HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 1:25 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

radissan could use some care and maintunce like the black tar coating to protect it from the somersest exaust.....

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 2:28 AM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Ha ha. My favourite tower in Winnipeg!

Canad has done no planning for a mega project. That number is an order of magnitude larger than anything they have ever done.
Haha, what a shock eh? I would have legit been more shocked if you said they have done anything at all...

When I first read the article with their """"""proposal"""""" you could just tell from their tone that it was nothing more then pushing the city away from making them maintain a building for once. They're too cheap to remove the current sign and put a real CanadInns sign on their downtown hotel tower, but suddenly they have hundreds of millions to pump into it?

If any significant progress/development, lets say in the range of $150 million and not yet another scummy club with frequent stabbings, is done to anything they own in the next decade I will clutch my pearls and drop my monocle.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
Haha, what a shock eh? I would have legit been more shocked if you said they have done anything at all...

When I first read the article with their """"""proposal"""""" you could just tell from their tone that it was nothing more then pushing the city away from making them maintain a building for once. They're too cheap to remove the current sign and put a real CanadInns sign on their downtown hotel tower, but suddenly they have hundreds of millions to pump into it?

If any significant progress/development, lets say in the range of $150 million and not yet another scummy club with frequent stabbings, is done to anything they own in the next decade I will clutch my pearls and drop my monocle.
They also seem to be very liberal about the $150 million. It includes the cost of buying the Somerset building a couple years ago and likely eats a lot of that amount. At best I would offer them an extension on the decision for maybe 6 months to allow them to prove they were serious about the upgrades. 6 months should be very generous even considering the pandemic. They would also be required to provide documentation as to how the heritage status would increase the costs or prevent their "planned" upgrades. If after the 6 months they have not spent a percentage, as determined by council, of that $150 million then I would move ahead with the designation.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 4:37 PM
What could go wrong?

Found this little nugget on Verne Reimer's web page. It looks like it is a conceptual plan, I would think not active, but I had never seen it before. He has other interesting towers on his site like their submittal for the True North Square proposal and the proposed hotel massing that would have demolished the Fortune and Winnipeg Hotel block

http://www.vernereimer.com/our-work/.../cloud-condos/

Garry Street Hospitality and Business Centre - Cloud Condo's
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 4:45 PM

Even a building half that size would be amazing there.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 5:46 PM

Are we sure that proposal hasn't surfaced before? It looks vaguely familiar.

Incidentally, years ago, back before the MTS Centre was built I sketched out an awesome new downtown arena running E-W along Graham on that site... Garry south of Portage would have been blocked off at around the Garrick Hotel and the main entrance would have been right there. Unfortunately teenage me was unable to find a developer to build it.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 6:34 PM

That would have been awesome, would certainly have allowed for some bigger concourses since Garry isn't really an essential through street like Donald.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 6:40 PM
BANNED

^ I posted that photo a few years ago. I believe this was actually connected to the Time Changed/Pollard re-development somehow? I think a developer was looking for a site, this was one proposal, then the Times Changed, but then it fell through I guess.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
^ I posted that photo a few years ago. I believe this was actually connected to the Time Changed/Pollard re-development somehow? I think a developer was looking for a site, this was one proposal, then the Times Changed, but then it fell through I guess.
Thanks... glad to know I'm not losing my mind. I had serious deja vu when I saw that.

I don't remember the Times Changed connection, though... the rendering certainly shows a project that was much more ambitious than what I remember for the Main Street site. Too bad it fell through.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 1:40 PM
What could go wrong?

http://www.vernereimer.com/our-work/...4-main-street/

That was a mystery project where one of the potential buyers (not Pollard) said they had a Hotel chain lined up and the only way to make it work was to demolish the Winnipeg Hotel and the Fortune Block. Fortunately Pollard stepped in and made the Fortune Block an absolute gem in downtown......apparently, the former potential buyer then bought the Jacob-Crawley Building at 138 Portage for the new hotel (Hyatt). Slow moving project, subsequent fire and likely cancelled now. Not saying it would have happened, but it would have been a real shame if the 138 Portage buyer had torn down the Fortune Building and then failed to complete the project.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 1:44 PM

^ Now that one I don't ever remember seeing before, although I certainly remember hearing about it. But yes, it would have been a tragedy to level those buildings on Main to make way for a building that probably wouldn't have materialized if the Portage Ave. E. project that replaced it is any indication.

Looking at that picture, I'd say the hotel is bigger than what I would have expected. I was anticipating something more on the scale of the Humphry Inn nearby.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 2:10 PM

Weird that would have "had to" have torn down the Fortune considering the render just shows another small new building there. Was the project that inspired "Culture Not Condos" a different one, since this is a hotel?

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 2:29 PM

The more I look at that hotel model the more I think it would have been awesome... a nice, new and somewhat tall hotel would have really refreshed that stretch of south Main. I think I might have even taken it over the Fortune Block. But the apparent failure of the Portage Ave. E. project leads me to believe that it never would have happened.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 2:49 PM

I think in the next few years either 416 Main or South Main will have enough desire/need for a hotel to set up there, especially with Railside developing. That or just replacing the Humphry with a better banner haha.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 4:33 PM

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the Earl's land after the move to 300 Main. Seems like it would be prime real-estate, regardless of the railway proximity.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 9:00 PM

I passed through La Salle today for the first time in over a decade... I was surprised to see the new Tank Traders building right on the main drag. It looked either newly finished or close to it, but either way it's an impressive 3 storey building built right up to the street. It's nice but still weird to see such an urban design in a small town. I guess the propane business must be booming!?

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 12:24 AM

Had to drop something off in 242 Hargrave today. It’s funny the first time I was there I thought these new digital select-a-floor elevator touchscreens added unnecessary tech bound to fail... they seem even more dumb in light of COVID. Can’t just get in the elevator and use your elbow or something else to hit a button, every single person that enters the building has to touch that screen. Yikes.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Had to drop something off in 242 Hargrave today. It’s funny the first time I was there I thought these new digital select-a-floor elevator touchscreens added unnecessary tech bound to fail... they seem even more dumb in light of COVID. Can’t just get in the elevator and use your elbow or something else to hit a button, every single person that enters the building has to touch that screen. Yikes.
There are hand sanitizers by every touch panel.

They're not great, especially for folks not used to them. You'll see people get on an elevator not knowing that they had to select a floor at the panel so they end up going for a ride to wherever it's going.

At least they've changed the interface. For almost two years we had a garbage interface that failed to read your selection waaay too many times. Almost punched the panels several times from frustration!

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 3:55 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I think in the next few years either 416 Main or South Main will have enough desire/need for a hotel to set up there, especially with Railside developing. That or just replacing the Humphry with a better banner haha.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
2nd question on Panet Rd developments is has anybody heard anything about any development on the old Cambrian Equipment site at 494 Panet Rd?

The elderly owner passed away at the beginning of January 2020 and I see that most of the inventory has been removed. It looks strange to drive by there and see empty spaces instead of a sea of used heavy equipment.
I'm not sure of any plans. But wow it looks different! Hoping it's not a big box or something like that. But sure is nice to see that eyesore being cleaned up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan