HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
just like how people will hit 11 then TCH to go between Saskatoon and Winnipeg in winter so they don’t have to stress themselves with the 2-lane Yellowhead Highway

=====
Again, I didn’t come up with this. Someone in this subforum told me it.
The funny thing is that it's less than a 50km difference and it's 4 lane 110 km/h all the way so it's not out of the question. I'm curious if it's a viable route for people who make that trip often.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 2:26 PM

I changed to the HWY 11 & TCH route from Saskatoon to Winnipeg quite a while ago. Realistically, you can average at least 15 km/hr faster on that route vs the Yellowhead (HWY 16) route, meaning it's actually quicker. Plus, you are on a divided highway for the entire route, so it's safer and less prone to long lines of traffic behind slow moving vehicles, so way less stressful. It's an easy decision for me.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 2:50 PM

Quote:
just like how people will hit 11 then TCH to go between Saskatoon and Winnipeg in winter so they don’t have to stress themselves with the 2-lane Yellowhead Highway
Or I occasionally take Highway 11 to Prince Albert from Regina, instead of the shorter routes via highway 6, 20 or 2. (I remember doing this in the summer once, in the late '80s, because highways 11, 16 and 1 were the only highways in the province with mobile phone coverage. )

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 3:07 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

#TBT When I was young, I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that traveling on a longer route could sometimes take less time than on a shorter one.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 4:24 PM

Quote:
#TBT When I was young, I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that traveling on a longer route could sometimes take less time than on a shorter one.
According to the all knowing Google Maps, a drive from Winnipeg to Saskatoon would take 8:05 via the Yellowhead, and 8:07 via the TCH/11.

To my mind it's a no-brainer, I've driven the Yellowhead route to Edmonton numerous times and it tends to be isolated (boring, potentially riskier in case of breakdown) and the two-lane highway from Portage la Prairie to Saskatoon can be dicey in the winter. If I had to drive to Saskatoon or points west again, there's no question I'd take the TCH/11 combo.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 5:13 PM

People definitely take #1 instead of Yellowhead for the long distance route. Way less stressful and safer. Unless you are travelling to somewhere like Yorkton. Even then, Taking #1 to Brandon and then #10 north is a good option.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 5:37 PM

I will say that the few times I've taken the bypass to get from Harbour Landing to Fairwest West & vice versa, the road has been fairly busy. I imagine this is one of the busier parts of the route surrounding Regina.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 6:06 PM

The amount of semi traffic on Arcola has seemed to increase since the bypass opened. Seems like semis are coming from the Ring Road, turning onto Arcola and then getting on the Bypass.

That stretch is already bad enough with cars, semis aren't helping anything. Any chance the city would ever consider making Arcola restricted for semis? Or at least giving them a designated lane?

I suspect it won't be long until Arcola intersections fall apart/get giant humps like Victoria Avenue did.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike328 View Post
The amount of semi traffic on Arcola has seemed to increase since the bypass opened. Seems like semis are coming from the Ring Road, turning onto Arcola and then getting on the Bypass.

That stretch is already bad enough with cars, semis aren't helping anything. Any chance the city would ever consider making Arcola restricted for semis? Or at least giving them a designated lane?

I suspect it won't be long until Arcola intersections fall apart/get giant humps like Victoria Avenue did.
I disagree. I have noticed far fewer semis. I am on it every day.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 6:47 PM

Arcola is a mess and was never designed to handle the traffic volume on it today.

Between Ring Road and Balgonie are some 75,000 people. They are disproportionately single occupancy car drivers working downtown. And there are two (three if you count Dewdney) ways to cross Ring Road in the east end.

It won't get better.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Arcola is a mess and was never designed to handle the traffic volume on it today.

Between Ring Road and Balgonie are some 75,000 people. They are disproportionately single occupancy car drivers working downtown. And there are two (three if you count Dewdney) ways to cross Ring Road in the east end.

It won't get better.

Seeing as the city missed the chance to widen the Arcola bridge, I'd love to see a carpool lot out past Chuka and an LRT route run down the middle of Arcola/Sask Drive and terminate at the existing parking lot beside the Canada Post building, right adjacent to the future pedestrian link to the Yards development. It will never happen of course!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
Seeing as the city missed the chance to widen the Arcola bridge, I'd love to see a carpool lot out past Chuka and an LRT route run down the middle of Arcola/Sask Drive and terminate at the existing parking lot beside the Canada Post building, right adjacent to the future pedestrian link to the Yards development. It will never happen of course!
One of the biggest Ring Road screw ups along with the Wascana Bridges replacement this summer. I fear the Winnipeg St. overpass may be next.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
One of the biggest Ring Road screw ups along with the Wascana Bridges replacement this summer. I fear the Winnipeg St. overpass may be next.
That Winnipeg overpass will never handle the volume that Arcola does. The non-widening of that bridge is a colossal screw up and failure of the city planners. The bridge replacement this summer on the Ring Road was a very minor inconvenience compared to the crap show that is Arcola daily.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I disagree. I have noticed far fewer semis. I am on it every day.
Interesting, curious what times you drive on it - by no means discrediting you. I noticed an increase once the first part of the bypass opened and it seems to have continued.

I avoid it at all costs in the morning but have driven on it a few times at lunch, coming from downtown to past prince of Wales and noticed semis every time. 5 oclock has been hit and miss but I'd say 3 out of 5 days there is a grain or gas truck.

Agreed with the arcola bridge blunder. I fear what the city has in store for the Arcola and College intersection.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike328 View Post
Interesting, curious what times you drive on it - by no means discrediting you. I noticed an increase once the first part of the bypass opened and it seems to have continued.

I avoid it at all costs in the morning but have driven on it a few times at lunch, coming from downtown to past prince of Wales and noticed semis every time. 5 oclock has been hit and miss but I'd say 3 out of 5 days there is a grain or gas truck.

Agreed with the arcola bridge blunder. I fear what the city has in store for the Arcola and College intersection.
Not trying to be an arse but of course there'd be more trucks on Arcola when part of the Bypass opened due to the opened section ending at Arcola and the trucks that took that having to return to Ring Road via the overpass.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
That Winnipeg overpass will never handle the volume that Arcola does. The non-widening of that bridge is a colossal screw up and failure of the city planners. The bridge replacement this summer on the Ring Road was a very minor inconvenience compared to the crap show that is Arcola daily.
No. This was one of the very few good things the city planners. Listing to people such as yourselves who are ignorant of induced demand would have been an utter disaster.

If you don't like the Arcola bridge, then don't voluntarily live in the absolute worst part of Regina!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Not trying to be an arse but of course there'd be more trucks on Arcola when part of the Bypass opened due to the opened section ending at Arcola and the trucks that took that having to return to Ring Road via the overpass.
Right, but I was hoping that increased semi traffic would drop off again once the full bypass opened.

Maybe it has and I just notice the semi traffic more.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
No. This was one of the very few good things the city planners. Listing to people such as yourselves who are ignorant of induced demand would have been an utter disaster.

If you don't like the Arcola bridge, then don't voluntarily live in the absolute worst part of Regina!
Agree 100%.

Widening Arcola Bridge is a mistake.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Agree 100%.

Widening Arcola Bridge is a mistake.
I agree with this, in regards to induced demand. The only problem is we aren't planning for a more robust public transit system. Suburb living isn't going away any time soon. And just for my two cents, I used to live College/Arcola area and I now live in the Towns(I can see Costco from my house). I take public transit to the South end for work and I love living in the East end. To each their own I guess...

Last edited by cityboy; Dec 12, 2019 at 3:48 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post

I disagree. You build a six lane road with limited access and fencing and then don't fix a two-lane bottleneck when you are rebuilding the bridges anyway because some people think everyone should live downtown or take the bus.

Last edited by Stormer; Dec 12, 2019 at 3:00 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan