...but for basically an old folks section 8 home...I'm not sure the end of canal street that we are trying to revitalize into an upscale shopping / condo district is the right place for that..... hell, i'm not sure THEY want to live there. They probably want a nice, quiet stretch of gentilly, mid-city, something..but a high rise? Prob not.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 5:17 AM

Construction could not start until HANO sold the building. Things unfortunately take time when the govt. is involved. Trust me...as a federal employee...things don't happen quickly. We're just now getting our new dual pol doppler radars installed...that were originally promised 5 years ago. I have a feeling we'll still be getting FEMA reimbursements for Katrina in 2020.

Now that HRI has possession, and given the ambitious timeline for the Iberville redevelopment, this project should begin fairly quickly. These redevelopments seem to be the one thing moving at a fairly rapid pace for govt. work. Not sure how the seniors feel about high rise living (I know my great-grandmother enjoyed it before she passed), but the close proximity to the new Charity should be a big selling point.

The bond commission also gave preliminary approval to sell bonds for the badly needed hospital in New Orleans East. Good news!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 2:49 PM
TL;DR

Senior housing is one of the few land uses that can be done without parking. Traditional apartments or condos would require HRI to build a garage somewhere for the residents or buy the lot across the street. Either way, $$$.

Stuff like this is why we need to invest in the transit system... With decent transit, it would be possible for a lot more people to live without a car, or they could stash the car a few blocks away from home in a centralized garage. I'm not talking about new streetcar lines.... bus lines should be on a 15-minute frequency. This means NORTA's operating budget would go up, so they'd need a new permanent source of revenue... And I would gladly pay a 2-cent sales tax for this.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Senior housing is one of the few land uses that can be done without parking. Traditional apartments or condos would require HRI to build a garage somewhere for the residents or buy the lot across the street. Either way, $$$.

Stuff like this is why we need to invest in the transit system... With decent transit, it would be possible for a lot more people to live without a car, or they could stash the car a few blocks away from home in a centralized garage. I'm not talking about new streetcar lines.... bus lines should be on a 15-minute frequency. This means NORTA's operating budget would go up, so they'd need a new permanent source of revenue... And I would gladly pay a 2-cent sales tax for this.
I can't agree with you more.....it would be an investment well worth the 2 cents tax

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 5:47 PM

Quote:

Seriously, buses used to be SO frequent before Katrina. And, ridership keeps increasing every quarter (although not nearly close to pre-katrina levels). But, I am so tired of waiting 30 minutes for some buses, specifically the General Meyer to Canal Street. The only somewhat acceptable buses are the Magazine and the St. Claude.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 11:51 PM
TL;DR

Yeah. Supposedly NORTA's so strapped, the only way they could afford to run the new Loyola streetcar was to cut all of the Uptown buses short at the UPT. So the Freret, Claiborne, ML King, and all the Westbank routes that cross the Crescent City Connection will end at the UPT and riders will have to transfer to the streetcar.... and then transfer again at Canal.

I read this in an article, but I haven't heard anything official about it. I hope NORTA planners are smart enough NOT to do this... you can't expect riders to make two transfers when buses only run every 30 minutes at best.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 2:24 PM
-

German shipper to expand New Orleans link with Latin America

An agreement with German shipping company Hamburg Sud will connect the Port of New Orleans to several ports in the Latin American market.

The Port of New Orleans announced today that the new weekly service will link to ports in Caucedo, Dominican Republic; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Montevideo, Uruguay; Rio Grande, Mexico; and Suape, Santos, Navegantes and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Mid-City distiller launches its first vodka; absinthe in the works
Atelier Vie, a nascent distillery in Mid-City, announced the availability of its first vodka called Buck 25. The distillery, which was cleared to begin operations in June, focuses on the production of “craft liquors.” Buck 25 is an 80-proof vodka specifically made for cocktail mixing. The higher proof of the vodka allows bartenders to use less

Another public forum on the new football stadium planned at Tulane University will be held at 6 p.m. Monday.

The discussion will include new information on the stadium’s design and drainage system, a presentation of construction plans and an update on the status of the agreement between Tulane and the city.
Presentations are scheduled from Tulane President Scott Cowen, representatives of the architect, contractor and drainage consultant for the project and the director of the Tulane School of Architecture’s City Center.

The forum will take place at Freeman Auditorium, on the second floor of the Woldenberg Art Center on Tulane’s Uptown campus. Free parking and shuttle service will be available in Rosen Lot from 5:30 to 8 p.m

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...stadium-plans/

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 1:54 PM

1031 Canal Street

The good news: The city has approved the design.

The bad news: Construction doesn't begin until next year.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...s_city_ap.html

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 7:03 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
The good news: The city has approved the design.

The bad news: Construction doesn't begin until next year.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...s_city_ap.html
Prep work for a building like that will take several months anyways. But good to see its coming rather soon.

Build A New Water Feature, And Landscaping At Woldenberg Riverfront ParkEstimated Value*
$1,000,000.00
Address
1 Canal St.
New Orleans, LA 70130
Orleans County
New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA Region

Description The Audubon Commission invites bids from qualified licensed general contractors to build a new water feature, and landscaping at Woldenberg Riverfront Park, 1 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 Bids are due on or before October 24, 2012 at 1:00 pm. Bids shall be submitted in a sealed envelope marked "WOLDENBERG RIVERFRONT PARK - Landscape and Water Feature Community Development Block Grant Project for Fiscal Year 2011 to be financed by the State of Louisiana CDBG Program

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 2:51 PM

Point of Embarkation

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s..._river_default

Quote:
- TP Archive

New Orleans chooses developer for idle Navy-owned complex in Bywater

The city of New Orleans has selected a group to redevelop the shuttered Naval Support Activity's east bank campus at the foot of Poland Avenue in Bywater, often called the Port of Embarkation. EMDRC Partners LLC, a joint venture whose members include former New Orleans homeland security chief Col. Terry Ebbert and businessman Bill Ryan, who is chairman of the board overseeing Federal City in Algiers, has been selected to redevelop the 25-acre site into a "resiliency center." ....

The "resiliency center' thing sounds odd to me. At least there's Stirling and Jones Walker on board. That helps me feel comfortable with it, but why "resiliency center" that also has a cruise ship terminal, etc...Should be interesting to see what comes from it.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 4:52 PM

National WWII Museum

Look what went up at the WWII Museum recently:
More pictures at the following link.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 5:44 PM

I live right by the WW2 museum, and they have really sped up construction the past few weeks. That is the Freedom Pavilion, and they also have started on the Campaigns pavilion. Going to be great when it is all finished. Let's hope they move forward with their plans for a parking garage and hotel in the empty parking lot between Magazine and Constance.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 9:21 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
I live right by the WW2 museum, and they have really sped up construction the past few weeks. That is the Freedom Pavilion, and they also have started on the Campaigns pavilion. Going to be great when it is all finished. Let's hope they move forward with their plans for a parking garage and hotel in the empty parking lot between Magazine and Constance.
Yeah because that parking lot is a total eyesore and kills any continuity in the streetlife. Not sure why they were allowed to tear down previous buildings until they were ready to build the new facility.

Gameloft Studio Settles in New Orleans, Fuels A Growing Industry

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adrianal...wing-industry/

Advocate marks launch of New Orleans edition

http://theadvocate.com/home/3978325-...-launch-of-new

New Era opened a flagship store on Canal Street this weekend, following a significant building facade restoration project. Check out the before and after pictures. This property was the 21st on Canal Street to receive a Facade Improvement Grant from the DDD.

Before:

After:

Preview Biodisctrict New Orleans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOm_1...&feature=share

New Perlis at the airport:

One of the new Hudson News Shops:

Finished Hyatt French Quarter:

Two New Buildings earned Leed Certification :

Project: H.005823.6 IHNC-Almonaster Ave. Br. Hurricane Katrina Damage Repairs

Project Type Building Use Status
Renovation
Site Work
Paving Bridges / Tunnels GC Bidding
Sector Bid Date Est. Start Date
Public Wednesday, October 10, 2012 Friday, November 9, 2012
Estimated Value* Solicitation #
$2,500,000.00 H.005823.6
Address
Almonaster Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70160
Orleans County

Project: H.003128.6 I-10 West To I-10 East
Project Type Building Use Status
Site Work Roads / Highways Sub-Bidding
Sector Bid Date Est. Start Date
Public Wednesday, September 26, 2012 Monday, October 22, 2012
Estimated Value* Solicitation #
$7,500,000.00 H.003128.6
Address
I-610
New Orleans, LA 70112
Orleans County

Last edited by tennis1400; Sep 25, 2012 at 10:06 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 9:56 PM
TL;DR

New Era looks great. Sucks that the original facade was destroyed on the 1st/2nd floors, but at least they could restore the 3rd!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 11:42 PM

So glad seeing all construction taking place. Anyone kepping up with the BioDistrict Construction??

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post

what building is this?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
what building is this?
I believe that is a new dorm building at Tulane on Willow.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 12:58 AM
TL;DR

Correct; that's Weatherhead Hall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations