HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
project has been scaled way back

Can you elaborate on this comment? As of yesterday work continues on the site.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 4:35 PM
the first stamp is free

Is the foundation in?

It is comical that a very "green" architect could be expected to complete something of this scale. It would be a similar situation to the Investors Field and the amount of experience that architect had with Stadium design...

Wow.

First they ditch their first structural engineer, way back in the process to hire someone out of province. Now they ditch their Architect. I imagine this latest change of consultants has something to do with outstanding invoices...

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Is the foundation in?
Caissons were porured some time ago, grade beam work continues as of today.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 4:44 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Caissons were porured some time ago, grade beam work continues as of today.
Well maybe that could be a benefit to attract someone quickly to transition the project.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Well maybe that could be a benefit to attract someone quickly to transition the project.

Hopefully this will be the case.

When/If they pull all the equipment/office off site we will know what has happened in certainty.

Have to let it play out..

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 5:23 PM

Often times work begins on these projects before anybody knows the final status as a means to kick-start what are slumping sales. The realtor might tell the developer that people are reticent to commit to a project that is somewhat dubious and still very hypothetical. As a response, the developer takes the gamble that beginning some work will give the impression the project is most definitely moving forward and that will attract those dithering purchases.

Doesn't seem to have worked in this case. I can't tell you what the project will eventually look like, only that the form was likely to be changed. That comes from a well placed and positively biased source. As far as doing a low rise project, Sandhu may be looking to recoup costs at this point and building anything less likely results in a loss that will just grow. They may be more apt to sell, get some people paid, and lock in a loss.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 5:40 PM

Quote:
project has been scaled way back.
Quote:
Can you elaborate on this comment? As of yesterday work continues on the site.
Quote:
I can't tell you what the project will eventually look like, only that the form was likely to be changed. That comes from a well placed and positively (un-non?) biased source.
I appreciate the reply on what may happen.

Let's hope the project continues in one form or another.

Added the Un-Non? to your quote, I assume this was what you meant

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 5:55 PM

Quote:
I appreciate the reply on what may happen.

Let's hope the project continues in one form or another.

Added the Un-Non? to your quote, I assume this was what you meant
I meant that the source has incentive to positively spin the impact of any news coming out. That they've admitted these issues is telling, but probably doesn't substantiate the true nature of the existing problems.

In other words, it's likely worse than being conveyed and seeking equity from other well-capitalized homebuilders means there's a financial weakness in here that's not as easy to remediate as a set of plans might be.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 5:58 PM

Quote:
I meant that the source has incentive to positively spin the impact of any news coming out. That they've admitted these issues is telling, but probably doesn't substantiate the true nature of the existing problems.

In other words, it's likely worse than being conveyed and seeking equity from other well-capitalized homebuilders means there's a financial weakness in here that's not as easy to remediate as a set of plans might be.
Thanks for your clarification.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 6:16 PM
What could go wrong?

The first architect finished the design. I don't know how common it is for a new architect to assume the same design but this is what is happening. As of now I don't believe there is any change in the completed design but I guess that is what Mistecture will determine. For the record, Verne Reimer will still have "Designed" the building. Mistecture will just become the Architect of Record.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The first architect finished the design. I don't know how common it is for a new architect to assume the same design but this is what is happening. As of now I don't believe there is any change in the completed design but I guess that is what Mistecture will determine. For the record, Verne Reimer will still have "Designed" the building. Mistecture will just become the Architect of Record.
For the record, I'm passing along information that is being relayed to me through people I know. I don't have any personal relationship with the developer to confirm, but these are strange steps for a developer to be taking if there isn't any hardship.

Specifically, why on earth would you have a different architect of record from the designer if you're working with their design? I mean, outside of cost, this is a strange step to take. And why would an architect assume the liability for somebody else's design when the other somebody doesn't really have an high-rise experience either? It's definitely unconventional.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 6:46 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
For the record, I'm passing along information that is being relayed to me through people I know. I don't have any personal relationship with the developer to confirm, but these are strange steps for a developer to be taking if there isn't any hardship.

Specifically, why on earth would you have a different architect of record from the designer if you're working with their design? I mean, outside of cost, this is a strange step to take. And why would an architect assume the liability for somebody else's design when the other somebody doesn't really have an high-rise experience either? It's definitely unconventional.
I agree with you. Very strange.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
So why would the architect be dropped like that? Unless they're incompetent, how could an architect scuttle a project like this? Unless there's a pissing match going on.
Verne is a very good and experienced architect.
One would have to assume he was not being paid by his client...
No money... No honey...

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 9:52 PM

Yeah no doubt. For some reason I was fixed on him being fired.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 3:11 AM

Could this be like the Sage Creek fire hall where the original architect from Ontario took sick and a replacement company had to take over?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 3:25 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Could this be like the Sage Creek fire hall where the original architect from Ontario took sick and a replacement company had to take over?
Based on the way this project is going, it would surprise me if it was anything other than the consultant not getting paid.

Pretty juicy project for an architect to walk away from.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 2:12 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Verne Reimer is fine.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Verne Reimer is fine.
This is my suspicion too. He is a well-regarded architect with a ton of project experience. And while it's not uncommon for a consultant to go months without getting paid - even if it's distasteful - it happens all the time. But a guy with that sort of experience would generally eat the months of non-payment in exchange for the large paycheque on the horizon. It would more likely seem that horizon was either never coming or becoming less and less likely to that the relationship was ended so payment could be collected.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 7:16 PM

Anyone pass by the site? Crews still working or have they shut it down?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 7:26 PM
What could go wrong?

Even though it seems like doom and gloom I was by the site an hour ago and there are two tower crane bases installed now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan