HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 9:48 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
I thought they wanted a new arena by Fiesta?
All I'm hearing since getting Wemby, is that they are pushing for a downtown arena. Perhaps near the Alamodome.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2023, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficialPBreton View Post
Hi there! I'm actually the guy who's coordinating that whole website you'll see me in the videos lol. While I'm not particularly knowledgeable about the operations and capital projects side, I can say with 99% certainty that Dottie was referring to the Adelphi project, yes. It's not Broadmoor.

Spot on. What I've learned from running the engagement for these projects is that it's all about money, money, money. That means not just that CapMetro has it, but going through the right processes to make sure it is spent correctly.

Inside baseball - but those are one in the same, to my understanding. More will be added to the website about all the projects we're mentioning, so I would sign up for the newsletter

I wouldn't link them together, but it's possible the timelines end up matching up with LRT completion, so not a bad assumption that if Crestview gets confirmed for an extension that it'll help move along Red Line projects..
Awesome, thanks for the clarifications! Roughly when do you think we might expect to hear more about Crestview grade separation plans? Is there any public info about identified funding sources (federal grants, regional, state, local)?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2023, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
Awesome, thanks for the clarifications! Roughly when do you think we might expect to hear more about Crestview grade separation plans? Is there any public info about identified funding sources (federal grants, regional, state, local)?
Curious to hear this as well. My guess is that it's timed for when Red Line service has to shut down for 35 work. It's hard to imagine how freight could operate across Lamar if that line is being trenched so ideally you do it when the whole line is going to experience other major operational impacts like the 35 work at Airport and 4th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
All I'm hearing since getting Wemby, is that they are pushing for a downtown arena. Perhaps near the Alamodome.

Bummer. I was hoping The spurs would move to the Fiesta arena and compensate for the move away from 35 with maybe 10 games in Austin.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2023, 4:08 PM

Quote:

Bummer. I was hoping The spurs would move to the Fiesta arena and compensate for the move away from 35 with maybe 10 games in Austin.
Last I heard, something like that was a firm goal for the Spurs.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2023, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Curious to hear this as well. My guess is that it's timed for when Red Line service has to shut down for 35 work. It's hard to imagine how freight could operate across Lamar if that line is being trenched so ideally you do it when the whole line is going to experience other major operational impacts like the 35 work at Airport and 4th.
To my knowledge, freight doesn't run downtown - once it gets to the Austin Y (btwn RTM Jr & Pedernales), it runs *east* towards Springdale. So i35 work wouldn't impact freight - you are correct though that it makes sense to implement the work at Crestview when any service to downtown station is infeasible.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2023, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
No public info - though I don't have any specifics either. I know that we're looking to get grants for whatever projects we can, but that should be obvious to anyone considering we're a publicly funded entity.

I'm working to get more info up about the Crestview project - but it's Friday and you know what that means

Hopefully something will go up next week - but this isn't my main priority atm and the information isn't groundbreaking (aka don't hold your breath, you could probably guess all of it )

Old Posted Aug 4, 2023, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficialPBreton View Post
To my knowledge, freight doesn't run downtown - once it gets to the Austin Y (btwn RTM Jr & Pedernales), it runs *east* towards Springdale. So i35 work wouldn't impact freight - you are correct though that it makes sense to implement the work at Crestview when any service to downtown station is infeasible.
freight crosses 35 at Airport blvd

Last edited by freerover; Aug 4, 2023 at 10:18 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2023, 11:14 PM

Quote:
freight crosses 35 at Airport blvd
Haha, my bad, re-read and noticed my mistake. Sorry!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2023, 1:52 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Last I heard, something like that was a firm goal for the Spurs.
I'd be surprised by 10 games. With this young team and the next big star of the NBA, I think they'll be selling out in SA every night again.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 5:38 PM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Fantastic news, IMO!

NEW: Austin’s I-35 expansion receives federal approval
by: Kelsey Thompson

Posted: Aug 21, 2023 / 10:41 AM CDT

Updated: Aug 21, 2023 / 10:45 AM CDT

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The Texas Department of Transportation is poised to begin construction on its Interstate 35 Capital Expression Central project near downtown Austin, following federal approval of the project announced Monday.

TxDOT received a final environmental impact statement and record of decision, marking completion of environmental clearance as part of the National Environmental Policy Act. With that decision delivered, TxDOT’s I-35 Central project is slated to move into its final design and review phase before construction is anticipated to begin in mid-2024.

https://www.kxan.com/traffic/traffic...eral-approval/

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 5:56 PM

Where the fuck is the hundreds of millions of dollars the city has to use as a down payment for the caps going to come from? Isn't that due like.... now since they have to finalize design?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Where the fuck is the hundreds of millions of dollars the city has to use as a down payment for the caps going to come from? Isn't that due like.... now since they have to finalize design?
First of all, calm down.

Second, hasn’t it been decided the state will build out the highway so that caps can be added by the city when funding is available?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
First of all, calm down.
Don't be rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
Second, hasn’t it been decided the state will build out the highway so that caps can be added by the city when funding is available?
No, it hasn't. IIRC, the cost is higher to build it so it can support caps and the city is responsible with paying a portion up front.

Last edited by freerover; Aug 22, 2023 at 2:14 AM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 9:56 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Looking for some help.

Does anyone have a link to Austin Metro's Orange Line down South Congress showing exactly where it was planned to go? Geographically accurate.

All I can find are the generic transit maps.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Looking for some help.

Does anyone have a link to Austin Metro's Orange Line down South Congress showing exactly where it was planned to go? Geographically accurate.

All I can find are the generic transit maps.
Not sure how far back, but in this forum there were links to to presentations that overlaid where the tracks and stations went with geographic accuracy.

Most likely though, those layouts could be changed considering a portion of the South Congress section relied on determining where the tunnel opened up, plus running initially down to Stassney in the first phase. So could be we'll see those plans updated in the future the closer we get to shovels hitting the pavement.

I'd imagine the same general intersections for stops will stay the same.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 10:30 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I'm curious about the south park and ride.

A civil engineer working for the people wanting to buy our little lot on S. Congress sent a map showing 40' of right of way that Austin Metro would be taking, supposedly. I wanted to see what they're talking about.

I did find this video. Starting around 21:30. Ours is the triangle above the P on the right.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 2:14 AM

I-35 EXPANSION PROJECT

How I-35’s expansion could provide ‘once in a lifetime opportunity’ to UT

by: Kelsey Thompson
Posted: Sep 6, 2023 / 11:45 AM CDT
Updated: Sep 6, 2023 / 07:55 PM CDT

https://www.kxan.com/traffic/traffic...rtunity-to-ut/

UT Austin wants to cover I-35 from Dean Keeton to 15th Street
KUT 90.5 | By Nathan Bernier
Published August 30, 2023 at 5:01 AM CDT

https://www.kut.org/transportation/2...to-15th-street

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 7:07 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

This would be amazing. It would really improve the gameday atmosphere.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 9:06 PM
クラブトクヨ

Wow how long of a cap would that be? Is that longer than the one in Dallas?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 11:46 PM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
Wow how long of a cap would that be? Is that longer than the one in Dallas?
Pardon me if I am wrong ( I probably am), but I think close to a mile.

I am making this estimate based on two things. I believe Dean Keaton is 26th St. If correct, 26th to 15th is 11 blocks. I also believe the stretch of Congress Ave. from the Capitol to Cesar Chavez, which is also 11 blocks, is approximately 1 mile.

Even if less, this would be a very substantial tunnel section, and would be interesting to see what UT would do with this new land.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin