HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub1170 View Post
Things are much more peaceful around here when Quimby is on holidays.
Except when he signs in under his other alias.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 5:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
Actually for those that I know that went, I heard multiple instances of sarcastic "yeah, we don't need a new stadium" as we were pushed, shoved, bumped and spent 1.5 hours in the concourse area making our way to our seats. And that was on the WEST side...which is infinitely better than the east side.
I can't imagine what kind of impairment caused you to spend 1.5 hours going around in circles unable to find your seat. It took around 3 minutes for us on the East side. Bathroom trips were 1 and 4 minutes respectively, with minimal waiting. The concession lines speak more to the greed and incompetence of the concessionaires. But that's a problem I could fix for about 349 million less that what you think is required.

But a new concrete domed stadium isn't going to magically give you the ability to navigate if you don't possess it already. For all we know the donut shape will have you spending 10.5 hours traversing the oval, desperately trying to find the corner.

Quote:
Once we got to our seats, yes, it was a great view, nice summer night, and a great concert.
So did that make you even more eager to demolish Taylor Field and get started on the quonset?

Quote:
And you're right....nobody came from out of town for this. It was 100% locals and nobody stayed at any hotels or ate at any restaurants. Not my dad and his wife from out of town, not my sister and her friend from out of town, not the crew behind and crew beside us that were from out of town, and certainly not the people that asked us downtown if we were from Regina, and how do they get to the Ramada. They were all poser locals. And none of the money that they didn't actually spend at the hotels and restaurants that they didn't actually stay and eat at, nor the gas stations that they didn't buy gas at actually benefited the local economy. In fact, it likely hurt us in some way as I'm sure you are soon to point out. But what am I talking about...those out of towners weren't even there so why worry about them.
Sigh. As predicted, people with no ability to understand numbers or finances citing anecdotal one offs as if they are economic juggernaughts.

All you need is 3,796 more anecdotal stories, and you'll be up to a whopping 10% of attendees coming in from out of town. According to you, there were at least 20 visitors per local, a claim that's laughable on its face.

But did you notice you are now arguing against yourself? You are one who claims we require a new half billion stadium to generate positive economic activity from visitors. Yet you are now strenuously arguing that we are (supposedly) doing so just fine with the stadium we already have. You're digging in on two completely opposite and contradictory positions.

Let's do the math. A half billion dollars minus what you and your inlaws can contribute leaves us short by.... a half billion dollars.

Or we can spend carefully and intelligently, taking the current adequate facility in its enviable setting and making improvements in those specific aspects where it needs improving. Would you level your your house with a wrecking ball and salt the land around it when all it really needs (and all you can actually afford) is to change the kitchen faucet?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 6:18 PM

You missed the part where I said there was no reason to respond unless you wanted to hear yourself type. Or maybe you didn't.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 7:31 PM

Who is this Archie Teck guy anyways?
God I would hate to have to be in his presence daily as a co-worker or a spouse. What kind of bland, hopeless life this guy must lead. No ability to dream.

Imagine his poor kids. "Dad I want to be the Prime Minister"...answer..."Well son...Here is a list of reasons this is not probable...The odds of you becoming PM are so miniscule...why would you even think that you could be PM? What a STUPID idea you had son!"

Sad, sad existence. I actually feel a little sorry for him. Poor guy.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 7:47 PM

Well said

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie Teck View Post
It took around 3 minutes for us on the East side. Bathroom trips were 1 and 4 minutes respectively, with minimal waiting. The concession lines speak more to the greed and incompetence of the concessionaires. But that's a problem I could fix for about 349 million less that what you think is required.
What time did you get there? Noon?? The line ups were insane by 7 and impossible to get a drink too. I don't really believe you were there anyways.I don't think a guy like you would go to a show like that. Too much of your hard earned money spent on something that wouldn't be of some economic benifit. How are you going to see any return on the cash you coughed up for the ticket? I would rather have people with ideas like yours stay home during events like this. That way there is no risk of your type bringing me down while I am trying to enjoy myself. Thanks in advance.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 10:51 PM

Sheesh. Maybe if you guys left the personal barbs out of the discussion maybe you could have a civil debate.

I can't see how taking constant potshots is helpful in any manner. Maybe just let the facts dictate how the debate evolves.

Carry on.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post
Sheesh. Maybe if you guys left the personal barbs out of the discussion maybe you could have a civil debate.

I can't see how taking constant potshots is helpful in any manner. Maybe just let the facts dictate how the debate evolves.

Carry on.
If he actually had any facts to back up his drivel, it would be another story. But he deliberately shows up here after every ounce of news and does his best to crap all over it with nothing but a bunch of nonsense. He calls everyone a liar who dares talk about the benefits of any development with not even an ounce of knowledge about what they speak of.

Enough is enough.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 3:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
If he actually had any facts to back up his drivel, it would be another story. But he deliberately shows up here after every ounce of news and does his best to crap all over it with nothing but a bunch of nonsense. He calls everyone a liar who dares talk about the benefits of any development with not even an ounce of knowledge about what they speak of.

Enough is enough.
Well said. And Quimby is now leaving hate filled comments on my blog. Too funny....

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post

Carry on.
Here are a few facts to evolve on.

- If it had been 8 degrees and pouring rain for the AC/DC show...closing up the roof would have been a good idea...if there was one to close.

- The last home game against Hamilton would not have lost a quarter of the crowd after halftime because of the weather if we could have just closed the roof

- You cannot use the comparison to BC Place and to Montreal's Big "O" as an economic model for here. The cities are 5 or more times larger than our city/surrounding area. They draw the same number of spectators to shows as we do in our small center. There is no reason Vancouver shouldn't sell out BC Place for every Lion's game. We get 30 000 people here ... in our tiny market...and they can't get 60 000 in theirs. Its not the same there obvoiusly. So why use Vancouver/BC Place as an argument for OR against OUR new facility.

AC/DC, for example, totally consumed Regina. Fans, businesses and media ALL hyped this show up just as the Riders consume the city. Think that happens in Montreal? Vancouver? No. I was in Vancouver for the AC/DC show in November last year. Unless you knew the show was going on that week, you had to hunt for news to find out about it. The next day the reviews were on page 3 in a small column. OUR newspaper does a two page false cover. We did it right.

Think that you can go into any pub in Vancouver and strike up a conversation with someone about the Lions and have people respond like they do here for the Riders? Think that there is Lion gear all over bars in Victoria and Kamloops like Rider gear in Moose Jaw and Saskatoon...or Anywhere, Sask.? No. We do things different here.

We all (mostly) are proud of what we have here and support the events and sports teams we have. There are no REAL arguments that can be made about why this new multi-purpose facility CANNOT be supported in our province or economy because there are NO other communities and provinces like our own. We are unique and will do anything we put our heart and mind into. We will make it happen.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Well said. And Quimby is now leaving hate filled comments on my blog. Too funny....
Pure coincidence I am sure.

What a winner.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 5:51 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
migs your blog is wonderful:

Last edited by timewilltell; Mar 21, 2010 at 9:34 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 9:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadyeyez View Post
Who is this Archie Teck guy anyways?
God I would hate to have to be in his presence daily as a co-worker or a spouse. What kind of bland, hopeless life this guy must lead. No ability to dream.

Imagine his poor kids. "Dad I want to be the Prime Minister"...answer..."Well son...Here is a list of reasons this is not probable...The odds of you becoming PM are so miniscule...why would you even think that you could be PM? What a STUPID idea you had son!"

Sad, sad existence. I actually feel a little sorry for him. Poor guy.
Actually I've built some things people here have said they very much like. That's actually what brought me to your site. So it's amusing to see some of the more outspoken characters who I believe appreciate my work yet bash my views.

I have been called (among other things) a visionary, but frankly I think anyone can be a visionary. Just not everyone has the inclination to do something with their vision. And more importantly, not everyone has the good fortune and opportunities I've been blessed to receive. I'm so thankful I've been able to turn my dreams and the dreams of others into something real and lasting.

Now I don't know what you do or don't do, though I have no doubt it serves a valuable purpose. But are you involved in building anything?

That's not meant as a cutdown, it's just an assumption based on your comments. The truth is that anyone can dream. I do, you do. The difference comes in being able to make a dream into something real. It's that ability to know which dreams can stretch you to create a new version of what is possible and which ones are just a fool's folly.

This is an ability we all possess to some degree. It's the reason why if someone were to suggest we could build a dome to cover the whole province, you'd react with skepticism. That's not a flaw or anything to be ashamed of, it's your ability to reason that is kicking in.

I was like you once. Well not like you exactly, but I was getting frustrated with the faculty who seemed to be asking me to limit my thinking on the built environment at every turn. Then one taught me a lesson that's stuck to this day. He asked if I would be satisfied as a dreamer who never accomplished a single important thing in life because my dreams would always outbid my ability. I realized then I'd rather actually do something.

The lesson was apt because as life turned out, I'm a lot happier being selective and then taking the realistic dreams and making them real. Or taking the essence of a brilliant but impossible dream and finding ways to turn the spirit of that dream into something real. My work might survive decades instead of centuries, but at least I've created something.

Now you talk about setting an example for one's children. Would you be proud to show your children your unprovoked and hateful comments towards me? What lesson are you trying to teach? What dream are you trying to realize with your comments?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 9:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
You missed the part where I said there was no reason to respond unless you wanted to hear yourself type. Or maybe you didn't.
I copied your post before you erased it. You didn't say anything of the sort. Maybe you are misremembering?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 9:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
What time did you get there? Noon?? The line ups were insane by 7 and impossible to get a drink too. I don't really believe you were there anyways.I don't think a guy like you would go to a show like that. Too much of your hard earned money spent on something that wouldn't be of some economic benifit. How are you going to see any return on the cash you coughed up for the ticket? I would rather have people with ideas like yours stay home during events like this. That way there is no risk of your type bringing me down while I am trying to enjoy myself. Thanks in advance.
After already smearing me for no reason yesterday, your latest post insinuates I'm a liar. In my experience, insinuators are usually the ones that can't be trusted. Of course we were there, don't be silly. I believe you probably were too. Did you see the snowbirds go S-N, then fly 2 CCW rings over the stadium then do a N-S pass? We did. Course I could just be making a lucky guess on that, right?

A little bit after 7. The drink lines were long, but only because of the silly way they had the token line intersecting with the beer line and the cocktails line. And when I say long, I mean no more than 3 minutes.

One of the factors of human design is that people tend to grossly misperceive time when they are waiting with impatience and with no ability to know or expect what their duration will be. If you were to query subjects after a 30 second wait for the lift they will say it took over 3 minutes for the doors to open. I don't know what the situation was on the west side so maybe I shouldn't have assumed. But on the east side it was busy but the lines moved swiftly. Everyone had enjoyable sight lines. The much talked about seat construction was irrelevant as everyone simply stood up as they do at all concerts. And as already stated, there were minimal wait times for the washrooms as well.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 10:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Here are a few facts to evolve on.

- If it had been 8 degrees and pouring rain for the AC/DC show...closing up the roof would have been a good idea...if there was one to close.
Since we're talking what if's here, IF we added the cost of the stadium to ticket prices, and IF we assumed 90 consecutive AC/DC sellout concerts over the next 30 years, we'd still have to add at least a $100 per seat upcharge fee. Good luck selling tickets when your stadium improvement fee exceeds your base ticket price.

Quote:
- The last home game against Hamilton would not have lost a quarter of the crowd after halftime because of the weather if we could have just closed the roof
You'd prefer BC Place, where the half empty building retains its fans right through?

I don't accept your estimate on the number or timing. However those fans could learn from Hamilton, whose fans have stuck it out in a lot worse weather than that.

Quote:
- You cannot use the comparison to BC Place and to Montreal's Big "O" as an economic model for here. The cities are 5 or more times larger than our city/surrounding area. They draw the same number of spectators to shows as we do in our small center. There is no reason Vancouver shouldn't sell out BC Place for every Lion's game. We get 30 000 people here ... in our tiny market...and they can't get 60 000 in theirs. Its not the same there obvoiusly. So why use Vancouver/BC Place as an argument for OR against OUR new facility.

AC/DC, for example, totally consumed Regina. Fans, businesses and media ALL hyped this show up just as the Riders consume the city.
There is a point to what you are saying. This was considered a big deal for Regina. If you are to be believed though, concerts like this will be scheduled 4 or 5 times a month when our dome starts luring world famous artists to create tours and come here. It's part of your side's fuzzy economic impact theory. So if it actually occurs that giant concerts spring up to fill your dome on a constant year round basis, don't you think some of the novelty will wear off? Won't it be hard to sell out AC/DC 10 months in a row? Aerosmith could barely move tickets due to the much more appealing AC/DC offering being in direct competition. There's some real world proof of what this market will abide. It's a market that struggled to sell more than 1 of the 2 biggest rock shows of the year in a province renowned for its love of 'classic' rock.

Quote:
Think that happens in Montreal? Vancouver? No. I was in Vancouver for the AC/DC show in November last year. Unless you knew the show was going on that week, you had to hunt for news to find out about it. The next day the reviews were on page 3 in a small column. OUR newspaper does a two page false cover. We did it right.
Hilariously mischosen locations as I've lived in both and still frequent Vancouver. Your view is not really that accurate, though I could see how a tourist might see it that way.

Quote:
Think that you can go into any pub in Vancouver and strike up a conversation with someone about the Lions and have people respond like they do here for the Riders?
Um yes, yes you can. People there tend to be less deranged about it, but absolutely they have pride. And you can also ask them about the canucks, something you can't really do here. While you have your dream machine in top gear, maybe you should thow in some demands for Fiacco to buy us a couple of NHL teams, an MLB franchise and multiple NFL teams. That should better prepare us for the 2014 winter olympics to be held in Moose Jaw with the man-made rocky mountain range that we'll toss together. See, who said I can't dream big.

Quote:
Think that there is Lion gear all over bars in Victoria and Kamloops like Rider gear in Moose Jaw and Saskatoon...or Anywhere, Sask.? No. We do things different here.
Well there's plenty of Lions support in Kelowna, Revelstoke, Whistler, Prince Rupert and Salt Spring Island. So what's your point?

Quote:
We all (mostly) are proud of what we have here and support the events and sports teams we have. There are no REAL arguments that can be made about why this new multi-purpose facility CANNOT be supported in our province or economy because there are NO other communities and provinces like our own. We are unique and will do anything we put our heart and mind into. We will make it happen.
The real stumbling block is affordability. This is a sports team that can afford neither a scoreboard, nor turf, nor even their stadium rental fee. Read the roughriders financials some time, or at least get the high points from someone. The club does not have 400 million nor do they have the ability to generate it within our lifetime. The city operates on a largely fixed budget, so they don't have the 400 million either. The province thought they would have windfall money but - surprise - they don't, and are headed for potentially the largest deficits in provincial history. Mosaic had $3.7 million but they spent it already buying out Taylor's name. Do you believe the federal government will pay for this with more of your tax dollars when they already get all their seats here automatically? So just where is your source for the $400 million in capital and the millions in annual upkeep?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 2:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Since we're talking what if's here, IF we added the cost of the stadium to ticket prices, and IF we assumed 90 consecutive AC/DC sellout concerts over the next 30 years, we'd still have to add at least a $100 per seat upcharge fee. Good luck selling tickets when your stadium improvement fee exceeds your base ticket price.
Actually ACDC set the price of the tickets and from what I heard they were the same everywhere they played on this tour.
Quote:
You'd prefer BC Place, where the half empty building retains its fans right through?
You see this is where you lose credibility. Who said anything about building a 60 thousand seat dome like BC Place? When you start making things up to support your argument you might as well quit before you are deeper in the hole.
Quote:
I don't accept your estimate on the number or timing. However those fans could learn from Hamilton, whose fans have stuck it out in a lot worse weather than that.
Have you seen Hamilton's attendance numbers? Sorry but this comment of yours makes zero sense, if one can have climate control with a retractable roof (like its giong to be), its a no brainer.
Quote:
There is a point to what you are saying. This was considered a big deal for Regina. If you are to be believed though, concerts like this will be scheduled 4 or 5 times a month when our dome starts luring world famous artists to create tours and come here.
We don't have a big arena so from what I've heard the dome will be able to be configured to host arena tours that normally bypass Regina because of a lack of facilities. You know like the Eagles, Beyonce, and Keith Urban to name a few.
Quote:
It's part of your side's fuzzy economic impact theory. So if it actually occurs that giant concerts spring up to fill your dome on a constant year round basis, don't you think some of the novelty will wear off? Won't it be hard to sell out AC/DC 10 months in a row? Aerosmith could barely move tickets due to the much more appealing AC/DC offering being in direct competition.There's some real world proof of what this market will abide. It's a market that struggled to sell more than 1 of the 2 biggest rock shows of the year in a province renowned for its love of 'classic' rock.
No offence but that is a load of crap. Regina had the second most tickets sold (20.5K) for the Aerosmith concert on the leg of the tour that was cancelled. Try again.....
Quote:
The real stumbling block is affordability. This is a sports team that can afford neither a scoreboard, nor turf, nor even their stadium rental fee.
Bullcrap once again. Your getting good at this.
Quote:
Read the roughriders financials some time, or at least get the high points from someone. The club does not have 400 million nor do they have the ability to generate it within our lifetime. The city operates on a largely fixed budget, so they don't have the 400 million either. The province thought they would have windfall money but - surprise - they don't, and are headed for potentially the largest deficits in provincial history.
Are you honestly nieve enough to believe commodity prices will stay low for long? Whoops as I say that I just heard on CNN that oil is projected to be above $100 a barrell by years end and is already at $73.
Quote:
Mosaic had $3.7 million but they spent it already buying out Taylor's name. Do you believe the federal government will pay for this with more of your tax dollars when they already get all their seats here automatically? So just where is your source for the $400 million in capital and the millions in annual upkeep?
There are already 3 private companies very interested in the project (credit Chevyldaoff) as well as contributions of the 3 levels of govt throughy various avenues (ie SGC and Casino Regina). But no worries Quimby, your no different that the naysayers and little thinkers from 100 years ago who thought govt investment into Taylor Field would be a huge mistake. I mean there were roads to build back then, what were they thinking building a facility that brought decades of fun and excitment to hundreds of thousands of people. Idiots.

ps....it must've made you feel dirty to go to the ACDC concert in a govt funded stadium. lol

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 2:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Actually I've built some things people here have said they very much like. That's actually what brought me to your site. So it's amusing to see some of the more outspoken characters who I believe appreciate my work yet bash my views.?
Let's hear about some of your creations.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 2:55 PM

[QUOTE=Archie Teck;4426950[B]]Now you talk about setting an example for one's children. Would you be proud to show your children your unprovoked and hateful comments towards me? What lesson are you trying to teach? What dream are you trying to realize with your comments?[QUOTE]

That was hardly HATE. Its my opinion. As for lessons I would like to teach my kids, well some people can't really tell how they are coming off unless it is explained to them. Some people have softer skin and can't take it as well. Some don't like to be put in front of a mirror.

You have obviously done more than me(everyone), lived more places than me(everyone), have knowledge in more areas than me(everyone), so I am just going to stop now. I'm done.

I only started reading this forum to see what others wanted in a new stadium. I didn't expect there would be "fun-vacuums" that actually wouldn't want something like this to go ahead. Or at least wait for the feasibility study to be done before being so critical. But apparently even the study isn't being done right. From what I gather, the cost of the feasibility study should have been put into the stadium to patch it up for the next few years and just left at that.

Apparently if this thing would be built, taxes in this province would skyrocket to the point that no person could afford to eat or sleep indoors. Ticket prices/facility fees would be unaffordable to the average person.

No one would be able to afford the tax hikes. $350 for every man woman and child in this province would be the downfall of this province. No one makes that kind of money. It's insane to even consider this thing. What were we even thinking? This is SASKATCHEWAN. We are small and insignifigant and can't even afford to dream.

I'm glad we have some people left in this province that love to smash dreams. I am glad these people are still here to make sure that any ideas that may put us on the map are squashed. I am glad that these people that like living in the past and wont let go are around to make sure this province stays dormant and stale. I am also estatic that I helped vote them out last provincial election.

Last edited by Beadyeyez; Aug 27, 2009 at 3:34 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 3:45 PM

Quote:
I copied your post before you erased it. You didn't say anything of the sort. Maybe you are misremembering?
I definitely did. But you must have copied before I added that on.

Regardless, I removed my post because it wasn't needed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan