HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Where do you live?
Downtown Winnipeg 21 42.86%
Suburbs (Inside perimeter) 24 48.98%
Outside the perimeter 4 8.16%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 5:28 PM

Not stupid. I feel we are real lucky in Winnipeg in terms of access. It really does not take much time to get from point A to point B here.

We do need to stop sprawl dead in its' tracks though and grow density... We have time to do it right if we start today.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 5:57 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Nothing like glorifying a pink tiled mall, which was suppose to revive downtown when it was built, but is really unapealling for many reasons. How Starbucks was talked into that location blows my mind .. I stopped by there for a cup of coffee once, and was asked for change more than once while enjoying the uninspiring atmosphere of defeated and lost people.
Doing something about the defeated and lost people, of course, never coming up on your agenda, and the fact that people ask for change in the downtown of every city is also totally lost on you. I'm sorry the world has yet to align itself to your vision of perfection. Poverty kind of isn't something that goes away by itself.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 7:09 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

calgary does not have that problem though vid the bums just heras u to get the fuck outa their teritory or thats the experiance i have had wen there

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 7:54 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
calgary does not have that problem though vid the bums just heras u to get the fuck outa their teritory or thats the experiance i have had wen there
What did you say?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 8:04 PM

Nah, every city has their pan-handlers. Some worse than others but they are there. We really do have to become more worldly. Some seem to think that other cities are "better" after spending a few days visiting their tourist spots.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 9:00 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
What did you say?
not a thing i was just walking down the st

Old Posted Aug 29, 2009, 3:43 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Doing something about the defeated and lost people, of course, never coming up on your agenda, and the fact that people ask for change in the downtown of every city is also totally lost on you. I'm sorry the world has yet to align itself to your vision of perfection. Poverty kind of isn't something that goes away by itself.
While your point is all well and good, it still doesn't make Portage Place any better to shop in or enjoy a coffee. Its not a complant against Winnipeg, it does exist in every city. I don't have a problem with the world either, but I tend to be a little selective, especially when I want to relax with a good cup of joe in Winnipeg, Calgary, Toronto, NYC, Chicago, New Orleans, ... or anywhere else.

My point was that the mall failed in reviving downtown as it was touted to do during its development and when it becomes a heritage building at some point I will be rolling my eyes as to its worthiness. With that said someone 50 years from now someone will say it needs to be protected because its old.

Last edited by newflyer; Aug 29, 2009 at 4:02 AM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2009, 1:46 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
not a thing i was just walking down the st
I think you misunderstood me.

I have no idea what you wrote. It doesn't make any sense.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2009, 1:25 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
My point was that the mall failed in reviving downtown as it was touted to do during its development and when it becomes a heritage building at some point I will be rolling my eyes as to its worthiness. With that said someone 50 years from now someone will say it needs to be protected because its old.
I highly doubt it is going to become a "heritage building". We don't make buildings heritage buildings just because of their age.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 3:18 AM
YaY~InForMatTion TimE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcity View Post
I'm going to sound really stupid here (as usual) but I've never really understood the whole concept of suburbs in Winnipeg, to me the suburbs in Winnipeg would be places like Headingly, East & West St.paul and others. It just doesn't seem like living in Garden City feels likes a suburb especially when I can get downtown in like 10 minutes.

Maybe I'm just so used to going down to the States where everywhere you go you have to take the freeway to get to a certain Suburban area.
Yes I agree with many businesses's lining major arterial routes, it still feels urban in the suburbs for me too.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 4:09 AM

Pretty darned suburban out here in Westdale. I need to move closer in. 2 more years until my kids are done school and then we'll move. Maybe closer in will be closer in to the downtown of another city though.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2009, 8:54 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I highly doubt it is going to become a "heritage building". We don't make buildings heritage buildings just because of their age.
There are many buildings which have less viable reasons to have heritage staus beyond there age. A building like Portage Place is a building of significant stature on Portage Ave ... I would surely expect some wise person in the future to demand it get protected.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 2:27 AM
I am a typical

"Significant stature"? Buildings are considered for heritage protection if they're historically significant, if their architecture is considered very high quality or unique to the region, if they're exceptionally old, or otherwise an asset to the community. There are hundreds of buildings in Downtown Winnipeg that will be considered heritage worthy before Portage Place.

Even if someone demands it be protected that doesn't mean it will happen. Heritage status can greatly reduce a buildings future re-use potential as it makes renovations difficult, and many building owners oppose heritage status because it hurts resale value somehow. I can see both of these being issues if Portage Place was nominated for heritage status.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 5:52 AM

I'm 30 min to the perimeter. Last week in the Twin Cities I drove around 494/694 beltway and places like Maple Grove and Minnetonka, Eden Prairie , Woodbury these are burbs compared to the Neighborhoods being discussed here. I would say Stonewall,E & W St Paul, Birds Hill,Oakbank,Lorette,St Adolphe and Niverville are Winnipeg's burbs
just my .02 cents

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 1:19 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ it is funny because i have family in Minneapolis and am there quite often - i have measured the Perimeter and found that it is nearly the same length as the 494/694 loop in Minneapolis. The difference is that Minneapolis/St Paul completely fills out the loop and expands well beyond making the difference between a metro of 3.5 million and 750,000 very evident.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 7:22 PM

^^^ I wonder how the ring roads around Calgary and Edmonton would compare in distance.
I think Winnipeg has some great neighborhoods-Wolsley(spelling?),Woodhaven,North End (yes i went and said it),Osbourne area,Corydon area,and many more. I think Winnipeg should be proud of these and should use them to promote this great city.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 11:27 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

north end has its gems its the area south of redwood to the tracks were its pritty bad they are realy trying at the local level in this city to curve the issues but its hard work and take time and the police have realy come to the table trying to help keep the peac its nice change just a shame about slum loard who dont care that we still have in this city

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 4:01 AM

Love the North End, it's places like NE that give a city it's character,it's backbone-everything can't be cul-de-sacs and stucco.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 4:12 AM

North end is also where most of the thinning of the herd is happening. Not an area I'd choose to raise children in.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 4:18 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post
North end is also where most of the thinning of the herd is happening. Not an area I'd choose to raise children in.
Some people don't have the luxury of choice.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan