HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
Absolutely, was a Sal's drive in at one time in the '60's and was in competition with the A&W on the SW corner of Roseberry/Ellice. The guys from Bristol Aero and Ray-o-vac across the street kept it busy all night long.

In early 50's to mid 60's, Sal's was at:

N/W Portage & Spence, next to CBC.
S/W Notre Dame @ Arlington
N/W Notre Dame @ Flint
S/W Portage @ Camden
N/W Corydon @ Wilton
N/W Broadway @ Main (bsmt Ft Garry Courts)
N/W Osborne @ Morley in the old Piggly Wiggly
Pembina & Stafford
S/E Main & Matheson
Garry St. S of Portage Parkaide
S/E Broadway & Donald
N/W Osborne and Morley is a former Bank of Montreal, right? Or did it predate that? What's a Piggly Wiggly??

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 3:47 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
freeweed u mean vaugn street billiards?
Yeah, whatever it's called now - it used to be Las Vegas back in my day (kudos to the memory of Kinguni!).

Quote:
the mets not a rotting corps its been on life support for 20 yrs and is currently undergoing work... the little building beside it was torn down this week
It's been effectively a derelict, abandoned building since I was in high school. Which was in the 1980s. Every year or five, someone comes along with a project to use it for something, and nothing happens. The Met was in my mind the single best symbol of Winnipeg over the past century - its prior greatness, its slow decline, its eventual fall into utter decay, constant plans to fix things that never go anywhere, and (hopefully for the Met as well) an eventual climb to new heights.

"Rotting corpse" is a pretty decent analogy, although of course this all changes once something is done with it. Plenty of buildings in Winnipeg have gone unused longer and been restored (Union Bank building, anyone?).

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 4:39 PM

Rotting corpses don't usually have their roof replaced and a new heating system installed while they rot though.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubberMiley View Post
Rotting corpses don't usually have their roof replaced and a new heating system installed while they rot though.
New heating system? I thought it was just a few portable furnaces. Or are you suggesting that renos are underway?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 9:23 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
New heating system? I thought it was just a few portable furnaces. Or are you suggesting that renos are underway?
take a walk by the met there flatlander u can see work going on inside from the street through the new windows....

and yea it was just a couple furnaces they put in it...

wonders if they will replace the ventalation system up in the attic? witch is a spiderweb dust collection............ then theres the famouse hidden staircase with all the names of people who worked there ritten on it. i hope thats not painted over and the tradition is continued

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 10:42 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Yeah, whatever it's called now - it used to be Las Vegas back in my day (kudos to the memory of Kinguni!).

It's been effectively a derelict, abandoned building since I was in high school. Which was in the 1980s. Every year or five, someone comes along with a project to use it for something, and nothing happens.
My great-grandparents used to clean it in the 1960s, and my mom used to watch movies there apparently in 1985? Back when busfare was either 50 or 35 cents, if I heard her right

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 12:18 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

remembers when bus fare was still 75cents

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 7:09 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
remembers when bus fare was still 75cents
I wish it was still 75 cents, imagine how many riders there'd be

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 7:17 AM

everything used to be cheaper back in the day haha

but costs gotta go up.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 7:44 AM

Got on the bus for a dime when I was a kid. Then it was 15¢. Then the big jump to 25¢!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 8:28 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Got on the bus for a dime when I was a kid. Then it was 15¢. Then the big jump to 25¢!
I forget how much it used to be, but it was apparently $55 for an youth pass in 2000/2001? somewhere around there

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 1:02 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

was 44 something for a youth pass right around then

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 1:15 PM
GQMF

Chuck-e-cheese.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 1:33 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
was 44 something for a youth pass right around then
I wasnt much off

And anyone remember Adventure City near Confusion Corner? LOVED that place when I was a kid

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 4:54 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

and darkzone

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 4:11 PM
Home of Hyperchange

I don't remember the bus fares back when, but I do remember when Winnipeg Transit buses still had ashtrays on them - and you could smoke on the bus!

That alone makes me realize how much things have changed.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 5:06 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
That alone makes me realize how much things have changed.
Or more importantly... how it probably seemed like a HUGE issue then and now is just accepted without any public anguish or claims of human rights violations.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2012, 6:57 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Or more importantly... how it probably seemed like a HUGE issue then and now is just accepted without any public anguish or claims of human rights violations.
That too - it's surprising how much vigorously fought for simply because "it's the way things have always been", without any actual thought put into it.

I'm waxing poetic on the public smoking issue lately. I've been watching Mad Men and seeing what people did 50 years ago is almost nauseating when thought of in modern terms.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
N/W Osborne and Morley is a former Bank of Montreal, right? Or did it predate that? What's a Piggly Wiggly??
...next building to the North. Most of the Sal's were narrow and long, with the grill and fridges along one wall, counter/stools and walking room on the other. The cook usually doubled as a counter person.

Quote freeweed I don't remember the bus fares back when, but I do remember when Winnipeg Transit buses still had ashtrays on them - and you could smoke on the bus!

That alone makes me realize how much things have changed. QUOTE.

I can go back a long way on the buses, back to the old Ford gas buses when fares were a nickle, as was the street car that we used to take to City Park, also I still have orange bus tickets that I paid 7 for a dollar, but I never seen smoking on a city bus, not even a trolley. I'm not saying that we didn't have a butt in the full width back seat, with the window cracked wide open, but there never was an open smoking policy in my days.

Further to downtown atmosphere, does anyone remember the bald-headed newspaper vendor that had the corner at S/W Portage and Donald? He was there for at least 20 years that I can remember. He had the perennial Players cigarette hanging out the corner of his mouth, and used to shout out the news headline of the day; "Tribune morning edition, Diefenbaker Racks up a Lead, Tribune 10 cents!" He stood on that corner from early morning till 6 o'clock each night, rain or shine and then truddle down to the Vendome Hotel for a couple quick one's. He wore a big brown woolen overcoat, one garbage mitt and his change hand was always bare, even at -30 below. I can only remember seeing him with a toque when the temperature got down to -35 or more. He would alter his news stand from the Portage side to the Donald side depending on which way the wind blew and he relied on the exhaust heat that came out of the doors at Eaton's to keep warm. He couldn't read or write, so the guy that dropped him his papers in the morning would read him the headline and he would sing it all day long.

He would break a dollar for you, but if you pulled a 'fin', he would say, "Got no change, no change, come again later, got no change". And if you gave him a tip, "thank you, Sir... thank you....sun's going to shine..." He was one of those street people that predicate that Winnipeg does have a soul.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 6:58 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
I never seen smoking on a city bus, not even a trolley. I'm not saying that we didn't have a butt in the full width back seat, with the window cracked wide open, but there never was an open smoking policy in my days.
I suspect it never came to your attention, no more than someone wearing an iPod would be noticed today. Smoking was *everywhere* not that long ago. Hell, I can still remember when shopping malls first restricted it to food courts, boy howdy did that cause an uproar. Can you imagine walking through a shopping mall smoking today? It's as bizarre a thought as walking around naked.

I seem to recall buses removing their ashtrays around the same time airlines started welding theirs shut, although in the case of airlines it highly depended on carrier and route for a while. I do distinctly remember ashtrays mounted on the metal poles of the older Wpg Transit buses, at least around the back doors anyway - at least as recently as the mid 80s.

I hope I'm not mixing up transit buses with Greyhounds and such here. Anything's possible when it comes to 30 year old memories.

I also seem to recall a news story about that newspaper guy, when he retired/died or whatever happened to him.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan