HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 6:40 PM
Urban Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Measuring Stick View Post
KGC I completely disagree with you and the heritage society. Do you keep old sneakers when they are worn out. Some things just are not worth keeping for memories. There will be thousands of pictures to remember the traffic bridge and an upgrade was essential to accommodate your philosophy of increasing downtown density and a thriving downtown that acts as the centre of the community. In order for this to occur we need good access and a new bridge will serve as an excellent entrance to Nasser's development.

On the flip side I do think we need to do something to commemorate the bridge and its history. As I mentioned in a previous post rehabilitating one section of the bridge into the nearby Meewasin Trail may be an excellent way to keep the history while expanding our City. I am not one who is against the keeping of our historical buildings, but buildings can be much better retrofitted than a bridge.
I agree with you for future growth of the city, which is what this is about in the end. I'm just disappointed the city is taking the easy route and replicating the existing bridge. A signature structure would have been a crowning feature of the city.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan