HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 5:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
As I said one of the UN's scenarios (lower end birthrate) predicts the peak mid century. All I am saying is that I subscribe to the low end scenario. You obviously do not.

Regarding Nigeria, I just can't see that kind of growth without an implosion

That graph only shows up to the year 2050. Historically, the World's population has leaned heavily towards to high-end projections.

Here is a graph of population projections, forecasting the population to the year 2100, where numerous reliable publications are projecting the population to hit 11.2 Billion.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 3:40 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Excellent post, Molson.

That post was well thought out, and I present you with this image to show my appreciation.
Great Rebuttal. Now, how about you concentrate on forcing municipalities to merge to the inflate population statistics of your city (somewhere in Alberta...Quel Surprise), just so you can feel better about yourself.

Have you got a problem with Quebeckers?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 3:47 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Birthrates are still above replacement in the USA, China, and Brazil.
This is untrue. China has been way below replacement level since the 1960s, and Brazil, for quite some time. As of the most recent figures available, the United States has also slipped below the replacement level. Perhaps you should eat more poutine, as it improves your ability to conduct research.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2127rank.html
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 4:26 PM

More info on birthrates:

Quote:
The replacement fertility rate is roughly 2.0 births per woman for most industrialized countries (2.075 in the UK, for example), but ranges from 2.5 to 3.3 in developing countries because of higher mortality rates. Taken globally, the total fertility rate at replacement is 2.33 children per woman.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_fertility_rate

What is with Singapore? 0.81? Do they hate kids there, or are they just too busy making money?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 5:02 PM

Quote:
The World population is expected to reach 9.7 billion people by 2050, and 11.2 billion people by 2100. There is no reliable sources that predict the population will fall (I assume you mean decline) by 2050.

http://www.un.org/en/development/des...15-report.html

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...0-boom-africa/

You are basing your argument over things you predict will happen. How do you know that Nigeria will not reach one billion people by 2100?

Birthrates have tended to actually increase in times of political instability, especially in developing countries. Since education and birth control policies are neglected, the birth rate tends to increase faster. This has been happening in Africa since World War 2.

How about we get back to the question you posed at the start of this thread?

How will the discussion on the worlds ever growing population, birthrates, developing countries roles, etc. effect water supplies, and thier relation to Oil in the future?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 9:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Great Rebuttal. Now, how about you concentrate on forcing municipalities to merge to the inflate population statistics of your city (somewhere in Alberta...Quel Surprise), just so you can feel better about yourself.
ok then....

Quote:
Have you got a problem with Quebeckers?
You are imagining things, Molson. I love Quebec.

I have attached this image of Bonhomme, as a peace offering.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 8:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
How about we get back to the question you posed at the start of this thread?

How will the discussion on the worlds ever growing population, birthrates, developing countries roles, etc. effect water supplies, and thier relation to Oil in the future?
Simple.

When given the choice between oil and water, people will always choose water. As 3rd world countires continue to grow, and engulf a higher percentage of the World's population, their citizens, most living in absolute poverty, will require fresh drinking water.

Now traditionally developed countries don't care about the poor, until it affects them in some way. This will happen through mass exodus from poor countries like we are seeing in Europe. It's only a matter of time before economies of the world collapse, and not wanting to die, a great percentage of Latin Americans will try everything to get into the UNited States. this will include:

-hiding on trains
-hiding in boats
-swimming or paddling on rafts across the Rio Grande
-hiding in vehicles that enter the USA
-crossing the border on foot
-hiding planes to take them to the USA

Sadly, this will put pressure on the resources that the United States has. Not thinking clearly, President Trump will spike the drinking water trying to rid southern US states of refugees. Only problem is, he realizes that now nobody in states like Texas, Florida, California, Arizona, etc. have water to drink. Trump will look north, and visit Manitoba.

Amazed by the abundance of fresh water, Trump will buy Manitoba, and divert fresh water to all US states via pipelines and other means. Other provinces will feel the effects of the fresh water boom, but it will be Manitoba that stands to see the economic boom of water increasing exponentially in price. Trump will also outlaw the NDP as a political party, and reverse the damage they have done on this province.

I have no doubt that the population of Manitoba will hit 2,000,000 people within 20 years. Winnipeg will eventually overtake Ottawa, Edmonton, and Calgary in population. Global warming will also create a Northwest passage, that will make Churchill and Thompson grow to 100,000 residents. Thompson will benefit from the demand of fresh water, while Churchill will become a major shipping port.

Winnipeg will hit 1,500,000 people.
Millions will become rich.
The Jets will win the Stanley Cup.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 1:30 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Simple.

When given the choice between oil and water, people will always choose water. As 3rd world countires continue to grow, and engulf a higher percentage of the World's population, their citizens, most living in absolute poverty, will require fresh drinking water.

Now traditionally developed countries don't care about the poor, until it affects them in some way. This will happen through mass exodus from poor countries like we are seeing in Europe. It's only a matter of time before economies of the world collapse, and not wanting to die, a great percentage of Latin Americans will try everything to get into the UNited States. this will include:

-hiding on trains
-hiding in boats
-swimming or paddling on rafts across the Rio Grande
-hiding in vehicles that enter the USA
-crossing the border on foot
-hiding planes to take them to the USA

Sadly, this will put pressure on the resources that the United States has. Not thinking clearly, President Trump will spike the drinking water trying to rid southern US states of refugees. Only problem is, he realizes that now nobody in states like Texas, Florida, California, Arizona, etc. have water to drink. Trump will look north, and visit Manitoba.

Amazed by the abundance of fresh water, Trump will buy Manitoba, and divert fresh water to all US states via pipelines and other means. Other provinces will feel the effects of the fresh water boom, but it will be Manitoba that stands to see the economic boom of water increasing exponentially in price. Trump will also outlaw the NDP as a political party, and reverse the damage they have done on this province.

I have no doubt that the population of Manitoba will hit 2,000,000 people within 20 years. Winnipeg will eventually overtake Ottawa, Edmonton, and Calgary in population. Global warming will also create a Northwest passage, that will make Churchill and Thompson grow to 100,000 residents. Thompson will benefit from the demand of fresh water, while Churchill will become a major shipping port.

In a messed up way I'd want to see things happen that way because it would be so unexpected.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 5:47 PM

^^ that was an entertaining response...in a DreamScape kinda way..Humor helps us get through the day at times. Moving on..

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 1:09 AM

I read somewhere that the US already had plans to reverse the Red River. Think it was a Newsweek article. As the Aquifer under Neb, Okla, Iowa, Kansas, is drained away that area, which grows that most important of all crops -Corn-will need water and lots. The article talked about Free Trade plans, also Invasion plans. As a poster said it all flows to us, one giant reservoir for the tapping! I don't see our region booming no matter how they acquire our water.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Simple.
You had us all going until you put in that last line....

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 4:50 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
You had us all going until you put in that last line....
I believe the hockey news predicts the jets winning the cup in 2019 so not too far off.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 5:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I believe the hockey news predicts the jets winning the cup in 2019 so not too far off.
I predict 2018 now.

The Jets being one of the winning lottery teams (Laine), and Boston screwing up in 2015 draft, not picking Kyle Connor, will cement the Jets rise to the top

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runt View Post
I read somewhere that the US already had plans to reverse the Red River. Think it was a Newsweek article. As the Aquifer under Neb, Okla, Iowa, Kansas, is drained away that area, which grows that most important of all crops -Corn-will need water and lots. The article talked about Free Trade plans, also Invasion plans. As a poster said it all flows to us, one giant reservoir for the tapping! I don't see our region booming no matter how they acquire our water.
There are no end of crazy ideas out there. Take a look at this one to dam up James Bay and convey the fresh water south.

https://seeker401.wordpress.com/2009...canal-project/

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 2:22 AM

The NWT would boom as well, since the territory itself has 2 incredibly large sources of water and hundreds of thousands of tiny deposits all over the place.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 8:03 PM

A couple articles today about water on CBC. Specifically the Great Lakes. Exactly the type of stuff this thread is about.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windso...731227?cmp=rss
Canadian, U.S. mayors scramble to stop diversion of water from Great Lakes
Inland Wisconsin city of Waukesha got green light to divert water from Lake Michigan to its taps
The Canadian Press Posted: Aug 22, 2016 3:14 PM ET Last Updated: Aug 22, 2016 3:23 PM ET

And this one.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...730349?cmp=rss
Amid drought, environmentalists want Nestlé to stop water taking in Aberfoyle, Ont.
Permit for Nestlé Waters in Aberfoyle expired on July 31 but company still extracting water, group says
The Canadian Press Posted: Aug 21, 2016 9:47 PM ET Last Updated: Aug 22, 2016 10:51 AM ET

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 5:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
A couple articles today about water on CBC. Specifically the Great Lakes. Exactly the type of stuff this thread is about.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windso...731227?cmp=rss
Canadian, U.S. mayors scramble to stop diversion of water from Great Lakes
Inland Wisconsin city of Waukesha got green light to divert water from Lake Michigan to its taps
The Canadian Press Posted: Aug 22, 2016 3:14 PM ET Last Updated: Aug 22, 2016 3:23 PM ET

And this one.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...730349?cmp=rss
Amid drought, environmentalists want Nestlé to stop water taking in Aberfoyle, Ont.
Permit for Nestlé Waters in Aberfoyle expired on July 31 but company still extracting water, group says
The Canadian Press Posted: Aug 21, 2016 9:47 PM ET Last Updated: Aug 22, 2016 10:51 AM ET
Good find.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 1:45 AM

Quote:
The World population is expected to reach 9.7 billion people by 2050, and 11.2 billion people by 2100. There is no reliable sources that predict the population will fall (I assume you mean decline) by 2050.

http://www.un.org/en/development/des...15-report.html

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...0-boom-africa/

You are basing your argument over things you predict will happen. How do you know that Nigeria will not reach one billion people by 2100?

Birthrates have tended to actually increase in times of political instability, especially in developing countries. Since education and birth control policies are neglected, the birth rate tends to increase faster. This has been happening in Africa since World War 2.
Is the environment more important than people? You are part of the problem you are making up. There are ways of feeding 11 billion people. The world's amount of children is not increasing, the population growth is just because people are living longer.

You seem to see the world as a harsh place you don't want to bring more people into. Why don't you lighten up, see the amazing things that are happening. The industrial revolution brought the population from a dirt poor 1 billion to a much richer 7.4 so far. If China-style industrial development can reach the entire world, the entire world will be rich, and can use the money to overcome the problems(like using desalination for water problems.)

If there's too many people, you are one of them. Why don't you stop using electricity, and eating food moved large distances by going to the forest and foraging for your food. You want to live with the benefits of development, but you don't want more people to live with them. I think this is very interesting, and something you should ask yourself about, and find out why you are this way. Probably something in your past has made you think of the world as a place where there are too many people, and/or a harsh place where people should not be brought to.

Let's overcome the issues instead of telling people why we are going to have to live with less.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
I couldn't agree more with Bomberjet.

Moreover, Once the carbon count reaches 450 ppm, natural feedbacks will kick in. (2C --- AVERAGE --- global temperature rise from 2008.) Simply put, the train will have left the station. (Presently, we're at 413 ppm and during the winter of '07-08, we were at 385 ppm.) We WILL blow by 500 ppm before we stop this juggernaut.

During the Industrial Revolution, our planet was at 275 ppm; things are picking up speed.

In the Western World, Latin America, Mexico and the Southern States will dry up. (Not to mention other locales within the Tropical/Subtropical regions worldwide.)
CO2 is good for plants. I support the increase in CO2. This study shows that increased CO2 is good for the world economy(until 2080), even if you accept that CO2 causes the levels of warming with positive feedback.(I have been convinced of negative feedback by ocean temperature data, but you may disagree) Cold kills many more people than heat.

http://pubs.aeaweb.org/doi/pdfplus/10.1257/jep.23.2.29

Last edited by njaohnt; Sep 6, 2016 at 2:26 AM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 6:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by njaohnt View Post
Is the environment more important than people? You are part of the problem you are making up. There are ways of feeding 11 billion people. The world's amount of children is not increasing, the population growth is just because people are living longer.
The birth rate exceeds the death rate in all developing countries. We cannot even feed 7 million people, and you seriously think we will have no problem feeding 11 million people?

Quote:
You seem to see the world as a harsh place you don't want to bring more people into. Why don't you lighten up, see the amazing things that are happening.
I never said anything of the sort. BY denying that the World has too many human beings, you are simply ignoring the problem.

Quote:
The industrial revolution brought the population from a dirt poor 1 billion to a much richer 7.4 so far. If China-style industrial development can reach the entire world, the entire world will be rich, and can use the money to overcome the problems(like using desalination for water problems.)
That will never happen.

Additionally, most of the World's population lives in poverty. You are ignorant to the problems the World is facing. Have you ever been on a reserve? There are problems with poverty, inadequate housing, and water supplies for a substantial amount of people in Canada.

Quote:
If there's too many people, you are one of them. Why don't you stop using electricity, and eating food moved large distances by going to the forest and foraging for your food. You want to live with the benefits of development, but you don't want more people to live with them. I think this is very interesting, and something you should ask yourself about, and find out why you are this way. Probably something in your past has made you think of the world as a place where there are too many people, and/or a harsh place where people should not be brought to.
Now you are being a condescending prick.

To tell you the truth, I would much rather live to only be 45, and lead a happy and fulfilling life, than live to be 80, and be a product of the rat race. Our first Nations people lived this way for thousands of years. What has increased life expectancy brought them? It must be wonderful to live a life with complete indifference and ignorance to the plight of most of the World's population. Just look no further then what is happening with the migrant problem in Europe as a example of this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan