HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 3, 2005, 2:25 AM
OG from the L.B.C.

Added tidbit of info,

The neighborhood of Queen Village in Philly is also named in honor of her, as well as Christian street, and Queen street. They are a few of the small handful of streets in Philly named after women. (Like Callowhill was named after William Penn's wife [extremely rare, as Quaker's thought naming street's in honor of someone was a show of vanity] and obviously Catherine street, although I do not know exactly where that name comes from.)

Old Posted Apr 3, 2005, 6:58 AM
Gainfully Employed

Interesting. I noticed the lack of feminine street names and thought it was because of the Quaker influence.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2005, 11:27 PM
I ate your kids. Sorry.

I'm not usually greedy, but I want a 3rd frickin condo. Even tho there is a 3rd one proposed on the other side around AAA, what the hell.. gimme another.

700 people *1000 when finished WILL GREATLY enhance our downtown nightlife. I can't believe how fast this gentrification has progressed. I have spoken to people from Southbridge, and thru the grapevine they know their 'hood is coming to its last days.

Mglan - have you driven up 4th and stopped at King? There are vacancy eviction thingies on the windows, and a rendering on a billboard above. Do the math, it should oversize Alico and hopefully block it out.

I would tear Alico down with my bare hands if it were possible.

Last edited by Joey D; Apr 4, 2005 at 11:35 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2005, 1:38 AM
Gainfully Employed

^I'd love to see the proposal BPG submitted for the old public works yard just south of the AAA building. Those guys do good work all through: design, construction, and concept.

I know the Mayor had big plans for Southbridge in the concept drawings for the next 10 + years out, but I don't see anything coming to Southbridge but a Hope VII project to replace that squalid dump still standing (and inhabited!) on New Castle Avenue (Route 9). This ain't New York, there aren't enough wealthy and adventurous people to move in to that neighborhood, and besides there are more accessible and desirable neighborhoods that can be gentrified (like, hopefully, West Center City).

I walk by that block (Market and 4th) 4 times a day. Thoses eviction notices are been there since the city bought the block four or five years ago. The last business still open there was Butch's Place, a hole in the wall bar, which closed about two months ago. There was originally going to be a large hotel and conference center on that block, but that fell through four years ago. I really hope that this Renaissance Centre is built; those developers don't seem to have their act together. Should see some dirt moved soon. It should be just a hair taller than the courthouse, but much bulkier.

I know what you mean with Alico. I actually don't mind the building so much anymore, I just don't like that it's in the dead center of that superblock between King and Walnut. It'd be much more impressive (?) if it were on King Street.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2005, 2:11 AM
Gainfully Employed

Some new construction photos from this afternoon (4-9-05):

The pile driver for the condo tower is in place and has driven three or four piles so far.

A close up of the pile driver and what looks like some kind of template or jig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe84323
What are they gonna do with that block to the south, Mglan? It's beat with an ugly stick.
Here's your answer (I realize it's a little difficult to read, but it says: Demo 4/11 Monday):

I'm anxious to see the glass in the walls as well and see how this thing is going to look. Also, the gaps between the panels are very noticable, and I'm curious to see how this is going to be handled. I've put a few photos of the preliminary site work of the 6 or 7 story Juniper Bank building on the Wilmington, DE thread in the "Projects & Construction" page.

Last edited by mglan80; Apr 11, 2005 at 1:52 AM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2005, 1:32 AM
Gainfully Employed

Here's a photo of an ad for the condo tower. Sorry for the bluriness.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2005, 11:17 AM
YIMBY co-founder

Still looking great Wish they'd build something like this over here too... (oh wait, they're gonna do so soon! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglan80
^^It is named after the Swedish Princess, and I didn't know that she was a lesbian.
Princess who later became queen, who then abdicated, moved to Rome, became a catholic.
The lesbian thing isn't debated much, since afaik it is the consensus today. But it is still just an analasys of her behavior and such (homosexuality wasn't exactly something to be open about in the 17th century).
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Apr 30, 2005, 4:05 AM

I like seeing brick used for the facade. I don't like seeing raw concrete on the facade. Brick and stonework give it a sense of both finish and solidity.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2005, 3:19 PM
Posting Quick Reply

I love the skyline shot from that view. its beautiful.

I love the wilmington skyline...it's so cool. it's the best mini-skyline in the world (beats phoenix and providence any day of the week)

Old Posted May 1, 2005, 1:29 AM
Gainfully Employed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan118
I love the wilmington skyline...it's so cool. it's the best mini-skyline in the world (beats phoenix and providence any day of the week)
Providence? Maybe. Phoenix? I think they've got us beaten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius Kwok
I like seeing brick used for the facade. I don't like seeing raw concrete on the facade. Brick and stonework give it a sense of both finish and solidity.
The brick panels does give an idea as to what the finished product will look like. There hasn't been much visible work going on lately, so no new photos this week. I'm thinking they'll top it out the second or third week in May.

Old Posted May 21, 2005, 11:33 PM
Gainfully Employed

Updated photos for May 21, 2005:

Only two more floors before she tops out.

Old Posted May 22, 2005, 12:41 AM
I ate your kids. Sorry.

Poor Guy.........

You know you're obligated to thread the OTHER Condo starting this month, PLUS Gateway, PLUS Renaissance, PLUS Two Christina Centre.

Wilmington is gonna work you, boy.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2005, 1:50 AM
Gainfully Employed

A few more images of Christina Landing's River Tower nearing (?) topping out. Do they hoist a tree for poured concrete?

This was taken a few days ago. This is as high as she's going to go (90 meters?).

Just before a righteous storm hit. The clouds from the west made this a must take photo, despite the otherwise shittiness of it.

More to follow on Saturday or Sunday. Maybe.

Oh yeah, and the weather has been utterly perfect these last two days (Thursday and Friday, June 16th and 17th).

Old Posted Jun 19, 2005, 12:59 AM
I ate your kids. Sorry.

I'm waiting, Matt. This Summer has come in with a roar. I believe the Italian Festival will be the biggest one ever with the good weather despite the above pic.

I also noticed on Market Street that the 2nd tower's caissons are already in the ground. Looks like the first floor is coming soon.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2005, 4:28 PM
Gainfully Employed

Joe, they're still driving piles. Looking at the site on Saturday, it looked like they had maybe a dozen piles driven so far. I don't know how many they used on the first tower, but they were driving piles for a good two and a half months. They've only been at it since very late May on the second tower. I'd say maybe late August before concrete starts getting poured.

I'm curious what they are going to do with the parking situation when the apartment building opens in the late fall. I'm assuming the tower crane in place now is going to be used to build the second tower, but it's on the spot where the garage is going to be built. Also, the pace that the street-work is going, I don't think A street is going to be finished until next year, so they won't be able to use the street for parking either.

Anyway, here's a few shots from this weekend. I wish I could get up in that building and see that view. Wilmington needs an observation deck or rooftop restaurant. I realize this is not Manhattan or Philadelphia or any other large city, but there's still alot to look at (at least during daylight hours).

Old Posted Jun 22, 2005, 1:01 AM

I like the tower and also the townhouses. The only thing I don't like about the townhouses is how close they are to the ones behind them. It makes a concrete jungle and a parking nightmare. I assume they have to put their cars in the garage. It doesn't look like they can park one outside their garage.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2005, 10:27 PM
Gainfully Employed

^That's the idea. The rear is just an alleyway. The garages are one-car, but there is parking available on the street (when they ever finish the street work). If they really wanted, they could park in front of their garage, parallel with the door. Maybe.

I'm kind of disappointed with the glass. I thought it would be more reflective. Not Cira Center, but more reflective. Still looks good, though.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2005, 10:36 PM
I ate your kids. Sorry.

Ehh, Mglan.... It was conservative to start with. Still looks decent though, and remember.. we have one left.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2005, 1:30 AM

Looks great!!!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2005, 2:06 AM
Gainfully Employed

She's topped out! It's sort of anti-climatic with a poured concrete building; no tree or flag on the last beam (well they did hang a small flag for a day over the side). Here's the release by the City...

‘Topping Out’ Celebration Held For New 23-Story Residences At Christina Landing, Wilmington’s Latest Residential Landmark

City, State, Buccini Pollin, and Gilbane Building Company Take Time to Thank Construction Trade Workers as They Mark Completion of Major Structural Work on the Building; New Aerial Views of the City Are Revealed

City and State officials joined representatives of the Buccini Pollin Group and Gilbane Building Company today for a ‘topping out’ celebration at the new 23-story residential apartment tower that is nearing completion at the Buccini Pollin Group’s Christina Landing project in South Wilmington.

A ‘topping out’ event is normally staged by the various construction trade workers to celebrate the completion of a project to its highest point in terms of overall structure and to take note of the quality of the work achieved without major injury to those involved in the project. Today’s event also afforded those in attendance, including members of the news media, an opportunity to view never-before seen aerial views of Wilmington’s Riverfront and Downtown Districts and surrounding neighborhoods that will soon be available to those who live in the new residential tower.

Work has been underway on the banks of the Christina River since April of 2004 on the new Residences at Christina Landing, a 23-story, 173-unit apartment tower. The building, which is approximately 65% complete, is scheduled for occupancy by the end of this year and will offer one, two, and three bedroom designs.

The entire nine-acre Christina Landing complex also includes 63 townhouses, a riverwalk and park area, and a soon-to-be-constructed 25-story condominium tower, entitled River Tower at Christina Landing, that will sit adjacent to the Residences at Christina Landing.

Among those who attended today’s ‘topping out’ ceremony were Wilmington Mayor James M. Baker, Wilmington Economic Development Director Richard V. Pryor, Delaware Lt. Governor John C. Carney, Delaware Transportation Secretary Nathan Hayward, 4th District City Council Member Hanifa Shabazz, Rob and Chris Buccini of the Buccini Pollin Group, and John Groth of Gilbane Building Company, Senior Project Manager for the Christina Landing Development.

---------------

They're in the process of taking down the tower crane (it actually disassembles itself) now. I'm curious as to where the new one will go to build the condo tower. Across the street? The drivers are still pounding piles.

Pictures to follow in an edit.

Last edited by mglan80; Jul 1, 2005 at 2:16 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive