HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

FMC Tower at Cira Centre South in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 4:56 PM
Realtor

drive by shot today

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 2:22 PM

If there had to be a choice between having the ACC project going forward or having the entire Cira II project, I would choose Cira II without hesitation. They shouldn't even start Cira II if they don't plan on doing the whole design though. ACC would be a great addition in height for out city but Cira II would add a whole new skyline. I'm not saying both can't be built, but if there had to be a choice I would choose Cira II.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 9:03 PM

As much as I like 4-digit-height buildings, I gotta agree with you. Stretch the skyline out a bit first.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 4:33 AM

Take this for what it's worth but there may be a new, more definitive time-line in place for construction of the Cira South towers. Also, 42 stories is a more specific number as opposed to the 40-50 range in earlier reports. Is the tower portion of this project a go? Hmmm .... See this weeks Philadelphia Weekely:

Slow Build-Up

More riverfront development will transform Penn’s shores—eventually.

by Meir Rinde

... The developer Brandywine Realty Trust has grand plans for a complex dubbed Cira Centre South on part of the property. It would include a 42-story office, hotel and condo tower on Walnut Street, a large adjoining parking garage, and an apartment tower on Chestnut Street.

Construction of the garage is slated to begin by early fall and end in 2010; the towers are tentatively expected to be finished in 2011. Demolition has begun inside the post office building, which will be renovated to become an IRS office ...

http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/articles/16672/news

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 10:01 PM

Location: philadelphia -umm loft district/chinatown, i don't know what its called
More demo...

some from today...

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 11:08 PM
Resident Jackass

lookin good

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 1:05 AM
Western Suburbs

There are two 40+ storey office/condo towers correct? In additon to Cira Center, there are 3 other proposed buildings? Originally there were 2, but recent photos suggested 3...

The tower on Walnut Street is said to contain a very large contingent from UPenn.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 1:25 AM
My CAT digs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Got Five View Post
There are two 40+ storey office/condo towers correct? In additon to Cira Center, there are 3 other proposed buildings? Originally there were 2, but recent photos suggested 3...

The tower on Walnut Street is said to contain a very large contingent from UPenn.
We Got Five, all of that information is on the first page of the thread.

To answer your questions: The Cira Center South Project includes a 40 to 50-story (office & hotel) tower on Walnut St, a 25 to 30-story condo tower on Chestnut, the renovated 30th St Post Office building, and a 2400-space parking garage between the two new towers which will be shared by the whole complex. The first phase is in progress and it is to renovate the Post Office building and tear down the old Postal Annex. Once the Annex is gone, construction will start on the garage. The IRS is scheduled to move into the Post Office building and the garage in 2010. If everything is still good, phase 2 will start once the garage is done. Phase 2 will be one of the towers, but I am not sure which one is going to be built first.

There are some pictures out there of another, much taller tower located to the west of 30th St Station. I don't think that tower (Cira 3?) has been officially proposed.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 5:41 AM

Thanks for the photo updates. That's some seriously ugly stuff they're tearing down. Woohoo!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 5:35 PM

Can't say I'll miss the Post Office Annex.

Ugh.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 5:12 PM

Moving along quite quickly. Glad to see it happen.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 6:47 PM

Location: philadelphia -umm loft district/chinatown, i don't know what its called
photos from today...

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 11:38 PM
Resident Jackass

not much left...

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 12:11 AM
BANNED

When demolition occurs, does everything get recycled? Of course I would imagine all steel and ironwork does, but does the cement also get recycled and perhaps the glass? It would be pretty stupid and a major waste of money not to...

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 12:30 AM
Always Lookin' Up

I know all metals are recycled, glass obviously can be. Concrete that is recycled is now being used in new concrete for road beds. It gets ground up and added to the mix. Of course all this depends on the demo company. They might just prefer a landfill for disposal of non-metals.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 12:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraggman View Post
I know all metals are recycled, glass obviously can be. Concrete that is recycled is now being used in new concrete for road beds. It gets ground up and added to the mix. Of course all this depends on the demo company. They might just prefer a landfill for disposal of non-metals.
Hopefully a law will be put in place someday where all materials that can be recycled must be recycled. It seems logical doesn't it? Why waste money creating new materials if you already have them from (at least in some proportion) previous construction that cost money to build?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 12:45 PM
Always Lookin' Up

I agree 100%.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 1:51 PM
Don't tase me, Bro!

I also agree, but the reason this hasn't happened yet is that the cost of recycling materials can sometimes be just as high if not higher than making new materials.

On another note... I have heard some rumors from some pretty legitimate sources that the Cira South project has been cancelled. Apparently there has been a problem brewing between the developer and the architect for some time now.

Demolition of the Annex will continue to completion, but construction most likely will not be starting when the demolition is complete.

Like I said, this is just something I've heard, but the individual I heard it from has a lot of contacts in a lot of places and could easily get this kind of information. With that said, feel free to draw your own conclusions.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 2:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuylkiller View Post
On another note... I have heard some rumors from some pretty legitimate sources that the Cira South project has been cancelled. Apparently there has been a problem brewing between the developer and the architect for some time now.
I hope this is not the case, but depending on the nature of the problem between the two, it does not necessarily spell doom for the entire project. often, the developer will just hire another architect to complete the job.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 2:14 PM
Resident Jackass

Right-o SS--if the architect is being a tool, the developer will just get a new one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive