HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 11:34 AM

GoodLife Fitness Avalon Mall location, which closed in March due to Covid-19, never re-opened in July like the other GoodLife locations in Metro. I just heard it will be rebranded and re-open as a Fit4Less location. I am not sure when. Fit4Less is basically a white label brand also owned by GoodLife, which offers just the basics and fewer perks in exchange for lower priced membership fees....sort of like a No Frills for the gym world.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 12:51 PM

Crews are working on the former Quizno's in Mount Pearl and also the former Madison MacKenzie on Kenmount Road. They obviously have tenants but I have no idea what they are. Anyone else know?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 2:46 PM

Does anyone know when The Brick is opening? Will it be before December?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 11:47 AM

300 Kenmount Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
Crews are working on the former Quizno's in Mount Pearl and also the former Madison MacKenzie on Kenmount Road. They obviously have tenants but I have no idea what they are. Anyone else know?
This looks to be new tenant for former Madison MacKenzie space:

https://www.kivik.store/

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 12:01 PM

The Starbucks at 351 Water Street is permanently closing. Since Starbucks was looking to close locations this is not a surprise.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
The Starbucks at 351 Water Street is permanently closing. Since Starbucks was looking to close locations this is not a surprise.
As you mentioned, not surprising seeing that Starbucks have been closing locations throughout NA. However, Starbucks will be opening a location in CBS. So it looks like we will net a difference of 0.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
As you mentioned, not surprising seeing that Starbucks have been closing locations throughout NA. However, Starbucks will be opening a location in CBS. So it looks like we will net a difference of 0.
No starbucks downtown is a bit surprising. Perhaps the fact they now charge over $3 for a medium drip coffee has been people not going there as much. I know that I don't go there 1/4 of what I used to.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
No starbucks downtown is a bit surprising. Perhaps the fact they now charge over $3 for a medium drip coffee has been people not going there as much. I know that I don't go there 1/4 of what I used to.
Yes, no doubt the cost of a regular coffee at Starbucks is becoming egregious... and this is coming from someone who enjoys Starbucks coffee. However, I normally only buy coffee at the store when I have gift card. It's usually brewed at home.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 2:27 PM

There was another Starbucks ready to open in Delta Hotel lobby in early Spring. I've heard construction is complete but it has yet to open.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Many big employers downtown are either downsizing or moved out of downtown (or both). Doesn't surprise me to see that Starbucks going because of that alone. Also I believe the federal government is still working from home (feel free to correct me on that one) so there aren't many people who would be working downtown right now.

Any word on any other Starbucks locations closing in NL?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla77 View Post
Many big employers downtown are either downsizing or moved out of downtown (or both). Doesn't surprise me to see that Starbucks going because of that alone. Also I believe the federal government is still working from home (feel free to correct me on that one) so there aren't many people who would be working downtown right now.

Any word on any other Starbucks locations closing in NL?
I work for the feds downtown and went to this location at least once every two weeks for lunch. I’ve been working from home since March.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Kind of surprised by this. The Husky employees (even post-layoffs) kept fairly constant traffic through that location.. although I'm sure their lease is insanely expensive.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engibeer View Post
Kind of surprised by this. The Husky employees (even post-layoffs) kept fairly constant traffic through that location.. although I'm sure their lease is insanely expensive.
Starbucks had plans to close down 200 stores nationwide this year, I guess this was one of the locations. I was reading somewhere (may have been on another SSP thread) this is a common practice with Starbucks. They constantly reassess locations and close some spots when leases expire while opening others (CBS location for example). The 200 closures are much higher than normal... no shocker there.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 6:51 PM

The Starbucks on Water Street may be closing, but the new location in CBS is open for business now.

I’m happier that Second Cup in the Avalon Mall just FINALLY announced they’ll be back soon. Apparently they couldn’t get out of their lease with the mall so they are opening back up, under new management. ❤️❤️

Last edited by KAO79; Oct 21, 2020 at 6:52 PM. Reason: I like proper capitalization

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAO79 View Post
The Starbucks on Water Street may be closing, but the new location in CBS is open for business now.

I’m happier that Second Cup in the Avalon Mall just FINALLY announced they’ll be back soon. Apparently they couldn’t get out of their lease with the mall so they are opening back up, under new management. ❤️❤️
Is the second cup location on Stavanger opened up again?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Is the second cup location on Stavanger opened up again?
No, just the Avalon because they couldn’t get out of their lease. The previous owner of both was a franchisee, and now the Avalon store has gone corporate instead.

Last edited by KAO79; Oct 26, 2020 at 1:49 AM. Reason: Extra info added

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 3:35 PM

Don't have a picture of it but there is now a map of stores in the mall's expansion section, which includes Levi's which hasnt been announced yet! Levi's, Bikini Village, and Skechers will be next to each other in the new section of the mall

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDMusic View Post
Don't have a picture of it but there is now a map of stores in the mall's expansion section, which includes Levi's which hasnt been announced yet! Levi's, Bikini Village, and Skechers will be next to each other in the new section of the mall
I think allnewfoundlandlabrador.com reported Levi's was coming back at the beginning of the year.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 8:17 PM

Here's a picture of the map in the new mall expansion!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 5:57 PM

Lawtons Drugs is closing it’s Campbell Ave location at the end of the month. It’s been for quite a long time. It will be missed as that’s where I get my prescriptions. Link to story below...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...sing-1.5792322

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's