HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 11:42 PM

love it. all commercial makes me anxious though about feasibility. but you don't pay hsu unless you're going to get it done imo

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 11:50 PM

Just seems like a long play. Eventually office demand will claw its way back and towers like this will be in higher demand than their neighbors.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 2:05 AM

Absolutely gorgeous, but I will not let them play with me -- I've been burned too many times!!!

Also, the purple garage is where I park for work. WhErE Am I gOnNa pUt mY cAR?!?!?

Also also, they are def tearing down the garage and starting from scratch.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 3:16 AM

Wow, that is beautiful! (Other than the parking garage.)

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 2:39 PM

That's the Domain C project. The site plan has been slowly moving through the approval process for more than a year.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...rtyrsn=3334480

Here's a repost of the elevations. It's 21-stories, 312'.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 8:07 PM

Am I late on the Terra news? How tall is it and did they break ground? Completion of summer 2025 is very soon.

EDIT: Or never mind, I see the news on top of my post haha. '312 at 21 stories

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 9:15 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

With the current office situation, what are the chances this or any of the other office towers planned actually get built?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
That's the Domain C project. The site plan has been slowly moving through the approval process for more than a year.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...rtyrsn=3334480

Here's a repost of the elevations. It's 21-stories, 312'.
Where does extra 6’ come from?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
Where does extra 6’ come from?
Mechanical. That particular elevation does not show it.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 4:44 PM

I re-measured it with an elevation showing the mechanical, and I came up with 315'.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Huh, item 27

"The City Council initiates amendments to City Code Title 25 (Land Development Code) to amend the North Burnet/Gateway Regulating Plan to create a new subdistrict called the Research and Sciences Mixed Use Subdistrict and to establish a new set of uses, including but not limited to, life sciences, lab, and biomed uses, and to establish development regulations and standards applicable to said district."

No details on what the changes might be for this district. The fact that council is short-cutting the process makes me think there's already something in the works.

https://services.austintexas.gov/edi....cfm?id=418234

https://www.austintexas.gov/departme...231109-reg.htm
Interesting update about this, via ABJ. Turns out it was about Pickle, after all.

Quote:
Research, sciences subdistrict envisioned near The Domain
Goal is for UT, others to develop new health sciences facilities focused on innovation

A new city initiative aims to champion the development of research and science facilities in a rapidly changing portion of North Austin near The Domain.

City Council has approved an amendment to the North Burnet/Gateway Regulating Plan to create a new research and sciences mixed-use subdistrict. The goal is to pave the way for the University of Texas' J.J. Pickle Research Campus – and potentially others – to develop new health sciences facilities focused on innovation.

The hope is that labs and biomedical facilities will blossom just south of The Domain, a development many call Austin's second downtown due to its office and residential towers.

The resolution, approved on consent by City Council during its Nov. 9 meeting, directs the city manager’s office to process the code amendments needed to establish the district and return to Council with a draft ordinance by Feb. 29.

The exact details of how these changes will promote specialized research and lab facilities remain undetermined, said Council Member Leslie Pool, who represents the area.

“I think we're at a tipping point,” Pool said. “I want to be sure that we lay the groundwork for this innovative sector, particularly in an area that's so well positioned for growth.”

Although the exact details of the subdistrict have yet to be drafted, Pool said there may be opportunities for others outside of the research campus to take advantage of the incoming regulations.

“We are tagging it for the UT campus, specifically,” Pool said. “Whether there might be a different property elsewhere, that would also want to make use of that element of the subdistrict, they would be able to share in that.”

Representatives of UT did not immediately respond to the ABJ’s requests for comment.

The J.J. Pickle Research Campus, split between two properties divided by MoPac Expressway, is home to a variety of the university's research initiatives. That includes the Applied Research Laboratories, which is focused on defense research; the Texas Advanced Computing Center; the Bureau of Economic Geology, which is focused on energy resources; and the Nuclear Engineering Teaching Lab — home to a functioning nuclear reactor.

The proposal comes as local life sciences employment has expanded nearly 74% between 2020 and 2022 and is expected to continue to climb at a rate of 6.5% per year through 2025, according to Newmark Group Inc., a New York-based commercial real estate advisory and services firm. Opportunity Austin, a regional economic development group, aims to build out the industry as part of its next five-year strategic plan.

“We are projected to be a national leader in the life sciences sector,” Pool said.

More than 18,000 people work already in life sciences in the region at nearly 300 companies, according to data collected by the Austin Chamber of Commerce.

During the most recent South by Southwest conference, Austin-based investment firm Santé Ventures shared insight into the growth potential of the industry.

"These are big names in health care that are building a presence here in Austin," said Dennis McWilliams, a partner at Santé. "Being health sciences, we have always kept our head down and done our own thing, but now, to have a community around us, it has been nice."

The push for such innovation zones isn't without peril. For instance, the health care-focused 324,000 square-foot Innovation Tower near downtown is still standing vacant more than a year after being ready for tenants. It's part of Austin's new "innovation district" near the new teaching hospital.

Still, many share the opinion that much more space is needed to accommodate future growth, especially specialized mid-level lab space that could accommodate startup businesses.

“I think we are in a rare pause in Austin real estate,” Pool said. “But with everything I'm reading and hearing on life sciences, I certainly want to be prepared and forward-focused for the rise in this sector. With UT bringing this to that part of the city – bringing life sciences to Austin – that will trigger that additional focus and interest. Both downtown and the North Burnet/Gateway area offer medical hubs for providers and patients, but I think the Pickle campuses are delivering on research and development growth in a unique way, just in terms of physical space and workforce talent.”

The new resolution marks the continued transformation of the busy North Austin submarket, which is home to Q2 Stadium and other major projects including Brandywine Realty Trust’s Uptown ATX development.

The proposed science-focused district follows several changes made to the North Burnet/Gateway in recent months including policies to encourage denser development in the area by increasing the maximum building height allowed in the district.

The decision by the City Council also follows the September announcement that UT’s Discovery to Impact program will establish its first off-campus wet lab space for life science startups, investing in a 10,000-square-foot space at Karlin Real Estate’s Parmer Austin campus.

Bart Olds, managing director of Karlin Real Estate's Parmer Innovation Centers, has also said Austin is on its way to “becoming a global player in the life sciences industry.”

Other recent life science-focused real estate deals include New York-based Related Fund Management LLC’s $65 million plan to build a 310,000-square-foot cold storage facility in Lockhart, which could be used to store medicine. The company aims to open the cold storage facility in early 2025 and employ at least 100 people at the 53-acre site north of State Highway 130 along Farm to Market Road 2001.

In Cedar Park, Triple Temp Cold Storage LLC officially opened its cold storage facility on Nov. 2 for companies in need of climate-controlled storage including the life sciences sector. Developed by Investex II LLC, the project represents a $14 million investment creating 60 jobs.

In October 2022, Alexandria Real Estate Equities Inc., a firm that primarily operates in the life sciences and technology sectors, announced that it purchased the Austin headquarters of the Teacher Retirement System at 10th and Red River streets in downtown Austin for $108 million.
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...strict-ut.html

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Interesting update about this, via ABJ. Turns out it was about Pickle, after all.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...strict-ut.html
Rather confusing. Pickle isn't even covered by the NBG regulations currently. UT just does what they want with it. Hard to imagine what council might need to do to "pave the way" for any particular project on it.

Unless they figure Pickle is going to do what they want, but they want the regulations for any (covered) adjacent land to opt into as well?

"Pool said there may be opportunities for others outside of the research campus to take advantage of the incoming regulations."

Oh well, I guess we'll find out next year.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 4:29 PM

Yeah, I think there's a lot still to be revealed here. I think it's also hmmmm-worthy that the city wants to encourage a second medical "innovation district." I'm not against it, and demand might support it, but as they point out in the article, that first speculative tower built near Dell Med is still sitting empty. Are we on the outs with THAT innovation district? I'd love more information on both fronts.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2023, 7:08 PM

I just saw that the existing office building at 10711 Burnet is being taken down:

I remember seeing the post a while back about a 20-story tower going in here. Nice to see this seems to be moving forward:

Old Posted Nov 20, 2023, 7:13 PM

Thanks for the update Jeremy!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2023, 8:04 PM
クラブトクヨ

Wjhoa I forgot about this one!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 8:57 PM

Hundreds of Apartments Replacing a Big Ol’ Drive-Thru Bank on Burnet Road

Quote:
An apartment project set to bring approximately 306 new residences to a drive-thru bank and adjacent parking lot of an office building on Burnet Road is preparing to take its first steps in the Allandale neighborhood of North Central Austin, with the site plan for the development at 7618 Burnet Road now approved by the city and a demolition permit prepping the site for construction now in review.

https://austin.towers.net/hundreds-o...lyn@towers.net

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 5:02 PM

The site plan for the Hines Domain Northside (IBM's future office home) office building was approved last week.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 12:32 AM
Meh

That building looks like a stage for a Rolling Stones concert.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 11:58 PM

Burnet Road’s Tallest Apartment Tower Moving Forward Near the Domain

Quote:
Despite a general slowdown in construction starts across the city, things look sunnier than ever for new multifamily development in the area of North Austin near the Domain and Q2 Stadium. Despite being saddled with the extremely clumsy compound regional name of “North Burnet / Gateway” — like it or not, almost everybody calls it “The Domain,” sorry — the district enjoys the loosest zoning restrictions in the city outside of downtown proper, with the latest updates allowing towers rising up to 491 feet assuming they provide community benefits under the area’s regulating plan.

One of the latest projects taking advantage of this district’s unusually chill approach to height restrictions is the unnamed plan by Trammell Crow’s multifamily subsidiary High Street Residential, which is developing a 20-story apartment tower at a 2.2-acre site near the northeast corner of the increasingly busy intersection of Braker Lane and Burnet Road formerly occupied by a BBVA Chase Bank branch at 10711 Burnet Road. But unlike a lot of towers we’ve seen announced across town, the developers are actually doing something in the real world to prepare for its construction — demolition on the former bank building kicked off here last month, and the structure is now completely removed with site prep seemingly underway.

Although we don’t have a construction timeline confirmed at the moment, plans for this site approved by the city describe a tower containing 416 total residences, with 54 of those apartments income-restricted as affordable rental housing for individuals or families earning up to 60 percent of the region’s median household income — in 2023, that’s $49,080 or less for an individual or no more than $70,080 for a family of four.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin