HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 7:58 PM

We're still going strong on numerous projects for the railways and the City of Winnipeg said they're going ahead full steam with roadworks.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
We're still going strong on numerous projects for the railways and the City of Winnipeg said they're going ahead full steam with roadworks.
Highways jobs are full steam ahead in MB also. PTHs 75 and 1 east with large resurfacing projects ($10-20m each).

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 4:28 PM

New interchange coming to St. Mary's Road and the South perimeter.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/manitoba...hway-1.5004249

Construction is expected to start by 2021.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 4:30 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I hope M.I.T. remembers to leave extra space for a 3rd lane each direction.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 4:42 PM

They will. The plan that has been drawn up is actually done very well to proper highway standards. Ultimate plan is 6 lane main line with small sections of 8 lane.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 4:47 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

That’s good. Now, in the future, for Perimeter Highway at Fermor Avenue - TCH, I hope M.I.T. puts in a flyover instead of a bigger loop from TCH west to PTH 100 west, as we discussed before.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 4:58 PM

Agreed on #1 interchange.

Some of the design choices, such as Pembina and at Portage. The reason for changing for a cloverleaf to a diamond, is to utilize the existing 3 lanes bridges. Right now the 3rd lane on the bridge is used for merging. Taking that off the bridge down to the cross road via the diamond, opens up the bridge to be all through lanes. Thus not requiring a rebuild, widening or whatever.

The rest of the bridges, such as the recently reconstructed bridge at Roblin, account for ultimate design of 6 lanes.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 5:00 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Fair point, because partial cloverleaves will have required a 4th lane.
Wow. all of a sudden, M.I.T. knows how to build freeways now.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Fair point, because partial cloverleaves will have required a 4th lane.
Wow. all of a sudden, M.I.T. knows how to build freeways now.
Maybe they've been reading your posts

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 5:27 PM

It's a hard thing to describe. There have always been smart people there, engineers, who know how things are supposed to be done. But when you have zero funding to do any of it, there's really no need to plan for it. Right of way has been there for most of this stuff since the beginning, when it was originally planned.

Finally now, they have completed a proper study with a fully functioning proper freeway.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 5:28 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Maybe they've been reading your posts
I’m flattered. Well I only learn from the best - M.T.O. You see? Even for ON-17 among rocks and lakes, M.T.O. insists that EB lanes be built anew instead of just widened from the current roadway.

Speaking of that, I think the same can still be done for PTH-1 from Falcon to Whiteshell. In fact, I’ve always thought that the weight scale by Whiteshell is an indication of such (i.e. building a set of lanes anew instead of direct widening and putting in a barrier).

At the end of the day, though, it really comes down to how cheap M.I.T. can get. Worst case scenario, if it’s still going to do something, there’s always the option of undivided but control-accessed 4 lanes with rumble strips between the yellow lines.* They’re good for alerting wayward drivers. ON-17 has lots of those between K Town and Vermillion Bay now. I’m not sure if they work in the snow though...

* Disclaimer: This is from B.C.M.I.T., not M.T.O.

Last edited by Dengler Avenue; Jun 29, 2020 at 5:43 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 5:39 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:

Some of the design choices, such as Pembina and at Portage. The reason for changing for a cloverleaf to a diamond, is to utilize the existing 3 lanes bridges. Right now the 3rd lane on the bridge is used for merging. Taking that off the bridge down to the cross road via the diamond, opens up the bridge to be all through lanes. Thus not requiring a rebuild, widening or whatever.

The rest of the bridges, such as the recently reconstructed bridge at Roblin, account for ultimate design of 6 lanes.
This is one thing that has always frustrated me with the way we have built and plan to build interchanges. In my view, you should only use major, free flowing interchanges (system or cloverleaf) on highway to highway intersections. I disagree with the free flowing interchanges at Main St, Portage Ave, Roblin and Pembina. There is no need to keep those streets free flowing at the Perimeter.

Main, Portage, Roblin and Pembina can all utilize signalized diamond (cheaper) interchanges, keeping the Perimeter free flowing.

Going forward I feel that Oak Bluff, St Mary's and St Anne's should all be diamond type interchanges and Kenaston should get the full Systems style interchange. Lagoimodiere south and the Perimiter should be reconfigured to a Systems style as well.

Just my two cents.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 5:43 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Interesting take on Oak Bluff. If M.I.T.’s serious about twinning PTH-3 though, a partial system interchange can be set up there too. I agree that PTH-100 and PTH-59 only need to be partial system too. For PTH-100 and realigned PTH-75, 4-stack interchange, anyone?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
This is one thing that has always frustrated me with the way we have built and plan to build interchanges. In my view, you should only use major, free flowing interchanges (system or cloverleaf) on highway to highway intersections. I disagree with the free flowing interchanges at Main St, Portage Ave, Roblin and Pembina. There is no need to keep those streets free flowing at the Perimeter.

Main, Portage, Roblin and Pembina can all utilize signalized diamond (cheaper) interchanges, keeping the Perimeter free flowing.

Going forward I feel that Oak Bluff, St Mary's and St Anne's should all be diamond type interchanges and Kenaston should get the full Systems style interchange. Lagoimodiere south and the Perimiter should be reconfigured to a Systems style as well.

Just my two cents.
Agreed there as well. And I think that's what happening in the new plan, pretty much. Systems interchanges will be at #1E, 59S, Kenaston, CCW. The major regional highways. The rest are diamonds, or form there of, and some parclos.

And looking back at the plans. Pembina is now a full rebuild and not reuse of exsiting bridges. They're changing it from 100 over to pembina over.

Another point regarding #1E. I suspect the rail over pass proximity is why they didn't do with a directional ramp for the #1E to 100S route. Just the larger loop.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 7:11 PM
Back from the dead

Yeah but the problem for us is that the province can never stick to the plans it makes.

"Let's build a dual-carriageway highway going north south on the east side of Winnipeg. We'll call it part of some major continental trade corridor."

"Great idea!"

"Yeah....free flowing and everything. Now, let's take a look at the first grade separation. Hmmm...looks like we could put in some at-grade crossings right there. In fact, let's half-ass the whole thing and for no apparent reason see if we can make it so that everybody has to stop somewhere within a kilometer or less of that interchange."

I'm not saying that that's even remotely accurate or anything, just as an example of the way the politicians can find a way to mess up the plans of the engineers.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Agreed there as well. And I think that's what happening in the new plan, pretty much. Systems interchanges will be at #1E, 59S, Kenaston, CCW. The major regional highways. The rest are diamonds, or form there of, and some parclos.

And looking back at the plans. Pembina is now a full rebuild and not reuse of exsiting bridges. They're changing it from 100 over to pembina over.

Another point regarding #1E. I suspect the rail over pass proximity is why they didn't do with a directional ramp for the #1E to 100S route. Just the larger loop.
Yea if they follow the study designs then only major highways will be free flow for both roadways.

Regarding the pembina reconfiguration, do you think thats a graph design error? I find it hard to believe that they could manage having pembina go over 100 so close to perimeter having to go over the railroad. That would also mean demolishing the existing bridges that can already accommodate 6 lanes of traffic and also have been rehabbed in the last 10 years

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 7:35 PM

That's awesome news! That part of the perimeter is super busy as well, and has probably the worst free flowing infrastructure relative to how busy it is in the region

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Regarding the pembina reconfiguration, do you think thats a graph design error? I find it hard to believe that they could manage having pembina go over 100 so close to perimeter having to go over the railroad. That would also mean demolishing the existing bridges that can already accommodate 6 lanes of traffic and also have been rehabbed in the last 10 years
Potentially. But after all that effort, you'd think they would get the most important part correct. haha

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric19 View Post
New interchange coming to St. Mary's Road and the South perimeter.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/manitoba...hway-1.5004249

Construction is expected to start by 2021.
Is that article stating that MB is spending an extra $500 million on infrastructure to help kickstart the economy? If that's the case why such a small amount of money?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 9:06 PM

Probably one of the worst infrastructure for how busy it is in the world never mind the region !! Lol Should have been free flowing from the beginning can’t believe all these years have passed with it not all interchanges , kinda embarrassing on all government parts over the years .One interchange every 5-10 years would have had it done long time ago .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan