HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 3:29 PM

Gatineau octroie le contrat pour la construction de la bibliothèque Lucy-Faris

Par Mathieu Bélanger, Le Droit
24 mai 2023

La Ville de Gatineau a choisi la firme Pomerleau pour construire le futur édifice signature du Vieux-Aylmer, la bibliothèque Lucy-Faris.

Ce n’est pas tous les jours qu’une ville octroie un contrat de 42 millions de dollars pour construire une nouvelle bibliothèque ressource. Les travaux doivent débuter au courant de l’année. Le trou béant laissé par la démolition de Place des Pionniers, sur la rue Principale, reprendra donc vie, peu à peu. Les Gatinois devraient pouvoir entrer dans leur nouvelle bibliothèque à l’automne 2025.

Deux ans se sont écoulés depuis que le lauréat du concours d’architecture organisé pour la bibliothèque a été dévoilé. En mai 2021, un jury a choisi le projet présenté par la firme IN SITU + DMA, réalisé en collaboration avec CIVILITI et EXP. L’immeuble prévoit un toit vert permettant un peu d’agriculture urbaine. Un escalier architectural devant se déployer à travers une grande percée à partir de l’aire d’accueil, jusqu’à un espace panoramique, devrait rapidement caractériser l’endroit pour les Gatinois.

Le conseiller du quartier, Steven Boivin, est convaincu que la nouvelle bibliothèque ne tardera pas à devenir un lieu de rencontres et d’échanges, ainsi qu’un «élément de fierté pour les gens du secteur». Il y voit aussi une occasion pour Gatineau de continuer à innover en matière de service de bibliothèque.

«Nos travailleurs dans les bibliothèques sont au fait des nouvelles tendances, ils sont à l’écoute, dit-il. Je suis un utilisateur de la bibliothèque avec mon jeune fils et je constate ce genre de changement. Une nouvelle bibliothèque sera une belle occasion pour continuer de moderniser nos façons de faire.»

Le nouvel édifice comprendra aussi le centre de service du secteur Aylmer, un élément qui a échappé à la mémoire du président du comité exécutif, Daniel Champagne, lors de l’annonce de l’octroi du contrat, mercredi. La partie bibliothèque du projet est évaluée à 25,7 millions de dollars, mais la facture totale incluant la démolition et le centre de service de Place des Pionniers frisera les 50 millions de dollars.

https://www.ledroit.com/actualites/a...DNDO4V55IGAUE/

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 12:38 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Les travaux doivent débuter au courant de l’année. Le trou béant laissé par la démolition de Place des Pionniers, sur la rue Principale, reprendra donc vie, peu à peu. Les Gatinois devraient pouvoir entrer dans leur nouvelle bibliothèque à l’automne 2025.
C'est tellement long. J'ai hâte que ce trou va disparaître..

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 12:31 PM

Better looking than the Ottawa library!

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 5:18 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by movebyleap View Post
Better looking than the Ottawa library!
Same style. I think this is standard for libraries now or something.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 10:19 PM

FINALLY!!!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 1:21 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

I drove through there on the weekend. That hoarding along Principale is going to get someone killed who's trying to come off of Rue Court (the street alongside the construction trailer).

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 3:08 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
I drove through there on the weekend. That hoarding along Principale is going to get someone killed who's trying to come off of Rue Court (the street alongside the construction trailer).
They should just close off that part of Court completely. It is a bad setup.

Also, this would be a killer view of downtown if they built a 25 storey library

Old Posted Oct 10, 2023, 6:19 PM
Mooderator

Crane is up now.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2023, 3:22 PM
Mooderator

17 oct 2023

Street is blocked between Park and Court.

[/url]

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 4:02 PM
Mooderator

5 dec 2023

Lots of activity this morning.

A few weeks ago they replaced the blue city signs with these ones along rue Principale. Each one has a little origin story blurb underneath the name. Kind of neat.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 8:12 PM

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 6:46 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
That's good progress:

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 1:30 PM

Constance Provost: la Ville rend hommage à une figure politique importante
TVA Gatineau | 24 avril 2024

https://tvagatineau.ca/constance-pro...ue-importante/

So the former Aylmer Mayor who was in office when the poorly built Place des Pionniers was built in the 80s will have the replacement building named after her. Kind of ironic.

Also, Lucy-Faris will fade from the landscape.

Quote:
Lucy Faris was born in Aylmer in 1855 to one of the first families to settle in the village. Her father, John Faris, was probably a farmer; her mother was called Mary Benedict. They had eleven children.

From a young age, Lucy enjoyed reading, listening to music, playing games, embroidery, crocheting, drawing, and so on. She had a lifelong dream of creating an educational and cultural facility for the good of all Aylmer residents, large and small, so they would have the chance to learn and play.

This benefactress, who lived her entire life in Aylmer, made her mark upon her death in 1924 by bequeathing the assets of a fund bearing her name, “Lucy Faris”, to open a library. She also donated her entire personal collection, which included 220 books, as well as periodicals, games, works of art and records. Her vision and community spirit led to the opening of Aylmer’s first library in 1938.

In May 2004, the town named a new library to honour her memory, which occupies two floors in Place des Pionniers. We should never forget the name Lucy Faris, a visionary who emphasized the importance of education for all, according to their interests, in a community space that will always be called the Lucy Faris Library, situated in the Old Aylmer neighbourhood of Gatineau. (Photo courtesy of Robert Ferris)
https://fairbairn.ca/en/lfaris/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs