HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 4:27 PM

I saw owner of Hollows and Primal interviewed the other day on Global morning show. She talked about how successful their "grocery order" sideline has been. She discussed as a restaurateur that focuses on locally sourced product, they are able to by in bulk from their suppliers and as such, can provide locally sourced items through their new "grocery" order business. She mentioned things like flour, eggs, etc and said the response to that has been fantastic.

Interesting how the very creative people are finding new ways to not only serve their needs but the needs of the community.

It is really too bad about The Hollows, but maybe down the road they will introduce another new concept to dining in Saskatoon.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I saw owner of Hollows and Primal interviewed the other day on Global morning show. She talked about how successful their "grocery order" sideline has been. She discussed as a restaurateur that focuses on locally sourced product, they are able to by in bulk from their suppliers and as such, can provide locally sourced items through their new "grocery" order business. She mentioned things like flour, eggs, etc and said the response to that has been fantastic.

Interesting how the very creative people are finding new ways to not only serve their needs but the needs of the community.

It is really too bad about The Hollows, but maybe down the road they will introduce another new concept to dining in Saskatoon.
There is no doubt that the coronavirus has been tough on small businesses and many sectors of the economy. One small silver lining, is that businesses and the public sector have been forced into innovation. It would be ideal if some of these innovations persevere post-coronavirus, broadening the spectrum of ways that goods and services can be delivered.

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 10:56 PM

Another long-time Saskatoon fixture is going away. Last of the old-time small town hardware stores from back in the day prior to Home Depot and Rona.

Quote:
Mayfair Hardware closing after more than 70 years in business
https://www.ckom.com/2020/05/04/mayf...s-in-business/

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 10:55 PM
Registered Geek

I just heard that the Keg on 8th Street is closing permanently. Any truth to that? Is the lot in front, where the old 7-11 stood, part of that parcel of land?
https://www.reddit.com/r/saskatoon/c...treet_closing/

Last edited by TheCricket; May 15, 2020 at 11:05 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 4:28 AM

Very surprised to hear that. Never been to the 8th street location without seeing a full lounge and people waiting to be seated.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCricket View Post
I just heard that the Keg on 8th Street is closing permanently. Any truth to that? Is the lot in front, where the old 7-11 stood, part of that parcel of land?
https://www.reddit.com/r/saskatoon/c...treet_closing/
From what I've heard (I used to work there), they had planned on doing extensive renovations to that location to bring it up to par with the new one in Brighton but the Brighton location hasn't been doing as well as they hoped + COVID drove the nails into the coffin.

I'm not sure why they decided to go with Brighton to begin with with the 2nd location. Downtown would have probably done better, but what do I know...

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 5:07 PM

The Capitol has setup a Go Fund Me for support during this time. HERE

I hope all these small businesses/restaurants/clubs will be able to make it out on the other side of all this.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 10:22 PM

Mountain Equipment Co-op still plans to open in Saskatoon, but not until next year
Member-owned co-op is slowly reopening its 22 existing stores across the country

CBC News · Posted: May 23, 2020 2:11 PM CT | Last Updated: 2 hours ago

Quote:
Mountain Equipment Co-op says it still plans to open its Saskatoon store in Midtown Plaza, but not until late 2021.

The proposed 20,000-foot store, first announced in late 2018, was to have been completed this year.

MEC, a well-known outdoors outfitter, reported an $11.5-million net loss on $462.4 million in sales in 2018-19, and its retail locations across Canada were temporarily shuttered earlier this year because of the pandemic.

Those 22 stores are now slowly starting to reopen on a limited basis across the country, though, and the planned Saskatoon store will go ahead, the co-op said.

"We will continue to follow the advice and guidance of local health authorities as we move forward in confirming a design partner and begin developing a compelling concept for our Saskatoon MEC location," the company said in a statement Friday.

Other stores in Midtown Plaza began reopening this week.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ning-1.5582165

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 9:13 PM

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
I saw that story and was curious where they will be located. Hooters are typically 5,000+ sq ft and I haven’t noticed any new buildings that would be suitable - unless they are taking over an existing restaurant or going out to the burbs and the building is yet to be built.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino35 View Post
I saw that story and was curious where they will be located. Hooters are typically 5,000+ sq ft and I haven’t noticed any new buildings that would be suitable - unless they are taking over an existing restaurant or going out to the burbs and the building is yet to be built.
I heard they were going in the old Baileys location on 8th street, across from London Drugs. Don't quote me on that though.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 9:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
I like boobs and all but is there really an appetite for more shitty chain restaurants in Sask?

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
I like boobs and all but is there really an appetite for more shitty chain restaurants in Sask?
I guess we'll find out. The excitement for these chains coming to town does seem way over the top to me.

On a related note, I'd been saying for 20+ years that the building currently occupied by Birmingham's in River City Mall on Circle would have been a great location for a Hooters. Instead, we had Pasta La Vista, Armadillo's and the Wooden Barrel before it was relagated to office duty for FCC for a few years. Nice to see that Birmingham's seems to be doing well there.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 10:14 PM

If the rumour that Jim Tomas is behind this franchise is true, that tells me all I need to know. Gross.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 9:59 PM

Doesn’t look like the 2nd Avenue Grill will be reopening. There is a “For Lease” sign on their front door. Not that I was a big fan, but hate to see the city lose a long time restaurant.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 1:31 PM

Hey guys, can you tell me of the 3 local Wal-Mart Supercentres in Saskatoon which was the first to open and which is the newest to open.

And was there an early Wal-Mart (maybe a former Woolco store) that is no longer operating in its original location?
thank you for the assistance!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hired_goons View Post
Hey guys, can you tell me of the 3 local Wal-Mart Supercentres in Saskatoon which was the first to open and which is the newest to open.

And was there an early Wal-Mart (maybe a former Woolco store) that is no longer operating in its original location?
I think the first was one on 8th street, which became target, which is now ardenes? haha

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 1:54 PM

Yup, that old 8th street store was once a Woolco back in the day. Not sure if it was ever a K-mart but there was a K-mart in Market Mall back in the 80s.

Edit: Pretty sure I'm wrong about the Circle Centre store being a K-Mart, but it was a Zellers before it briefly became a Target store.

Last edited by Crisis; Jun 27, 2020 at 5:27 PM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 7:57 PM
Registered Geek

I just heard a rumour that Original Joe's on 8th Street was set to move into the new Scotiabank building next door to its present location and apparently rent is double so they said, no thanks! The old building is set to be demolished. They are apparently closing up shop this weekend. Another one bites the dust!!
The old Keg location on 8th is also going to meet the wrecking ball sooner than later to be flattened for a parking lot.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hired_goons View Post

Based on my fuzzy memory the oldest is the one at Preston Crossing. It’s gone through a few expansions since it opened. The next oldest is 22nd St West. It used to be located in Confed Mall where Canadian Tire is now before moving to its current location. The newest is the location in Stonebridge.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan