HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 1:04 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
At what point does development in Aylmer/Plateau become untenable? Right now, on a bad day, it takes 90 minutes to cross the bridge in the morning/afternoon. Where is the threshold?
Guy, I hear you. I am actively avoiding Allumettieres and Vanier at ALL times.. it is a perpetual clusterfuck. Early Sunday morning? Forget it. 3 am on a tuesday? good luck.

I don't even know how they can fix this now. Trench the 148 below Vanier like Autoroute 20 in the west island of Montreal? Nope. Best we will get is a god damn roundabout.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Guy, I hear you. I am actively avoiding Allumettieres and Vanier at ALL times.. it is a perpetual clusterfuck. Early Sunday morning? Forget it. 3 am on a tuesday? good luck.

I don't even know how they can fix this now. Trench the 148 below Vanier like Autoroute 20 in the west island of Montreal? Nope. Best we will get is a god damn roundabout.
Sundays can ironically be the worst. Bridge Time can be over an hour in the morning and afternoon. I'm glad the spandex people have two road lanes instead of lining up on a world class bikeway on their Sunday commute to nowhere, though.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 1:01 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I can't believe the traffic is this bad all over when so many public servants are still working from home - three days a week for most of them.

I get that a lot of offices pick common days at work which tends to include Wednesday and then either Tuesday or Thursday.

But still, even on those days a significant amount of office workers who would have commuted to work prior to March 13, 2020 are going to be staying home.

And yet our transportation network even with (apparent? assumed?) lighter demand seems as overloaded as ever.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 1:04 PM

Quote:
I can't get over the fact that they are building 60 car-centric residential floors on my street in this development, and they are about to launch a whole new neighbourhood to boot.

At what point does development in Aylmer/Plateau become untenable? Right now, on a bad day, it takes 90 minutes to cross the bridge in the morning/afternoon. Where is the threshold?
I completely agree that things need to happen, the bridges are a mess, the public transportation is a mess, the infrastructure in general is a mess, Gatineau makes decisions that are absolutely wrong 10 times before they make a passable one, and it took 20 years to get a decision on something in the first place.. it's really bad.

But let's not start to say things like it takes 90 minutes on a bad day. I'm in Plateau and on a bad day (other than a snow storm which is different) it takes me max 40 minutes to get downtown Ottawa. (i guess you have to look at the roads you take to go to Ottawa)

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawaspotlight View Post
I completely agree that things need to happen, the bridges are a mess, the public transportation is a mess, the infrastructure in general is a mess, Gatineau makes decisions that are absolutely wrong 10 times before they make a passable one, and it took 20 years to get a decision on something in the first place.. it's really bad.

But let's not start to say things like it takes 90 minutes on a bad day. I'm in Plateau and on a bad day (other than a snow storm which is different) it takes me max 40 minutes to get downtown Ottawa. (i guess you have to look at the roads you take to go to Ottawa)
My commute on three days a week I drop my daughter off just east of downtown regularly takes 55-65 minutes. It has been 90 minutes more times than I can count because of accidents or just random slow days, not just weather.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 1:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
My commute on three days a week I drop my daughter off just east of downtown regularly takes 55-65 minutes. It has been 90 minutes more times than I can count because of accidents or just random slow days, not just weather.
OK but you said it takes 90 minutes to cross the bridge. If it takes 90 minutes to drive to the bridge from your house, cross the bridge itself, and then cross part of Ottawa to get to where you're going... that's more believable.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
OK but you said it takes 90 minutes to cross the bridge. If it takes 90 minutes to drive to the bridge from your house, cross the bridge itself, and then cross part of Ottawa to get to where you're going... that's more believable.
Where I need to get to just East of dowtown is only 7 minutes from the Macdonald Cartier bridge outside of rush hour, so I might have thoughtlessly embellished my commute, but not by much!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 2:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Where I need to get to just East of dowtown is only 7 minutes from the Macdonald Cartier bridge outside of rush hour, so I might have thoughtlessly embellished my commute, but not by much!
OK I do believe you that on a really bad traffic day it can take you 90 minutes to get from Allumettières and Klock (let's say) to Beechwood and Vanier Parkway (assuming again).

That can happen I know.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 1:41 AM
Mooderator

I know this thread is about Le Zen (ugh).. but what is zen about living on a pseudo-highway that gets jammed 1 km from home. Minutes from Ottawa.. sure minutes can be extended into the thousands if you want.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 8:11 PM

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 6:46 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
That's good progress:

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs