HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 4:18 AM
National Capital Region

The Point [1131-1151 Teron Rd] | 9+28m | 3+9f | U/C

March and Teron beside the Hydro Line.

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__85A2CR
To rezone the subject property from DR (Development Reserve) and R1M[773] (Residential First Density, Subzone M, Urban Exception 773) to R5A[XXXX] (Residential Fifth Density, Urban Exception XXX) to accommodate a building with a 10 and 15 apartment storey tower and six three-storey townhomes for a total of 179 units. Underground parking is proposed for the apartment units and at grade parking will be provided for the visitors and townhome units. The exception would be to reduce the corner side yard from 4.5 to 3.0 metres; reduce the interior side yard setback from 7.5 metres to 1.0 metre; reduce the rear yard setback from 6.0 metres to 2.5 metres and to permit a maximum building height of 53.8 metres with a residential penthouse.

http://www.yourottawaregion.com/news...-road-highrise

Residents oppose proposed Teron Road highrise

Jessica Cunha
July 4, 2012
Around 60 people turned out for a public meeting on a proposed development to build a two-tiered highrise in Beaverbrook, on Monday, June 25.

Kanata North Coun. Marianne Wilkinson and the Kanata Beaverbrook Community Association (KBCA) hosted the meeting to inform the community about an application to rezone the property and to find out what people would like to see at the location.

“We wanted to ask you to give us ideas,” she said. “Keeping everything exactly as is, is not going to work.”

Developer Phil Bottriell owns about 1.6 hectares of land at 1131 Teron Rd., where his current house sits, backing onto March Road. He issued a request to the city to rezone the land to allow for a 10- and 15-storey, two-tiered building, as well as six three-storey townhouses.

Beaverbrook residents at the meeting felt this proposal doesn’t fit in with the community.

“The proposal of this 15- and 10-storey (building) is way too much for this area,” said Andrew Crain, who lives in the area.

“I just feel it’s so inappropriate for the whole community,” said Beth Mlacak.

Colin Billowes a Beaverbrook resident since the 1960s, echoed the statements.

“It’s ridiculous – highly out of character and proportion for the community,” he said. “I think anything more than two storeys is inappropriate.”

Residents recently went to bat against another rezoning application to allow for a 16-storey residential building at 2 The Parkway. The final report on that request was slated to be released on June 29, but has been postponed until mid-August.

“Beaverbrook is recognized as a garden city,” said KBCA president Gary Sealey. “We should say no to developments that don’t fit.”

SPECIFIC

Wilkinson said she wanted to hold the meeting to brainstorm alternatives for the site. Although the city can’t tell a developer what to put on his or her land, comments from the community can help shape the final report and whether or not the re-zoning application is approved.

“Beaverbrook has a very distinct character,” she said. “We want to know what residents think should go there.”

When it came to arguments against the 2 The Parkway proposal, residents weren’t specific enough in their comments on how it would affect them, Wilkinson said.

“What we really need to do is focus on Beaverbrook and what it means to you,” she told the crowd, adding it makes a difference if every person submits an individual comment. “The input from the community is very, very important.”

Neil Thomson, KBCA director of planning, said the proposed 197-unit building would have site lines into the backyards of neighbouring houses.

Privacy, “it’s critical to people of Bethune,” he said, adding people should focus their comments on how the building could impact them.

He said complaints about the strain on traffic, sewers and transportation wouldn’t be taken into account.

“If we want to be effective…we have to play the game,” he said. “Arguing it’s going to decrease the property value is not going to be effective.”

Bethune resident Gail White said she was worried about the amount of foot-traffic that could result from the number of proposed units.

“We can’t fence ourselves off,” she said.

TOWN CENTRE

A number of people at the meeting said the 10- and 15-storey, two-tiered highrise would fit better in the town centre, located near the Kanata Centrum, where higher density buildings have already been built.

“We care about the fabric of this community as a whole,” said KBCA member Gerry Holt. “It belongs just down the road in the Kanata Town Centre.”

Some of the alternatives proposed for the Teron Road site included:

* Seniors bungalows.

* Two- or three-storey offices.

* Two-storey townhomes.

* Medical centre.

* Maintain the status quo.

“The report should include comments from the community saying what they think will better fit,” said Wilkinson.

Bill Teron, known as the “Father of Kanata,” has pledged to help bankroll any legal fights that might ensue because of this proposed development, and the one at 2 The Parkway.

A committee has put together a “war chest” to help cover any legal costs that might arise.

“In a few months you can destroy 50 years of planning,” he said about spot re-zoning. “We will fight this until the end. If we lose, we will appeal.

“This will not happen except over our dead bodies.”

Comments on the proposal can be sent to city planner Marc Magierowicz through email at marc.magierowicz@ottawa.ca or by phone at 613-580-2424 ext. 27820. The deadline is July 6, but comments will still be accepted after that time.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 4:35 AM

I can't even comment on this. Suffice it to say I won't ever be living amongst the residents of Beaverbrook, lest they disapprove of the style of my shirt and dip into their "war chest".

So when do the guided tours of this 1960s suburb begin? I'm sure the world wants to see the car-centric suburban utopia in action.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 5:50 AM

I'd like to know what they consider to be 'distinct character'. If it's taken them 50 years to build up a segment of urban sprawl not different from any other in this city, I'm not convinced of any reason why they shouldn't embrace something that might keep people working closer to home.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
“This will not happen except over our dead bodies.”
I thought retirement means enjoying the life... Soon we will see additional pressure to our health care system...

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 3:34 PM

Quote:
I thought retirement means enjoying the life... Soon we will see additional pressure to our health care system...
From what I've witnessed, retirement in Ottawa means years spent obsessively defending your "quality of life" by opposing every project proposed for your neighbourhood, whether it be residential, transit, or retail.

Do these people go to their deathbeds repenting "I wish I had wasted more time fighting to keep things the same in my backyard"? Jesus - hug your grandkid. Smell a flower. Take a vacation. Life goes on.

This raises an issue I've long had a beef with - people will donate huge amounts of time and personal funds to resist change and keep people out of their neighbourhood (FOL being the biggest so far), but think of what that time and money could have done to make the city a better place for all people to live in, rather than just one person.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 3:49 PM

Old Posted Aug 5, 2012, 1:54 AM

So at this location...

The shadows, for most of the day, are in the field below the power lines.
Literally right across the street from this location is three 6-storey office towers.
It's pretty much at the end of Teron, near March, so traffic wouldn't be much of an issue.

Seems like a good location for some density.

Plus the further down March you drive, there's nothing but 10+ storey office towers.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2012, 6:04 AM

Don't tell that to the people who have lived there years and are totally aware of the kind of architecture/planning they are protecting.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
I can't even comment on this. Suffice it to say I won't ever be living amongst the residents of Beaverbrook, lest they disapprove of the style of my shirt and dip into their "war chest".

So when do the guided tours of this 1960s suburb begin? I'm sure the world wants to see the car-centric suburban utopia in action.
There are no public guided tours of the neighbourhood; entry is by invitation only. Of course, it's not a gated community so you can just walk/drive in if you want, but be forewarned that your barbarian presence will be met immediately with the dreaded withering glance of disapproval of the locals.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 12:13 AM

Those withering glances will be countered by my steely gaze and an upturned middle hand digit.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Nine- and three-storey buildings proposed for Teron Road

Public meeting to be held Dec. 17

Kanata Kourier-Standard
By Jessica Cunha

The developer who proposed a 15-storey highrise in Beaverbrook has come back with a new pitch for a nine-storey building coupled with a three-storey apartment complex.

Phil Bottriell who owns 1.48 hectares of land at 1131 Teron Rd. first issued a request to the city early last year to rezone the land for a 10- and 15-storey, two-tiered building, as well as six three-storey townhouses. More than 300 residents attended a public meeting in August 2012 to voice their opposition to a highrise in the middle of a low-rise community.

The developer went back to the drawing board, this time creating a multi-storey complex ranging from five to nine floors, which would transition away from Teron Road.

“The development proposal has been revised once again to deal with issues pertaining to the previously proposed ‘high-rise’ nature of one of the two structures,” it states in the submitted plan.

According to the developer’s application, the transition allows for landscaping treatment that “is more in keeping with the physical characteristics of the highrise Atrium condominium site located at the easterly end of Teron Road.”

As well, it states that most units will have terraces or balconies, except for most of those facing the existing townhouses at Bethune Condominium.

On the east side of the proposed nine-storey building, existing vegetation and new planting will “help to increase the transitioning between the existing low rise built form and the proposed midrise building.”

The three-storey apartment would not be significantly taller than the townhouse units so there is “no valid transition issue” between the existing community and the proposed building, states the report.

The nine-storey building would contain around 109 units, down from 173 in the first plan, and the three-storey apartment would hold around 18 to 24 units, according to the proposal. The developer is also looking at the potential of opening the ground floor of the apartment building to non-residential uses.

Kanata North Coun. Marianne Wilkinson told attendees at her monthly town hall meeting on Nov. 25 about the new proposal and the plan for a public meeting, to be held this month.

She said because the land is close to a future transit station on March Road, the city’s policy allows up to nine storeys.

“That was the rational; when you’re that close you can go up to nine storeys,” she said. “I still think it’s too high.”

The public meeting is set for Dec. 17, from 7 to 9 p.m. at Kanata United Church, 33 Leacock Dr.

Resident Mario Poirier said the community needs to look at the precedent an approval to the plan would set for other areas.

Neil Thomson, member of the Kanata Beaverbrook Community Association said the new proposal still doesn’t fit within the character of the existing community.

“This development is too high and too close to the street, to adjacent homes on Bethune Court, to homes across the street on Jackson Court and Varley Lane.”
http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/n...or-teron-road/

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
"Too close to the street"

I'll just be over here, pulling my hair out.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 3:45 PM

NOOOO! Not that hair!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 5:08 PM

Is this 'Beaverbrook's 9/11, part 2' ?? (to quote the most hilariously hyperbolic sentence ever uttered by a community association and reported in the media?)

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 9:32 PM

What the hell is with these Beaverbrook people? I know this is Ottawa and making a fuss about new things is a seemingly mandatory behaviour, but this is ridiculous.

We've found the suburban equivalent of the Glebe, everybody. (Yay?)

This is a really good project, IMO. Immediately adjacent to Kanata North BRT, which is a big plus because that corridor needs intensification... without it, anything more than 30 minute service in the off-peak won't be justifiable and we'll have an expensive busway with almost no buses on it.

Rentals are a really smart idea at this location. Perfect for all the out-of-town co-op and internship students from Waterloo, Queens, etc. doing placements at the business park.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 1:52 AM

more rentals can only be a good thing.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 12:48 PM

I'm sick of all the dark, looming, scary shadows this will cause...

Old Posted Dec 7, 2013, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
I'm sick of all the dark, looming, scary shadows this will cause...
Has anyone checked if these shadows are of the PERMANENT and LIGHT BLOCKING variety?

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 7:43 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
And we all know how well she has done in front of the OMB in the past. Her clutching at straws testimony in 2005 as an 'expert planning witness' didn't enhance her reputation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs