HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Fight brewing between new homeowners ad Heritage Regina over the Cook Residence on the corner of Albert & Hill Avenue. Owners bought in November and applied in same month to demolish.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...971398?cmp=rss
It was listed for $750K. Expensive lot.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 11:01 PM

On the one hand, many of those homes on Albert St. are beautiful and deserve to be preserved (or at least the exterior image). On the other...if it wasn't a heritage property before, then they shouldn't be able to just make it one after finding out someone wants to demolish it.

I'm on the fence because I don't want Albert St. filled with a bunch of square modern mansions like the east end, but the city also has to play fair.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 8:45 PM

So it sounds like the home was already on the heritage designation list and the new owner bought it already knowing that. In that case I have no sympathy for the new owner.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 9:21 PM

The house doesn't have heritage status yet, but has been on the heritage holdings list. Owners claim they didn't know it was on the holding list. (Two properties have been given heritage status against owners wishes in the past.)

Quote:
Adriana Gourgaris and Carmen Lien purchased the property back in November 2018 before applying to tear it down. While the pair were not present at the meeting, a representative named Layne Arthur told the commission they were unaware the house had the potential for heritage status.

...Arthur said Gourgaris and Lien had done their due diligence and proper repairs could rack up a $2.5 million tab. The heritage tax exemption is estimated at about $10,688.66 each year.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4832702/h...or-time-being/

I find it hard to believe the new owners are completely surprised there is opposition to this. I wonder if the rumours are true that they want to build rentals which would definitely not suit the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 9:47 PM

Are these the same people who tore down 62 Lowry in Albert Park? That house was listed at $950K at one time.

http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...postcount=5519

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Are these the same people who tore down 62 Lowry in Albert Park? That house was listed at $950K at one time.

http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...postcount=5519
Yes, same couple.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 5:59 AM
Hmm....

I have no sympathy in this one. With the one on College and Albert, it was such a hodge podge and really not all that attractive; I was on the fence on that one, leaning toward letting them rebuild... This one really does have historical character and significance. They shouldn't be able to knock it down just because.

If they didn't research their purchase, that's entirely on them. I find it hard to believe they actually didn't (as per their representative's statement)... it's 750k.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I have no sympathy in this one. With the one on College and Albert, it was such a hodge podge and really not all that attractive; I was on the fence on that one, leaning toward letting them rebuild... This one really does have historical character and significance. They shouldn't be able to knock it down just because.

If they didn't research their purchase, that's entirely on them. I find it hard to believe they actually didn't (as per their representative's statement)... it's 750k.
I'm sure they knew about it, but given that it's not registered on title, I could actually see some people not knowing it was on the holding list. How many people go to the city's website and check an obscure bylaw when buying a house?

In the end I'm completely against the preservation of single family houses, it's a direct affront to property rights and future development. That said, I bet this one gets preserved.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
I'm sure they knew about it, but given that it's not registered on title, I could actually see some people not knowing it was on the holding list. How many people go to the city's website and check an obscure bylaw when buying a house?.
People wouldn't. That would be the expectation of the lawyer facilitating the purchase, such as they do for any easements on the property.

According to city administration, Carmen Lien was made aware of the designation during his purchase of the property.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
People wouldn't. That would be the expectation of the lawyer facilitating the purchase, such as they do for any easements on the property.

According to city administration, Carmen Lien was made aware of the designation during his purchase of the property.
I think we should be careful about using the word "designated". This property is not a designated heritage property. It is on a holding list.

If Council is intent on saving this building, I would prefer that they make it clear that they will never re-zone it. Perhaps then the owner will lose interest in demolition. I do not like the precedent of preventing homeowners from redeveloping their own property. To my knowledge they have never done this before.

Also I understand Mr. Lien previously worked in City Planning and for a developer. I suspect he knows exactly what he is doing.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 3:26 PM

You can understand the interest in this property when you see the size of the lot. Also it is on the corner which is ideal for multi-family.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 4:12 PM

Quote:
You can understand the interest in this property when you see the size of the lot. Also it is on the corner which is ideal for multi-family.
These are just assumptions on my part but being a developer and knowing the crashing condo/multifamily home market in Regina I would expect that after demolition, the next move would be to apply for subdividing the land into 3 or 4 lots. Each lot could have a new (narrow) home built on it and sold, easily covering the $750k price that the land cost.

The detrimental effect that would have on the old Lakeview neighbourhood would be significant, IMHO. This also is quite different from the situation around 13 Leopold Cres as that was a home owner looking to develop a new single home for himself and his family. This property is now a developer looking to make a profit with no care for whom this might affect.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 4:34 PM

Quote:
These are just assumptions on my part but being a developer and knowing the crashing condo/multifamily home market in Regina I would expect that after demolition, the next move would be to apply for subdividing the land into 3 or 4 lots. Each lot could have a new (narrow) home built on it and sold, easily covering the $750k price that the land cost.

The detrimental effect that would have on the old Lakeview neighbourhood would be significant, IMHO. This also is quite different from the situation around 13 Leopold Cres as that was a home owner looking to develop a new single home for himself and his family. This property is now a developer looking to make a profit with no care for whom this might affect.
Its a 140 ft lot. 2 blocks away on Rae, the lots are 25 ft.

Last edited by Stormer; Jan 11, 2019 at 5:31 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 5:21 PM

Quote:

Leopold has also not been lived in for years and had serious mold problems. the Cook residence has been lived in continuously.

I agree the affect on Lakeview would be bad.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 6:34 PM

Carmen Lien is a real estate developer. He has part ownership in the new medical building on Prince Of Wales Drive, he has torn down and rebuilt his personal residence. There is no way on this planet IMO that he didn't know this property was on the holding list. There is also no way on this planet it would cost $2.5M to rehabilitate that home. He knew exactly what he was doing; just doesn't care. IMHO

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Its a 140 ft lot. 2 blocks away on Rae, the lots are 25 ft.
With homes that are period and placement appropriate. Don't compare apples to oranges.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 9:33 PM

Quote:
With homes that are period and placement appropriate. Don't compare apples to oranges.
I was merely agreeing with your theory that subdivision was a possible strategy of the owner.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
I sincerely doubt any lawyers check the holding list when facilitating any sale.

And more to my point, the title of this property does not indicate anything about being on the holding list, which is kind of insane. The only way to know is to look up the list.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 12:58 AM

The best thing that could happen to that property would for it to be torn down and have an apartment built. But it'll never happen, especially given that Hawkins lives a block away.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
The best thing that could happen to that property would for it to be torn down and have an apartment built. But it'll never happen, especially given that Hawkins lives a block away.
But in another thread you said to NOT tear down a building and instead refurbish?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan