HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 12:21 PM
New Yorker for life

This could very well be one of the best new skyscrapers in Manhattan in a decade...

Hole in the lens

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 12:16 AM

i've gotta disagree with you on that nyguy. it's definitely one of the most obvious new skyscrapers but surely not one of the best :p

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 12:46 AM
JoeCooper

I completely agree NYGUY! It's in a perfect position and looks like it's making a statement to and competing with the WFC complex, yet at the same time complementing it! It's definely is and will be one of many notable skyscrapers in the NY skyline!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 3:12 AM

I hope everyone's cool with some photos of this building that aren't from Jersey... Oh yes, and I think it's a very nice building that isn't going to age incredibly well. In 20-30 years it's going to look oddly dated, not unlike many of the other glass and steel panel buildings in the area that were very shiny when put up and much less sleek later. I don't think that's anything to hold against GS, though, it's just how it will probably be. It's still a nice building.

Bonus pic of the Battery Park tower going up behind this. There's actually a foundation built for a second tower between this and GS, but they're building this one first, then the other one. These are the last 2 unfinished sites in the BPC master plan.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 12:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
I completely agree NYGUY! It's in a perfect position and looks like it's making a statement to and competing with the WFC complex, yet at the same time complementing it! It's definely is and will be one of many notable skyscrapers in the NY skyline!
It's perfect for it's location, and doesn't try to be more than it is. Yet, depending on what angle you view it, the Goldman can be a humongous beast, or just filler on the skyline. Either way, there are very few duplicates in Manhattan. In fact, the only one I can think of is the "baby" Goldman recently completed at the other end of BPC.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 2:51 PM

Indeed, there's something incredible about this building. It is amazingly contextual, and at night it seems like a 5th tower of the WFC and shines like a jewel.

However, the facade seems very inhumane (I think that would be the right word here). It seems without depth, like a texture applied to a Google Sketchup model. But I'll forgive that any day for its gorgeous nighttime appearance.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 4:29 PM
don't *meddle*...

yeah, me too, i like GS at night and especially in the pre - night / sunset period. and it looks indeed massive! thx for the updates (@RoldanTTLB & NYguy)!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It's perfect for it's location, and doesn't try to be more than it is. Yet, depending on what angle you view it, the Goldman can be a humongous beast, or just filler on the skyline. Either way, there are very few duplicates in Manhattan. In fact, the only one I can think of is the "baby" Goldman recently completed at the other end of BPC.
I agree with this as well. My comment about dated had to do with the facade treatment and not the shape of the building. I must say that shape-wise, GS is incredibly unique. Having taken photos from all around, it does not much appear to have a front and a back the way Woolworth, or Gehry do. It's also not just a square tower like One Chase Manhattan Plaza.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 3:31 PM

Going...going....GONE!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 4:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 2:23 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 3:30 PM
World Machine

Sharp looking tower from all directions. As said before (and after the WTC), this will probably be the last large office building to be built in Lower Manhattan for a long time. In many ways for the area that it's in, it's the last of its kind.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 12:32 PM

Goldman Sachs from Sunday Top of the Rock
Video Link

www.shawnpwhelan.com

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwelan View Post
Goldman Sachs from Sunday Top of the Rock
Video Link

www.shawnpwhelan.com
Protip: Next time you advertise your own video, use a Youtube account with a different name than you SSP one.

Also that's obviously a blimp.

And stop posting this in every thread!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 6:26 PM

I'm sorry, I wasn't advertising.
I just thought it was a good view of the different buildings.
and the UFO title is a joke, I know it is a blimp. It is very obvious it is a blimp, most ufos are obviously not alien space craft. People are stupid.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2009, 3:06 PM
Frigidus Maximus

This one turned out so much nicer than the renderings would have suggested. It looks VERY 21st Century.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 1:41 AM

Looks nearly finished (tough to see in this photo, but the scaffolding is down around the bottom of the building). Also, while I like this building, it still reminds me very strongly of 200 Water, and I cannot see it aging well, although they'll almost assuredly take better care of this building than that one.

No? (from http://www.200waterst.com)

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 1:52 AM
Frigidus Maximus

[/QUOTE]

I'm impressed by how the Goldman Sachs compliments the WFC so well - it holds it's own, yet doesn't overpower them. I also love the view of the BofA off in the distance - a truly great addition to Manhattan.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 2:33 AM

Tough to tell from New Jersey, but this building is actually built on the ground, and not on the backs of BPC mid-rises... Oh also, the lobby is looking incredible, but I had a tough time getting photos of it through the dirty glass.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 10:56 PM
Astorian

Bonus WTC 7

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive