HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 4:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
3 years from now there will be a proper interchange there again.
I think the real question is: what KIND of interchange will be built at this location?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 4:37 AM

Guess we'll know once the grading starts this year.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 9:08 PM

Again? There was one before? Perhaps a cloverleaf that couldn't handle the high-volumes of traffic "turning left" onto highway 59?

Would love to see it get started, and I hope the Province's fiscal problems don't delay it any further.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Again? There was one before? Perhaps a cloverleaf that couldn't handle the high-volumes of traffic "turning left" onto highway 59?
Before the eastern part of the Perimieter was built, when the Perimeter stopped at Highway 59, the bridge over 59 was used for:

- Eastbound Perimeter traffic turning north onto 59 (like it is now)
- Northbound 59 traffic turning west onto Perimeter (this isn't used anymore)

There were no light controlled intersections.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 10:52 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Would love to see it get started, and I hope the Province's fiscal problems don't delay it any further.
I don't see that happening. At $590M, this year's highways budget is the largest ever.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 11:17 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

that explanes the hudge deficit... o well this is an investment in our future that could esayly turn into more tax money down the road so realy sometimes u need to run some red to make some money hopefully this gamble pays off for our province

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 4:14 PM

Thanks for the history info - that makes complete sense.
I guess now we wait and see how the construction season unfolds!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2010, 4:17 AM
BANNED

Does anyone know where to find a diagram of the future interchange at the Yellowhead and Trans-Canada Highways west of Portage La Prairie? I heard it's going to be rather complex.

Looking forward to seeing this happen

Thanks!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2010, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
Does anyone know where to find a diagram of the future interchange at the Yellowhead and Trans-Canada Highways west of Portage La Prairie? I heard it's going to be rather complex.
A little Googling found this.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2010, 4:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
A little Googling found this.
Thanks, however I'm rather dissapointed in the concepts. I was told this would be a rather "complex" interchange, but it rather looks like another cloverleaf smash-n-crash interchanges. Great that it's happening, but the design is a let down.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2010, 5:14 AM

Old Posted Jun 20, 2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
Thanks, however I'm rather dissapointed in the concepts. I was told this would be a rather "complex" interchange, but it rather looks like another cloverleaf smash-n-crash interchanges. Great that it's happening, but the design is a let down.
I would have made it a Parclo-A4 to reduce weaving with a channelized lane from MB-16 to MB-1 EB (in to avoid an at-grade crossing that would be required on MB-16). A separate interchange for MB-305 might be ideal, but then there would be three rather closely spaced interchanges for a rural area.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 10:39 AM
Youth of a Nation

Trans-Canada Highway (Highway 1) and Yellowhead Highway (Highway 16) Interchange Project

Description: This project involves the construction of a new interchange at the intersection of the Trans-Canada Highway (Highway 1) and Yellowhead Highway (Highway 16). It also includes the grade separation of the existing Yellowhead Highway and Canadian National Railway Mainline at-grade crossing. This project is expected to increase safety and reduce travel times for vehicles traveling through these currently at-grade intersections.

Total Investment: $96.5 million. Canada will contribute $21 million under the Gateways and Border Crossings Fund, and Manitoba will provide $75.5 million.

Timing: Construction is anticipated to begin in 2012 and end in early 2015.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 1:47 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
Trans-Canada Highway (Highway 1) and Yellowhead Highway (Highway 16) Interchange Project

Description: This project involves the construction of a new interchange at the intersection of the Trans-Canada Highway (Highway 1) and Yellowhead Highway (Highway 16). It also includes the grade separation of the existing Yellowhead Highway and Canadian National Railway Mainline at-grade crossing. This project is expected to increase safety and reduce travel times for vehicles traveling through these currently at-grade intersections.

Total Investment: $96.5 million. Canada will contribute $21 million under the Gateways and Border Crossings Fund, and Manitoba will provide $75.5 million.

Timing: Construction is anticipated to begin in 2012 and end in early 2015.
Good grief , that sure seems mighty expensive for what looks like a fairly basic couple of grade separations .

Old Posted Jul 6, 2010, 1:59 PM

No movement of any kind at the PTH101 / 59 interchange site yet... would love to see some grading work started soon...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2010, 3:28 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
No movement of any kind at the PTH101 / 59 interchange site yet... would love to see some grading work started soon...
The RFQ for design firms for Functional Design closes tomorrow. Detailed design should be in spring 2011.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 6, 2010, 4:38 PM

Thanks for the update.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2010, 4:57 PM

Is it just me thinking this or do these interchanges cost about 10x more than they did 15 years ago and take twice as long to build? The Lewvan-Trans Canada interchange in Regina started construction last summer and will not be done before Oct. 2011 (at the earliest):

Old Posted Jul 6, 2010, 6:08 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ I have thought the same thing too. I know there is a lot of earth moving involved, but sheesh.......it does take a long time to pour some piles, slap some precast girders on them, and pave the roadways and deck (overly simplified version of "How it's Built" i know).
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 6, 2010, 6:40 PM

I think it may also be that preloading and grading are given lots of time to settle so that things aren't rushed, and cracks and heaves don't develop (as easily) in the final product.

Either that, or we just don't 'build em like we used to.'

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan