HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
My landlord was telling me that he got to go on a tour of the inside of the house! He said it is surprisingly small. The kitchen is on the view (west) side with very small windows.
What I thought was the entrance on the north side is actually the entrance to an open air courtyard in the middle of the house. There is one bedroom on the second floor in front and then there are 2 bedrooms at the back over the double garage.

Spiral House by LUMIN8, on Flickr
no stairs in the house either, all ramps.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 11:50 PM
not a NIMBY

My favourite new house in Parkhill. The front of the house is on 33 Ave, and the back of the house is on 34 Ave. I love the giant windows that allow lots of light in. The big windows on the north side will have a view of downtown that will never disappear.

Parkhill 33rd Ave house by LUMIN8, on Flickr

This house also fronts 33 Ave and backs on to 34 Ave. The structure of this house is steel beams. I hope the windows will be bigger than it shows.

Parkhill steel house by LUMIN8, on Flickr

This house on 34 Ave is an original dollhouse bungalow. First they jacked the house up and put a proper foundation under it, and then they added the garage and on to the back, as well as a new facade.

34th Ave re-hab parkhill by LUMIN8, on Flickr

This old timer is on Mission Road but sort of hidden. It has a huge side yard.

Parkhill original Mission Road by LUMIN8, on Flickr

Parkhill 1 St SW by LUMIN8, on Flickr

Parkhill dollhouses by LUMIN8, on Flickr

This house on the ridge was stopped for the longest time. Now it looks like they are adding a third floor on top.

jogging Parkhill by LUMIN8, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
This house on the ridge was stopped for the longest time. Now it looks like they are adding a third floor on top.

jogging Parkhill by LUMIN8, on Flickr
this is a richard lindseth design. from what i can tell, it was either built without a permit or at least has so much community backlash, there is a stop work order on the job. the neighbours are not happy with this house at all.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenFlames View Post
this is a richard lindseth design. from what i can tell, it was either built without a permit or at least has so much community backlash, there is a stop work order on the job. the neighbours are not happy with this house at all.
What arent they happy with? Looks fairly benign and similar to other new homes in the area.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishavenger View Post
What arent they happy with? Looks fairly benign and similar to other new homes in the area.
there are no permits in place. i just checked 'my property' and it appears that no permits, development or building are applied for. so it's easy to see why so much backlash from the community.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 6:26 AM

Quote:
there are no permits in place. i just checked 'my property' and it appears that no permits, development or building are applied for. so it's easy to see why so much backlash from the community.
What is the address of this one? I think I might know the issue, and believe it did have all the permits in place.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 4:39 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
What is the address of this one? I think I might know the issue, and believe it did have all the permits in place.
3906 1A St SW

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 6:13 PM

Quote:
my info is hearsay from a neighbour 2 doors down (the yellow house on the corner) who used to sit on the CA so take it for what it's worth.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 9:29 PM

Problem with that one is the architect was given the wrong information from the City in terms of height of the mains in the alley he was to tie the services to. He built the services based on the information provided (that was incorrect) and as they are gravity fed, the whole house was designed based on these elevations. When they went to hook it up, they found they were about a meter too low, so could not hook up to the mains in the alley.

A design is being worked on to determine how to rectify the situation, but until the sewer can be hooked up, no water can be hooked up, which really slows the pace of construction at this stage.

So not the architects fault, and all permits were in place. An oversight on the City's part for that one.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 12:04 AM
not a NIMBY

WEIRD! Thanks for the info.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Problem with that one is the architect was given the wrong information from the City in terms of height of the mains in the alley he was to tie the services to. He built the services based on the information provided (that was incorrect) and as they are gravity fed, the whole house was designed based on these elevations. When they went to hook it up, they found they were about a meter too low, so could not hook up to the mains in the alley.

A design is being worked on to determine how to rectify the situation, but until the sewer can be hooked up, no water can be hooked up, which really slows the pace of construction at this stage.

So not the architects fault, and all permits were in place. An oversight on the City's part for that one.
how does lack of water affect the construction?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 4:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I can imagine a need to simply stop construction given the underlying issue. The design may need to have fundamental changes implemented - and in that scenario, would you really want to be sinking more money without knowing what will be required to correct?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 5:19 AM
Snarkotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburb View Post
I can imagine a need to simply stop construction given the underlying issue. The design may need to have fundamental changes implemented - and in that scenario, would you really want to be sinking more money without knowing what will be required to correct?
You'd be shocked how often that very thing happens on large projects.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Guys doing the stucco need water. So without a tap on site, you have to truck it in, which is very expensive. And now that it is cold out (or, is supposed to be at least), stucco doesn't go on very well so it is kind of put on hold until the weather is consistently warmer. Not sure if there is other steps in the construction affected by it, but I know stucco is a big one.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 3:03 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Guys doing the stucco need water. So without a tap on site, you have to truck it in, which is very expensive. And now that it is cold out (or, is supposed to be at least), stucco doesn't go on very well so it is kind of put on hold until the weather is consistently warmer. Not sure if there is other steps in the construction affected by it, but I know stucco is a big one.
Also to get plumbing passed you would have to perform a pressure test and a likely test the drains and sewer connection, and if the plumbing isn't passed you can't insulate or drywall

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 10:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:

What a fuck up.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburb View Post
i don't see anything major needing to happen design wise. when a sewer service is too high for gravity fed drainage, they install a sewer lift. if it's a water main, the solution might be that simple as well.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 2:22 AM

Quote:
neighbours have spigots. i'm sure a neighbour would be nice enough to lend some water to have this project move forward. stucco is a minor issue that could be resolved easily, other than the cold weather you mention, which makes the water issue irrelevant.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 7:55 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I consider myself a fairly nice person, but I don't think I'd be too keen on a neighbouring construction site using my water unless they came asking with some cash in their hands.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 12:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I consider myself a fairly nice person, but I don't think I'd be too keen on a neighbouring construction site using my water unless they came asking with some cash in their hands.

When houses were going up next to us back in 2010, we had to be militant about turning off the outside power and water to our place so the construction workers wouldn't leech from us.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos