HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 2:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Sandbar Restaurant on the Pointe-du-Chene Wharf has been completely rebuilt (since Hurricane Fiona) and is now open for the season.

The foundation has been elevated to 5.2 metres above normal high tide, and the new building has been structurally engineered to withstand 250 km/hr winds.

T&T photo

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 12:41 PM

Breaux Bridge Estates is starting foundation work on the second apartment building. They should be putting up a tower crane again soon.

There is a new apartment building being built Greenwood on the property of the golf course. They have a mini crane up on this site.

With the work being done on the new seniors complex and these 2 new apartments along with the booming single family and row houses, there is a lot of activity in Shediac this summer.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 10:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here is a render of phase two of Breaux-Bridge:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1690...ghts&ref=notif

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 2:30 PM

Proposed 60 units 6 storey behind Club Boishebert downtown

https://plan360.ca/media-planning/me...rt-23-0910.pdf

Request for rezoning to R3 at end of Laforest/Monique st near highway 15 to allow 4 buildings two 130 and two 170 units with total of 600 units 6 storey. Lots of variance and study required including major infrastructure upgrade intention to break ground in 5 years.

https://plan360.ca/media-planning/me...rt-22-2015.pdf

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 7:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caidehs View Post
Proposed 60 units 6 storey behind Club Boishebert downtown

https://plan360.ca/media-planning/me...rt-23-0910.pdf

Locator map

Site plan

Render

This building is ideally situated with relation to the downtown core of Shediac, and will have a positive influence in the overall density of the area. The only issue I can see is that access is off of Bois-Hebert Street, and this might cause some issues with residents in the neighbourhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caidehs View Post
Request for rezoning to R3 at end of Laforest/Monique st near highway 15 to allow 4 buildings two 130 and two 170 units with total of 600 units 6 storey. Lots of variance and study required including major infrastructure upgrade intention to break ground in 5 years.

https://plan360.ca/media-planning/me...rt-22-2015.pdf

Locator map

Site plan

No render as of yet. As you noted, major infrastructure is needed for this project to get going, and construction is still years away. At 600 units, this project will be massive. It reminds me a lot of Breaux-Bridge Estates (multiple building project backing on Highway 15 and eminently visible from the highway). Interesting the site plan includes an inground pool as well as tennis and pickleball courts, and direct access to the walking trail paralleling the highway.

The massive growth of Shediac continues. Shediac will soon be a city.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Thanks.

Locator map

Site plan

Render

This building is ideally situated with relation to the downtown core of Shediac, and will have a positive influence in the overall density of the area. The only issue I can see is that access is off of Bois-Hebert Street, and this might cause some issues with residents in the neighbourhood.

Locator map

Site plan

No render as of yet. As you noted, major infrastructure is needed for this project to get going, and construction is still years away. At 600 units, this project will be massive. It reminds me a lot of Breaux-Bridge Estates (multiple building project backing on Highway 15 and eminently visible from the highway). Interesting the site plan includes an inground pool as well as tennis and pickleball courts, and direct access to the walking trail paralleling the highway.

The massive growth of Shediac continues. Shediac will soon be a city.
I feel like 5 years a long time away to propose they break ground.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 7:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Rare stretch of Shediac natural coastline now protected against development
Three parcels donated to Ducks Unlimited for conservation
Alexandre Silberman · CBC News · Posted: Jul 12, 2023 6:00 AM ADT | Last Updated: 4 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ment-1.6903764

Quote:
In the beach community of Pointe-du-Chêne, one of the last remaining sections of natural coastline in the area is now secured for wildlife conservation.

The salt marsh habitat, near popular Parlee Beach in southeastern New Brunswick, is part of about 10 hectares of land donated by the Anglican Parish of Shediac to Ducks Unlimited Canada.

Jana Cheverie, head of conservation programs for the organization, said the area includes a pristine salt marsh and forested land used by species at risk.

We may be a development related forum, but we acknowledge the need to protect vulnerable shoreline areas, especially in this era of climate change and sea level rise.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 8:26 PM

The Boishebert apartment is a great use of that lot. It was previously part of the Club land and then subdivided. The club gets some cash and more housing is added to the town.

I can imagine there are several such opportunities in the town and across GMA. These would generally be close to amenities and be easier to service.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 3:50 PM

Building permits in Shediac have already reached $76.5M for the first half of 2023, already surpassing the total permit values for 2022 at $69.5M which was up from $50M the year before. The growth has been accelerating with no sign of it slowing down considering the recent 600-unit proposal. I think the town should consider city status in the coming decade but I wonder if there would be pushback from some residents.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...ruction-record

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 5:47 PM

I don't believe Shediac or Riverview will become cities any time soon. They seem happy with their current structure. Shediac in particular just doubled in size so they have enough to chew on.

We should have taken the opportunity provided by municipal reform to reduce our types of municipality to City-Town-Rural Municipality. Axe the villages and the sole 'regional municipality' of T-S. Should have had the whole province incorporated too. The random leftover rural chunks, especially south of the Miramichi River, would be better served amalgamated with neighbours.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 6:02 PM

Shediac only has around 7500-8000 people, I would think it's in the best interest to stay away from city status unless they at least double in population. The bigger it gets the more it will be even more of a suburb/feeder community of Moncton, so hopefully they can focus on transit improvements between the two first, because the traffic is horrific for such a community of that population scale. with the new regional services commission structure enacted by municipal reforms, I think the need for places like Shellac, Riverview, Quispamsis, etc. to seek city status is lessened.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 6:13 PM

I'm more interested in when it gets absorbed into the Moncton CMA. That'll be a nice addition.

(Mortal Engines, if you're not sure what that is)

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 6:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

A sadly unappreciated and badly maligned movie IMHO.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

A sadly unappreciated and badly maligned movie IMHO.
I loved it. I'm a big steampunk fan, though.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 1:49 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Indeed.

And, it doesn't matter whether Shediac is a city or a town, it will still eventually get absorbed into the Moncton CMA anyway.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 12:56 PM

I've always wondered why the municipalities don't have a shuttle bus connecting Downtown Moncton --> Champlain Mall --> Downtown Shediac --> Pointe-du-Chêne Wharf/Parlee Beach. At least in the summertime. With the amount of tourists we're getting lately it seems like a no-brainer. I'm sure a ton of locals would use a service like this as well.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 1:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSquared View Post
I've always wondered why the municipalities don't have a shuttle bus connecting Downtown Moncton --> Champlain Mall --> Downtown Shediac --> Pointe-du-Chêne Wharf/Parlee Beach. At least in the summertime. With the amount of tourists we're getting lately it seems like a no-brainer. I'm sure a ton of locals would use a service like this as well.
They should really look at commuter bus services (probably from the CF Champlain terminal) to both Shediac and Sackville. The Shediac service would be popular with regular commuters and also the beach going public. The Sackville service would be important for metro students commuting to Mount A. It would make the university more accessible, and could boost enrolment.

As the region grows, I think the need for regional commuter bus service will only continue to grow.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSquared View Post
There was an attempt several years ago to have a bus that ran from Champlain to Shediac, they used to have a bus stop right in front of the CO-OP, and on to Parlee Beach. It only ran one summer then stopped. I agree with you, you would think there would enough traffic to start adding commuter bussing in SE NB but New Brunswickers love our cars and can't seem to see the value of getting on a bus instead. It is a shame really.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
There was an attempt several years ago to have a bus that ran from Champlain to Shediac, they used to have a bus stop right in front of the CO-OP, and on to Parlee Beach. It only ran one summer then stopped. I agree with you, you would think there would enough traffic to start adding commuter bussing in SE NB but New Brunswickers love our cars and can't seem to see the value of getting on a bus instead. It is a shame really.
I agree to an extent - the lifers and the rurals love their cars, but the city itself is such a different place now. I take the bus semi-regularly and there's on average 5 times as many people as there used to be just 3-4 years ago, unless you're going out to NW or Riverview then it's still mostly empty.

A Shediac seasonal bus would absolutely need to start in downtown Moncton near the hotels otherwise it misses a huge part of the target demo (tourists, newcomers, car-free urbanites) imo.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 3:12 PM

With parking being constrained at Parlee and Pointe-du-Chêne and traffic increasing in general, I think a 'Beach Express' highway bus makes a lot of sense. Personally I would love a bus that ran downtown Moncton to Parlee, perhaps stopping at the mall and downtown Shediac on the way.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces