HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 2:23 PM

SLC Council Meeting Recap

Recap of last night's SLC Council Meeting

https://mailchi.mp/aa6678f07828/reca...ouncil-meeting

"the Board heard from almost two dozen individuals about a proposal to redevelop the Utah Theater and adjacent retail property. The Board received clarification about challenges for the property to qualify for tax credits and historic designations. The theater is owned by the RDA, and property on either side of the building is owned by private developers who are proposing to redevelop all sites for a mixed-use housing development. The proposed development would contribute $1.7 to $2.9 million in public benefits above the property's value. The Board expects to hold a follow-up discussion in the coming weeks. Watch the Board's discussion on The Utah Theater here."

Contains a youtube clip of the discussion

Last edited by nushiof; Nov 13, 2019 at 2:36 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 3:36 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

You keep posting old photos of that theater and advocating to save it. The time to save it has long since past. It doesn’t look like that any more. At this point it would practically be a recreation and not a restoration/preservation. If your going to recreate the classic theater look, you might as well do it somewhere that make more sense and can have a much better street engagement... because let’s face it even in its heyday that place didn’t look very impressive on the outside, from Main Street.

The building across the street that some cried about for years didn’t get saved and nether will this one. Let’s face it, that block is prime for redevelopment. Everything on 100 south is going to go and pretty much everything on Main Street other then the beerhive building, the building next to it, and US Bank is going to go... and yes, the zions bank building on the corner will eventually go as well.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 3:47 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
Marvland, can you clarify the distinction here between raw city-owned land and land deeded to the redevelopment agency?
RDAs are set up as a quasi-independent agency to handle the redevelopment of property within its project area boundaries. It is controlled by a board which is the city council. City land can be disposed of by the city (mayor is the leader) for whatever purposes it deems right. In reality they both require approval of both the council and the Mayor, but the process is completely different. The RDA staff doesn't really handle city land disposition, the office of real estate services does (among other things). An example is the theater, which by RDA rules doesn't need to put the theater out for RFP because the bidders are abutting neighbors, the incentive packages and analysis where handled by RDA staff too. The Fleet Block on the other hand is city property, like a park is. In fact it's zoned as Public Land.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
You keep posting old photos of that theater and advocating to save it. The time to save it has long since past. It doesn’t look like that any more. At this point it would practically be a recreation and not a restoration/preservation. If your going to recreate the classic theater look, you might as well do it somewhere that make more sense and can have a much better street engagement... because let’s face it even in its heyday that place didn’t look very impressive on the outside, from Main Street.

The building across the street that some cried about for years didn’t get saved and nether will this one. Let’s face it, that block is prime for redevelopment. Everything on 100 south is going to go and pretty much everything on Main Street other then the beerhive building, the building next to it, and US Bank is going to go... and yes, the zions bank building on the corner will eventually go as well.

You’re wrong. The theater still looks like that. As you can see, I’ve covered the missing parts with curtains. My rendering would require seismic upgrading and little restoration, bringing the total cost way down.

“The beerhive and the building next to it” is called the Kearns building. When it was built it was declared the Capitol of Utah.

Last edited by Old&New; Nov 13, 2019 at 6:31 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
I apologize for taking so long to get to this. Here is the notice I received in the mail:

According to FFKR Architects this project will break ground at the beginning of 2020 and be called The Revival Apartments.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
According to FFKR Architects this project will break ground at the beginning of 2020 and be called The Revival Apartments.
Is that an exposed parking garage it is sitting on? From that picture it looks like an abomination.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 2:44 AM

CCH updates?

Any news on the CCH?

Are we still anticipating groundbreaking in Q1 2020?

Do we know who the operator will be? I remember some speculation a while back that the rendering hinted at Hyatt?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 3:14 AM

Just returned from the Salt Lake Planning Commission meeting tonight.

The Height request variance for the Kensington Tower was unamiously approved tonight !!!

I spoke with the architect of the project and he stated construction is slated to begin IN spring 2021!!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 3:19 AM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post

The Height request variance for the Kensington Tower was unamiously approved tonight !!!

I spoke with the architect of the project and he stated construction is slated to begin IN spring 2021!!
Excellent!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 3:21 AM

Quote:

A year and a half away from construction starting? That seems like a while for a project that has been fast-moving thus far.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastroc View Post
A year and a half away from construction starting? That seems like a while for a project that has been fast-moving thus far.
I think the Carl's Jr. has a lease on the property through the end of 2020.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I think the Carl's Jr. has a lease on the property through the end of 2020.
Bummer. Was really hoping for a 2020 start. Oh well. Glad it got approved.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 4:23 AM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastroc View Post
This whole process is LIGHTSPEED for a tower if this scope. Hope it stays on track.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 5:23 AM
Ironweed

I read an article in the trib that the city transferred the deed and land to Hines today. The tower is going forward. The theater won't be preserved, but they intend to use elements of it in the tower.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 10:06 PM

Constructiion fencing is going up around the West Quarter site today!!

Looks like another big project is imminent!!

Also, does anyone know what the hell is going on with Regent Street??

Another Business has closed (Last Desserts) along with Fireside.
Are they being charged exorbitant rents?
Isnt the landlord for these properties the LDS Church?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:

This is very exciting. So much seems to be coming online every week now!!

The Ritchie Group

Last edited by delts145; Nov 15, 2019 at 4:10 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 1:07 AM

Delts, is that the latest rendering of the Richie group project? I almost didn’t recognize it at 1st. It’s changed quite a bit over time.

If this info is good, I’m glad to see it moving forward. That area could use some new development love.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 1:58 AM

Let's just cross our fingers that these developers don't just demolish the existing buildings, but actually build those nicely designed new buildings. We've seen many examples of ambitious developers going ahead and demolishing stuff and then find out they can't afford to build what they proposed.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Let's just cross our fingers that these developers don't just demolish the existing buildings, but actually build those nicely designed new buildings. We've seen many examples of ambitious developers going ahead and demolishing stuff and then find out they can't afford to build what they proposed.
The good news for this project the only thing that needs to be cleared is surface lots. The next phase will remove structures.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 3:54 AM

Quote:

Also, does anyone know what the hell is going on with Regent Street??

Another Business has closed (Last Desserts) along with Fireside.
Are they being charged exorbitant rents?
Isnt the landlord for these properties the LDS Church?
NOOO! I loved Last Course. That place was delicious. I can't believe it has closed. Every time I've been there it's been busy. I thought it was doing really well with the hordes of people leaving the Eccles theatre after a show!

I don't know what the circumstances were, but I think it's a real disadvantage to have to be closed on Sundays.

EDIT: I just learned that in the case of Last Course, they've closed all of their Utah locations. So it was a company issue, not Regent Street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West