HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2004 View Post
Right, because every silhouette photo of San Antonio (both as recognition of city, tourist attraction, and news sources) never uses that damn UFO restaurant that, was only built for one single event, has become platitudinal. Every other city used their world fair tribute to brace a better skyline, not limit its potential.
-CDM

*If I sound confrontational, I don't mean to be. I am just frustrated. And when I speak (write) about San Antonio's downtown and it's potential, my frustration can be strongly illustrated. I have lived here for a third of my life and, what, one building over a significant height has been built, longer for others. It's sad.
Have you ever traveled across Europe? Because your skyline theory would be shot to absolute ____!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 3:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by txex06 View Post
Have you ever traveled across Europe? Because your skyline theory would be shot to absolute ____!
Haha. No one is comparing the most historal cities in the world. But...have you seen Paris lately?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 4:49 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Enough useless bickering. Back to the topic of this thread. First and final warning.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 6:34 PM

Wow. This is so bad I don't even know where to start. We are turning one of our liveliest public spaces into a half assed gated sand pit. And when are we going to realize that auto, bike, and bis transit can be designed well info a public space? This design needlessly closes an important north south connection to traffic and mobility of all kinds, which will further fragment and disjoint downtown mobility. If you think this plaza is full of only tourists now, wait until it is effectively sealed off from the rest of the city. And the logic of choosing the battle era to reflect while ignoring all other history in the plaza is questionable. If it is not to be historically replicated (which it shouldn't) can we at least have an engaging design that enhances the city? Obviously a pretty big error in design team selection if you ask me. Please completely scrap this and start over.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 9:08 PM

The design does not seem to be to the taste of everyone, but really...nothing ever will be.
C'est la vie!

I personally love it, especially the glass walls. The night time renders seal the deal on them. They convey the sense of enclosure of the original structure without feeling confined, and help maintain north/south sight lines through the plaza. I feel that the glass will age well and not feel dated in 10, 20, 50 or 100 years. The glass South Gate has the potential to become an icon in its own right.

Overall, this is a solid design. It is respectful of the past, while still being modern.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 9:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
The design does not seem to be to the taste of everyone, but really...nothing ever will be.
C'est la vie!

I personally love it, especially the glass walls. The night time renders seal the deal on them. They convey the sense of enclosure of the original structure without feeling confined, and help maintain north/south sight lines through the plaza. I feel that the glass will age well and not feel dated in 10, 20, 50 or 100 years. The glass South Gate has the potential to become an icon in its own right.

Overall, this is a solid design. It is respectful of the past, while still being modern.
I like the glass, but have some concerns over safety. And the sand needs to go. It is going to create serious issues in all types of weather outside sunny, with no winds.
-CDM

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 12:16 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I like it. The glass wall is fine with me. ... That's not going to really block wind all that much.
Yes it is. Simple physics. Breeze hits glass... breeze doesn't go through glass... breeze doesn't reach person on other side of glass.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 7:05 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Yes it is. Simple physics. Breeze hits glass... breeze doesn't go through glass... breeze doesn't reach person on other side of glass.
It's a big, open plaza. Have you ever been in the middle of a football field surrounded by walls and stands? You can still feel a breeze. Wind can flow over a wall just like it flows over a car as you drive.

I'll grant you that if you stand right next to the wall, then you likely won't feel a breeze unless it's coming from the other direction.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 4:40 PM

Let's stay on topic. Thank you.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 2:02 AM
JACKinBeantown

I think we're on topic. We're talking about the design of the plaza, and the glass wall is clearly (no pun intended, but I'll take it) a big part of the design.

I respect your opinion, Izppjb, but I'd say I agree only with the part about standing next to the wall. The shape of an aerodynamically designed car or the gradual rise of a stadium are very different from a vertical wall at ground level in a very hot city. The wall looks to be at least 10 feet tall if not taller. I think it have quite an effect on the breeze.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 2:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I think we're on topic. We're talking about the design of the plaza, and the glass wall is clearly (no pun intended, but I'll take it) a big part of the design.

I respect your opinion, Izppjb, but I'd say I agree only with the part about standing next to the wall. The shape of an aerodynamically designed car or the gradual rise of a stadium are very different from a vertical wall at ground level in a very hot city. The wall looks to be at least 10 feet tall if not taller. I think it have quite an effect on the breeze.
Don't worry about it, they're hypersensitive about anything that they don't agree with. I'll be creating same topic pages so all opinions related to design, development, and structures of downtown will be welcomed. We are in America, opinions are of the upmost importance. Differentiating opinions, and especially those achieved, propel our understandings and our own perspectives in achieving unmasked advancements. Only children throw temper tantrums over ideas and statements they cannot comprehend, much less use to advance their own understanding.

If the topic is about downtown and it's surrounding structures, it's on topic. I do not see anyone commenting on stamps, movies, or The Simpsons.
-CDM

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 4:04 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Let's stay on topic. Thank you.
Talking about the main design element of this project is most definitely on topic.

Just because Jack and I don't necessarily agree doesn't mean we are going to devolve into personal attacks.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 4:33 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Talking about the main design element of this project is most definitely on topic.
Seconded.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 7:00 AM

Quote:

Just because Jack and I don't necessarily agree doesn't mean we are going to devolve into personal attacks.
That isn't what I am referring to. I've removed the off topic comments that led to my comment you quoted.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 4:27 PM
JACKinBeantown

Aaaah. OK then. Thanks, sirkingwilliam. Much respect.

THIS is off topic (yet still on topic): try saying ANYTHING that a guy in NY who is a moderator doesn't agree with. Large sections of the NY threads get removed on a seemingly daily basis. It's very frustrating.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 5:36 PM

I've emailed my city councilman about my reservations for this design concept. Might not have any effect but it's worth a shot...I encourage anyone else who oppose this plan to do the same!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 8:57 PM
James

I just hope that the glass covering the old walls stays intact. They have to close Alamo street in front in order for that to work though... so it's like ???

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 9:42 PM

My opinion on this design is evolving. I'm hoping that a more versatile design will be adopted, maybe one with movable walls and barriers that can be configured a few different ways, that will allow civic activities, occasional vehicle transit, etc. I think a very important part of Alamo Plaza's history has been its use as a city square, where lots of different events happen for the benefit of locals, not tourists. That function is still needed downtown, and I can't think of another appropriate place. The new Hemisfair Park, maybe, when it's finished.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 11:03 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
That isn't what I am referring to. I've removed the off topic comments that led to my comment you quoted.
My apologies, skw.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 11:04 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I get the reasoning behind having the gravel/sand in the courtyard. They want it to be an authentic experience. But I agree with the poster that said it would not be good for it to blow into the chapel.

Couldn't they just use large pavers that look/feel like sand on the surface? You get the look without the dust storms.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio