HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 11:11 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Ultimately, I'm happy that NY didn't get it if only because the city and/or state would have gave Amazon millions in tax breaks for just coming here. That money should be put to updating the subway system, something that would make me have some more respect for AOC ( besides her natural beauty ) if she considers that as a worthy goal to get behind. It would help the city in a fashion similar to how Amazon could have helped the LIC community.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 12:06 AM

- I imagine that Google is loving the fact that they will not have to compete for tech-talent as they continue to slowly expand their NYC operations.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 12:14 AM

/\/\/\ If/when Google gets too big a presence here I wonder if the establishment will turn against them too.

If you pay NYC taxes, you already give Amazon money when the various public employee pension funds go out and buy Amazon stock. Which is worse, giving Amazon a discount on taxes to bring tens of thousands of high paying jobs or just shoveling them money which will be spent on a retired DSNY guy in Florida?

There is no 3 Billion dollars lying around to "fix the subways" (which is a tens of billions of dollars undertaking). There's now $0. It's like me buying a $10 item then presenting a $2 coupon. When the cashier gets an attitude I just say "forget it" and put it back. Instead of netting $8 on the sale, he/she now has $0. NYC is that rude cashier.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 12:17 AM

I'll laugh my behind off if it gets leaked that Cuomo and Bezos met for steaks in DC or Seattle and Jeff just quietly goes on an office space buying spree in Manhattan and puts in the 40k jobs *plus* netting the business incentives. I hope so badly that's the case.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 12:20 AM
BANNED

I'll LMAO once people realize that Amazon's Alexa has been spying on their personal conversations, geographical locations and then sold that to political campaigns to then target those very people. L.O.L.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 12:40 AM

I mean, there's nothing they could do with Alexa that they're not already doing with your smartphones and computers.

Alexa is totally useless though, I don't understand why people waste money on that trash. It's just a talking toy for adults.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
I mean, there's nothing they could do with Alexa that they're not already doing with your smartphones and computers.

Alexa is totally useless though, I don't understand why people waste money on that trash. It's just a talking toy for adults.
Not Really. Its great for smart home features, for music, for news.. It makes things simpler for a relatively low price

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 7:22 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Amazon Taking 360K SF at 5 Manhattan West for 2,000-Employee Office
Quote:
Hot on the heels of Amazon’s new fulfillment center in Staten Island, the e-commerce giant—founded by Jeff Bezos—has signed a 360,000-square-foot deal at Brookfield Property Partners‘ 5 Manhattan West, the landlord announced today.

The digital retail company will occupy the entire sixth and seventh floors and portions of the eighth and 10th floors of 5 Manhattan West, which is located on 10th Avenue between West 31st and West 33rd Streets, taking the building’s occupancy to 99 percent. The building is a part of Manhattan West, Brookfield’s eight-acre, six-building mixed-use development. A Brookfield spokeswoman declined to disclose the asking rent and the length of the lease.

As Commercial Observer first reported in April, Amazon was in talks at the time to take around 350,000 square feet of office space at 5 Manhattan West. Office asking rents at the property were said to be in the $90s per square foot, sources said at the time.

Amazon will move into the building next year. In exchange for creating 2,000 office jobs at the property, the state will give Amazon $20 million in tax credits. A variety of roles will be undertaken at the location, with Amazon hiring software engineers, data analysts and economists. It will also be the primary location in New York for Amazon’s advertising division—comprised of sales, marketing, product, design and engineering staffers.
===============
https://commercialobserver.com/2017/...ployee-office/

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 7:23 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Some positive news, and looks in tune with what we thought, that they will expand elsewhere besides LIC, but not leave NYC completely.

2000 employee office is a good start. Will add up if more deals are made.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
Very random question but would NYC have been better off offering $61k grants to 25,000 start-ups or $61k per job to Amazon?
There is no way they could have ever hoped to process 25,000 grant applications, so it’s the latter by default.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Some positive news, and looks in tune with what we thought, that they will expand elsewhere besides LIC, but not leave NYC completely.

2000 employee office is a good start. Will add up if more deals are made.
They would have always hired some employees in Manhattan, with or without “HQ2”.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 7:45 PM
Never Dell

The might be going big in Bellevue, which is Seattle's version of Crystal City including rail under construction. A newspaper tallied up all of the rumored leases or locations of interest there, including a little current occupancy, and came up with 3.9 msf.

That's roughly the total of the same newspaper's (PSBJ) tally of local Facebook leases/rumors.

Maybe we're getting our own HQ2a and HQ2b.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 8:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
There is no way they could have ever hoped to process 25,000 grant applications, so it’s the latter by default.
Those numbers are obviously a little silly and in reality it would be more like 250 applications for 100 jobs each. This is a very valid point and indeed many of the incentives that Amazon was offered were already on the books for any company creating jobs in NYC (but of course others were not).

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Ultimately, I'm happy that NY didn't get it if only because the city and/or state would have gave Amazon millions in tax breaks for just coming here. That money should be put to updating the subway system, something that would make me have some more respect for AOC ( besides her natural beauty ) if she considers that as a worthy goal to get behind. It would help the city in a fashion similar to how Amazon could have helped the LIC community.
Good lord. Ignorant and Proud.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
amazon had already signed on to the hudson yards manhattan west development for 2k new advertising office jobs. that makes for 4k amazon office jobs in the city, as others are scattered around town.

that's enough amazon white collar business for nyc.

if you can even trust them that 2k will happen.

i mean there is a lease, but all those employment numbers are underpaid drones or just gimmicky bs.

and did i read bezos gives like basically nothing to charity as compared to other mega rich people? yes i did. a publicity pittance to send a few immigrant kids to college is all, then he screws his workers and everyone else over:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...lution-253693/

whatever. buncha jerks.
WTF? Who makes that decision?

Whoa charity police, stop worrying about what people do with their money.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 4:22 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman821 View Post
Good lord. Ignorant and Proud.
It was mostly tongue-in-cheek. Just trying to see the bright side of things, acurate or not.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 6:07 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Amazon is turning out to be a bunch of a-holes. Over in Seattle too!

Seems like if they can't change the way the city operates in some way, via taxes or other factors, they run from deals.

=============

Amazon walks away from 722K sf lease for Seattle’s Rainier Square

Quote:
Amazon is walking away from another huge real estate deal, this time in its hometown of Seattle.

The e-commerce giant is cancelling a 722,000-square-foot lease for the entirety of Wright Runstad & Company’s 58-story Rainier Square tower, currently under construction, according to the Seattle Times. Last year Amazon threatened to pull the plug on the lease if the city passed a proposed business tax, which it ultimately did not.

The decision comes just two weeks after Amazon shocked real estate watchers and abandoned plans for a new 25,000-job headquarters in New York’s Long Island City neighborhood. In doing so, the company turned away from a $3 billion incentive program amid intense opposition to the deal from some city, state, and federal lawmakers.

Both the Seattle and Long Island City episodes show Amazon is willing to leave major deals on the table if it can’t get the economic concessions it wants from local governments. Seattle’s so-called “head tax” would have taxed large companies around $275 per employee to pay for services and housing for people experiencing homelessness.
=========
TRD

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Amazon is turning out to be a bunch of a-holes. Over in Seattle too!

Seems like if they can't change the way the city operates in some way, via taxes or other factors, they run from deals.
Simply good business and realistic economics. I'm against corporate welfare (as in the NY deal) but also against trying to suck money out of deep pockets. There's no reason Amazon or any other business should be expected to sit still for it and they won't. Liberal city rulers need to understand this.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 8:50 PM

I think we're missing something with Amazon. I have no idea what it is, but the public is missing some piece of the narrative.

They supposedly got cold feet about NYC because there was some opposition, but any idiot knows that getting anything done in NYC is controversial. They actually faced surprisingly limited resistance. You could hand out $1 million no strings attached to every household and 30% of the population would object.

Now they're cancelling towers in Seattle after Seattle rolled over and removed any potentially objectionable taxes. What's going on here?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I think we're missing something with Amazon. I have no idea what it is, but the public is missing some piece of the narrative.

They supposedly got cold feet about NYC because there was some opposition, but any idiot knows that getting anything done in NYC is controversial. They actually faced surprisingly limited resistance. You could hand out $1 million no strings attached to every household and 30% of the population would object.

Now they're cancelling towers in Seattle after Seattle rolled over and removed any potentially objectionable taxes. What's going on here?
Gotta pay Mrs. Bezos's alimony.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions