HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 7:18 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Residence L'Initial [300 Bd Wilfrid-Lavigne, Aylmer] | 5+7f | Completed

This week's edition of the Aylmer Bulletin detailed a proposal to redevelop the former location of Canadian Tire in the Galeries d'Aylmer.

In place of the former Canadian Tire store, the consortium of The Heafey Group, le Groupe Maurice and Metro are proposing to construct 330 residential units in 2 towers (5 storey and 7 storey) connected to/with a new Super C supermarket. The existing Super C would be repurposed into the mall.

There is no story posted on the Aylmer Bulletin website (yet), nor have I been able to find an internet link to the plans. When I do, I'll link it up.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 12:22 AM
Mooderator

I'm glad there are plans for that space, thanks for the news.

I don't think the Bulletin even updates their website anymore, which is a shame. The Publi-Sac guy in my neighborhood seems to have disappeared, and I have to go to the mall or local dep to get a copy.

Les Galeries is still a veritable ghost town most of the time.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 1:09 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Found it. The article has now been posted, with image (below).

From the Aylmer Bulletin

Quote:
$70 million investment for Old Aylmer
Two towers going up at the former Canadian Tire

Laurent Robillard-Cardinal

The plan is to demolish the former Canadian Tire to build a residential complex with 330 units and a supermarket on the ground floor.

“We hope to start the project, which involves three parties, this June,” announced Charles Masse, VP Development & Operations with the Heafey Group, which owns the Galeries Aylmer.

The three investors who will occupy the former Canadian Tire space are Le Groupe Maurice, Heafey Group, and Métro, which owns Super C.

Le Groupe Maurice is a major real estate company which owns and operates more than a dozen seniors’ residences across the province.

This will be the project’s residential component, with two towers of five and seven storeys. The seven-storey tower will run along Wilfrid-Lavigne Boulevard.

The Heafey Group will build the grocery store. “The new building will link with the mall. This is a new trend. Residents can stay inside and still do their shopping, errands, and socializing,” noted Masse.

The modern supermarket will have 40,000 square feet (3,700 m2). Today’s Super C in the mall is roughly 1,670 m2, while the Super C in the Plateau is over 4,600 m2.

The plan includes some re-greening along Wilfrid-Lavigne and rue Principale. “We will add a mini-park, possible because we will have underground parking for 211,” noted Masse. “Many residents will not have vehicles, so 211 spaces is reasonable for 330 units.” There will also be parking south of the building.

The project has already passed the planning advisory committee step and will head to city council in coming weeks. Decontamination work is still underway and, once complete, construction will start, probably in June with a two-year date. “The Super C might open earlier,” added Masse.

Galeries Aylmer renos

With Super C’s departure from inside the mall, retail space will open up in the Galeries Aylmer. “We will renew the mall. If we don’t, the mall will lack activities. Big malls these days are about entertainment. We have plans for the present Super C space,” said Masse.

The mall is already renewing itself with a new SAQ (liquor store) and the eventual arrival of Home Hardware.

Although the Home Hardware sign is no longer up, manager Guy Leblanc confirmed that the hardware store is still coming.

“The sign was removed for legal reasons. We may have made the announcement too quickly,” said Leblanc. “The SAQ must move out before the Home Hardware can begin. The goal remains to open the hardware store by August 2016.”

As for other vacant spaces in the mall, such as the former Carlton Cards which closed at the end of February, the mall’s administration keeps seeking new clients and services

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 2:20 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Aylmer continues to grow.

So I guess in the future we find out about a western expansion of the Rapibus to that area?
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 9:36 PM
Mooderator

Thanks Horus. That woman looks ecstatic to be going to Tim Hortons.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Thanks Horus. That woman looks ecstatic to be going to Tim Hortons.

"Moi...?"

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 10:24 PM
Mooderator

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 10:28 PM
Mooderator

Moving this here..from April 12.

Quote:

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 11:40 PM
Mooderator

12 june 2017

2 cranes now.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 11:56 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
2 cranes now.
and an impressive hole in the ground.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 12:19 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

They sure have a big marketing budget anyway...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 11:07 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
They sure have a big marketing budget anyway...
That's for sure. Their ads are plastered everywhere.. especially on STO buses and stops. Even a few in downtown Ottawa, iirc.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 6:47 PM
Mooderator

10 nov 2017

Motoring along.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 7:38 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
"Moi...?"
I went to that Tim Horton's this morning, and I am not shitting you, someone who looked like this woman did the exact same thing, right on the corner.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 3:19 PM
Mooderator

It's topped out. An amazing colossus for Aylmer.

April 8.

April 23.

Panels are already half done on the west side. These are old pics, and I'm sure everyone wants to see an update.. so I'll just get right on that, next time I go to the mall.. or when I feel like it, because the suspense of this seniors residence is making you all giddy.

There is actually some neat wavy balconies on the Wilfrid-Lavigne side. Not that bad.

Much better than that Crappy Tire that was there before.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 3:50 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

The new Super C in the ground level between the towers will be a welcome upgrade from the rat-infested dump they currently occupy at the other end of the mall.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 4:04 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
The new Super C in the ground level between the towers will be a welcome upgrade from the rat-infested dump they currently occupy at the other end of the mall.
Eiish... I bought groceries there last week, please tell me there are no rats. Thank god it was mostly canned crap.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 10:22 PM

This one has been finished for a couple of years at least, but it never got marked complete and shown in it's completed state. This project just oozes quality in every way, and I would very much like to see such a thing replicated a hundred times over across old stroad malls across the region. This is a really excellent way to add housing to retail.

I will capture the really nice wavy balcony glass from ground level on another day.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 12:25 PM

Nice! I rarely get out to the QC side so it's nice to get that visibility.

Nice project! Agreed, these retail + residential mid-rises would be perfect for places like Trainyards, Merivale, Centrum, etc...

Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 4:24 PM

So it is possible to build residential on top of a grocery store, in a retail parking lot.

Someone send this to Doug Ford. This could have a bigger impact on the housing crisis than destroying greenspace for the profit of developers or bankrupting cities.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs