HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeeg View Post
Some of you are going to hang me for this but I think/hope it will attract more kids shows like the wiggles and other big names that draw kids from all over. Believe it or not, if you can cater to the kids, you will have mounds of success.
This is true. Kids stuff can bring in the big bucks because parents do spent. Are there any shows that are bigger than Walking with Dinosaurs that we couldn't host before for size?

Are there any big festivals that this might be a better fit for than anything we have?

ETA: Angus Reid is currently conducting a phone survey on Sask Politics and they do specifically ask about the stadium. I just got a call. It'll be interesting to see where the numbers are if they release those numbers later this month.

Last edited by StealthGirl; Aug 4, 2009 at 9:51 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 11:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
ETA: Angus Reid is currently conducting a phone survey on Sask Politics and they do specifically ask about the stadium. I just got a call. It'll be interesting to see where the numbers are if they release those numbers later this month.
Very interesting. Someone has hired them to do this, and someone has inserted that question. Maybe the government is checking to see which position will catch more votes?

That's a bit conflicting. On the one hand it could be considered to be 'consultation' with the public. But on the other hand a popularity survey doesn't always lead to the best decision.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 11:51 PM
Closed account

[QUOTE=grumpy old man;4389815]I've been following this thread with interest. I have to say that for the most part Archie Teck has been polite, offered reasoned opinion and considered debate

Last edited by timewilltell; Sep 28, 2009 at 11:26 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 12:51 AM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post
I've been following this thread with interest. I have to say that for the most part Archie Teck has been polite, offered reasoned opinion and considered debate.

On the other hand the rebuttals have been emotionally charged, rude and condescending.

More's the pity.
Yeah, I too have been following this thread and with exception to certain emotional responses, the discussion has managed to retain its value (without interference from me ).

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post
I've been following this thread with interest. I have to say that for the most part Archie Teck has been polite, offered reasoned opinion and considered debate.

On the other hand the rebuttals have been emotionally charged, rude and condescending.

More's the pity.
It's bound to get a little emotionally charged. Regina is in a position that alot of other cities would love to be in right now with a possible first class facility coming to fruition, and people are trying to be positive about the whole process, so when you have people being negative or cynical with fear mongering saying the whole process is a sham so to speak and it will never work and things like that, it is hard to stay positive.

I think the best option of 4 released in the study is the retractable dome option. A new open air stadium would be great but it still leaves the city with a stadium that can't be used half the year and the Brandt center is not nearly a large enough venue for something like an AC/DC that could be touring during those 6 or 7 non-use months. 40,000 tickets sold in less than an hour. If the larger capacity of a new domed stadium was available that concert would easily have sold 50,000. Maybe more. Or like the stones maybe 2 shows, schedule permitting.

Furthermore I believe a new stadium will be a catylist for other projects in the downtown and in close proximity of the stadium which will create jobs before during and after construction and will have a positive effect on the economy of the whole province including tourism. Maybe I'm naive in thinking that the powers that be who are pulling the strings on this possible project have everybody's interests in mind but I can only be positive and hope so. That's my 2 cents worth. Feel free to put those 2 cents towards the cost of the (retractable) ReginaDome when the project gets the go ahead.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 2:40 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottie View Post
It's bound to get a little emotionally charged. Regina is in a position that alot of other cities would love to be in right now with a possible first class facility coming to fruition, and people are trying to be positive about the whole process, so when you have people being negative or cynical with fear mongering saying the whole process is a sham so to speak and it will never work and things like that, it is hard to stay positive.

I think the best option of 4 released in the study is the retractable dome option. A new open air stadium would be great but it still leaves the city with a stadium that can't be used half the year and the Brandt center is not nearly a large enough venue for something like an AC/DC that could be touring during those 6 or 7 non-use months. 40,000 tickets sold in less than an hour. If the larger capacity of a new domed stadium was available that concert would easily have sold 50,000. Maybe more. Or like the stones maybe 2 shows, schedule permitting.

Furthermore I believe a new stadium will be a catylist for other projects in the downtown and in close proximity of the stadium which will create jobs before during and after construction and will have a positive effect on the economy of the whole province including tourism. Maybe I'm naive in thinking that the powers that be who are pulling the strings on this possible project have everybody's interests in mind but I can only be positive and hope so. That's my 2 cents worth. Feel free to put those 2 cents towards the cost of the (retractable) ReginaDome when the project gets the go ahead.
way to go positive thinking the key to life

Last edited by timewilltell; Sep 28, 2009 at 11:27 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 2:42 AM
Closed account

that is an amazing

Last edited by timewilltell; Sep 28, 2009 at 11:27 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 4:06 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewilltell View Post
way to go positive thinking the key to life this will creare a whole new downtown regina people are scared of that who wouldnt be most of the players are in place the hotels ect ect it will be all good
I need some Aspirin®.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 6:23 AM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo View Post
I need some Aspirin®.
The ignore list is longer lasting

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 7:38 AM

The apparent fundamental misunderstanding between factions is that this is an ENTHUSIAST'S forum. That is why speculation on the "good" end of things is useful/desirable/acceptable and continual, repetitive negative speculation is not really welcome.

This is definitely the place for dreams/wish lists etc and if you are continually negative with a similar message every single time you just appear to be raining on a parade/being contrary for the sake of being contrary and so forth.

Which is a constraint on brainstorming and creativity and that is exactly why this particular thread was started separate from the main Regina Construction thread. To foster those elements and discussion about the POSSIBILITIES first and worry about limitations second.

Can we please get this thread back on track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
The ignore list is longer lasting

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 11:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
An overwhelming desire to follow the pied piper's misleading but positive tune is unfortunately what may lead us down a garden path. What you see on this forum is groupthink in action. A vocal faction wants to take everyone else's resources and spend them on somethiing frivolous. They trump up some phony baloney justifications, keep most of the process secret, and they make sure their promises are far into the future and are based on non-measurable factors like "economic impact". When some people do pop up to say "what a minute people, we should really think this through first" then the groupthink police break out the pitchforks. But hey, we wouldn't be alone, as several other cities have flop stadiums that they now regret.

We have an amazing opportunity before us to actually use our brains BEFORE we repeat the mistake made by our counterparts. We have the chance to come up with something so much better than the secret back office boys club is trying to shove down our throat. We can do so many more great things with our resources. We just have to use our heads people. Don't get hypnotized with false promises of dozens of A-list concerts per year, World Cup soccer, and NFL teams fighting each other for the chance to relocate here. This is all spin, and someone pointing out how phony it all is would not be something you classify as positive versus negative - it should be something that gives everyone pause for thought.

Quote:
I think the best option of 4 released in the study is the retractable dome option. A new open air stadium would be great but it still leaves the city with a stadium that can't be used half the year and the Brandt center is not nearly a large enough venue for something like an AC/DC that could be touring during those 6 or 7 non-use months.
I predict AC/DC will visit Regina before the domed stadium is built. I can't say when, but I just feel like it will happen.

I know it seems impossible, since we don't have a Fargodome, and many stadium fanatics are saying we must have a dome in order to attract an act like AC/DC. But I don't care. I'm calling for a Queen City miracle here. AC/DC will tour Regina BEFORE a dome is built! I stake my reputation on this bold prediction.

Quote:
40,000 tickets sold in less than an hour. If the larger capacity of a new domed stadium was available that concert would easily have sold 50,000. Maybe more.
The capacity of the dream dome is supposed to be mid 30's. So if anything, it would limit ticket sales. The facility only gets their lease fee, so the high crowd size only benefits the act and the promoter who sell more tickets and merchandise.

Quote:
Furthermore I believe a new stadium will be a catylist for other projects in the downtown and in close proximity of the stadium which will create jobs before during and after construction
What high value permanent jobs do you see being created, and how many of each kind of job. I still contend that even if the stadium could create say 35 jobs, it will still be better to just each of those individuals $10 million each in cash. They could then slosh that money around town, probably having a better effect on the economy. Point is $10 million per head is a lot to pay for job creation. It far exceeds what these people would even earn during their lifetime.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 12:00 PM
BANNED

Adios everyone, this thread used to be fun until Calvert showed up so I'm out of here. Its no use discussing this with someone who's arguments are the equivalent of putting new seats and a coat of paint on Maple Leaf Gardens instead of building a brand new Air Canada Centre.

See you at the new stadium...........

Last edited by Migs; Aug 5, 2009 at 3:00 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie Teck View Post
An overwhelming desire to follow the pied piper's misleading but positive tune is unfortunately what may lead us down a garden path. What you see on this forum is groupthink in action. A vocal faction wants to take everyone else's resources and spend them on somethiing frivolous. They trump up some phony baloney justifications, keep most of the process secret, and they make sure their promises are far into the future and are based on non-measurable factors like "economic impact". When some people do pop up to say "what a minute people, we should really think this through first" then the groupthink police break out the pitchforks. But hey, we wouldn't be alone, as several other cities have flop stadiums that they now regret.

We have an amazing opportunity before us to actually use our brains BEFORE we repeat the mistake made by our counterparts. We have the chance to come up with something so much better than the secret back office boys club is trying to shove down our throat. We can do so many more great things with our resources. We just have to use our heads people. Don't get hypnotized with false promises of dozens of A-list concerts per year, World Cup soccer, and NFL teams fighting each other for the chance to relocate here. This is all spin, and someone pointing out how phony it all is would not be something you classify as positive versus negative - it should be something that gives everyone pause for thought.

I predict AC/DC will visit Regina before the domed stadium is built. I can't say when, but I just feel like it will happen.

I know it seems impossible, since we don't have a Fargodome, and many stadium fanatics are saying we must have a dome in order to attract an act like AC/DC. But I don't care. I'm calling for a Queen City miracle here. AC/DC will tour Regina BEFORE a dome is built! I stake my reputation on this bold prediction.

The capacity of the dream dome is supposed to be mid 30's. So if anything, it would limit ticket sales. The facility only gets their lease fee, so the high crowd size only benefits the act and the promoter who sell more tickets and merchandise.

What high value permanent jobs do you see being created, and how many of each kind of job. I still contend that even if the stadium could create say 35 jobs, it will still be better to just each of those individuals $10 million each in cash. They could then slosh that money around town, probably having a better effect on the economy. Point is $10 million per head is a lot to pay for job creation. It far exceeds what these people would even earn during their lifetime.
Good grief dude. Either you're just trying to bait me or you really haven't heard that AC/DC is playing Mosaic Stadium on the 24th of this month which is why I said 40,000 tickets sold in less than an hour and it could have sold 50,000 or more. I've got 4 tickets on the floor up close so I'll be coming to Regina to participate in some of the phony economic activity that these things create. Sorry for the sarcasm, it was to tempting.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 7:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skphc08 View Post
The apparent fundamental misunderstanding between factions is that this is an ENTHUSIAST'S forum. That is why speculation on the "good" end of things is useful/desirable/acceptable and continual, repetitive negative speculation is not really welcome.

This is definitely the place for dreams/wish lists etc and if you are continually negative with a similar message every single time you just appear to be raining on a parade/being contrary for the sake of being contrary and so forth.

Which is a constraint on brainstorming and creativity and that is exactly why this particular thread was started separate from the main Regina Construction thread. To foster those elements and discussion about the POSSIBILITIES first and worry about limitations second.

Can we please get this thread back on track?
Ha! Since when was the definition of enthusiast changed to mean "anyone that agrees with skphc08"? Or that there should only be one permissible opinion on a public bulletin board? You're free to come and go, but not dictate opinion.

If you think about, you'll realize I'm quite enthusiastic about the prospects for this city and I want to see many great things blossom into fruition. Of course that won't happen if we flush all that opportunity into one dubious project. So in fact you should be supporting my side since it's the one that is more likely to succeed and thrive.

Of course it's still your right to chase the unaffordable stadium option, but then you'd be severely restricting the chance of so many other wonderful things from taking place that could have if we didn't have the concrete donut anchor dominating everything and taking us down in its financial sinkhole.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 7:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Good grief dude. Either you're just trying to bait me or you really haven't heard that AC/DC is playing Mosaic Stadium on the 24th of this month which is why I said 40,000 tickets sold in less than an hour and it could have sold 50,000 or more. I've got 4 tickets on the floor up close so I'll be coming to Regina to participate in some of the phony economic activity that these things create. Sorry for the sarcasm, it was to tempting.
Are you saying economic activity is being created, and 2009's hottest acts are coming to Regina......... WITHOUT A DOME??? Maybe just maybe, it is possible to survive - or even thrive - without the dome.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 7:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Adios everyone, this thread used to be fun until Calvert showed up so I'm out of here. Its no use discussing this with someone who's arguments are the equivalent of putting new seats and a coat of paint on Maple Leaf Gardens instead of building a brand new Air Canada Centre.

Your Calvert comment is a bankhanded insult towards me. I get it, it's how you debate things, with personal insults. As it happens, you couldn't be more wrong but oh well.

Anyway, come on back when we start getting private companies paying hundreds of millions for corporate boxes.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post

You make your own choice on what you do, so goodbye. I've listened to your stories on this board for some time (either real or not) and bit my tongue many times wondering where your getting your stuff. Life will be difficult if you can't except or ignore other people that get under you skin.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebubu View Post
You make your own choice on what you do, so goodbye. I've listened to your stories on this board for some time (either real or not) and bit my tongue many times wondering where your getting your stuff. Life will be difficult if you can't except or ignore other people that get under you skin.
Good post

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 6:08 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie Teck View Post
Ha! Since when was the definition of enthusiast changed to mean "anyone that agrees with skphc08"? Or that there should only be one permissible opinion on a public bulletin board? You're free to come and go, but not dictate opinion.

If you think about, you'll realize I'm quite enthusiastic about the prospects for this city and I want to see many great things blossom into fruition. Of course that won't happen if we flush all that opportunity into one dubious project. So in fact you should be supporting my side since it's the one that is more likely to succeed and thrive.

Of course it's still your right to chase the unaffordable stadium option, but then you'd be severely restricting the chance of so many other wonderful things from taking place that could have if we didn't have the concrete donut anchor dominating everything and taking us down in its financial sinkhole.
you should be supporting my side

Last edited by timewilltell; Sep 28, 2009 at 11:28 PM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 6:22 PM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewilltell View Post
you should be supporting my side that sounds like a threat this was thread was created for not against the monitor should step in , migs has always been very pro regina that is his choice threats are not what this thread is about
How old are you?

Moderators will not silence members who express opposing views.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan