HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Dec 29, 2013, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teej1984 View Post
Went by last night and this site is HUGE! It's kind of a shame they've plopped a massive parking garage at the front of it, however... Given it's proximity to Blair Station, they should encourage people to bus!
It's actually quite a long walk from Blair station, and bus transit on Ogilvy is far from adequate. I think anyone who has a choice will not use transit to go there.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
It's actually quite a long walk from Blair station, and bus transit on Ogilvy is far from adequate. I think anyone who has a choice will not use transit to go there.
It's a 10 minute walk. It depresses me to say you're probably right. Many Ottawans seem to be that lazy.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2013, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Shaun View Post
It's a 10 minute walk. It depresses me to say you're probably right. Many Ottawans seem to be that lazy.

Although CSE is a bit further down the street, currently a fair number of people can be seen leaving CSIS on foot around rush hour.

Gloucester Centre is also getting fixed up so that should help make the area a bit more pleasant.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
Although CSE is a bit further down the street, currently a fair number of people can be seen leaving CSIS on foot around rush hour.

Gloucester Centre is also getting fixed up so that should help make the area a bit more pleasant.
Signs went up announcing what the new stores in Gloucester center are: Rexall pharmacy and Petvalue. Just in case there wasn't enough selection of medecins, personal care, and pet supplies with the combination of Loblaws and Walmart in the same mall.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Shaun View Post
The whole area around Blair Station is anti-pedestrian big box malls, wide boulevards and windswept parking lots. Are there any decent sidewalks providing a direct route from Blair to the new CSE entrance on Ogilvie? It does not encourage people to make that walk. On top of that, during transit optimization, they eliminated direct transit service covering the CSIS and NRC campuses. Does it really surprise anybody that most now drive to these locations? We should realize that the city is working at odds with the feds on transportation to these locations. Is there no real discussion and cooperation?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
The whole area around Blair Station is anti-pedestrian big box malls, wide boulevards and windswept parking lots. Are there any decent sidewalks providing a direct route from Blair to the new CSE entrance on Ogilvie? It does not encourage people to make that walk. On top of that, during transit optimization, they eliminated direct transit service covering the CSIS and NRC campuses. Does it really surprise anybody that most now drive to these locations? We should realize that the city is working at odds with the feds on transportation to these locations. Is there no real discussion and cooperation?
Not a straight line but direct enough. City Park dr & Ogilvie dr have sidewalks. The bus that served NRC got cut but CSEC/CSIS is still served by the 12, 124, 127, & 129 should one want a shorter walk from Blair stn.

You do bring up a good point about the most certain lack of communication between the city and its largest employer: the federal government.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2014, 12:13 AM

Rexall is simply the parent company putting the "Pharma Plus" brand out to pasture. Not really a change there, unless we're discussing an expanded store.

Petvalue is new to that mall, though.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2014, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEWLine View Post
Rexall is simply the parent company putting the "Pharma Plus" brand out to pasture. Not really a change there, unless we're discussing an expanded store.
Good point. There's already a smaller PharmaPlus in the mall. Probably safe to assume it is being replaced by the new larger Rexall then.

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 9:19 PM

I think it's time we changed this one from 'proposed'!

The Spy Palace...our tax dollars at work! Only the finest for CSIS.

A construction worker threatened to take away my camera...I had to inform him that in Canada where there is no gate, no sign, and no fence it is within our right to take a picture of our surroundings. I never went pass a controlled access point.

Only the finest in parking garages will do:

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 11:05 PM

Looks very nice... if only it was accessible and visible to all, not in such a secluded and closed in area

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 11:45 PM

Note the overhanging glass on the main facade has the same type of clamps as the Convention Centre.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 10:58 AM

Is this CSIS or the CSEC campus?

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 12:48 PM

I believe this is the CSEC campus.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Is this CSIS or the CSEC campus?
It is CSEC. The thread has the wrong title. CSIS is next door...

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 3:47 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Wow, that's a really nice-looking place where bad stuff goes down.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 4:12 PM

It is CSEC, my apologies. I thought it was an expansion of CSIS.

'With the rapid expansion in the number of CSEC personnel since the 9/11 attack in the US, the existing CSEC facilities are no longer sufficiently large. A new C$880 million, 72,000 sq. m. facility is being built in southeast Ottawa, immediately west of the headquarters building for the Canadian Security Intelligence Service. Construction began in early 2011 and it is expected that it will be completed in 2015. Plans indicate that there will be a secure physical connection between the two buildings allowing for the passage of personnel between them.'

Can a mod please move my pictures to this thread?
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=187406&page=3

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 5:51 PM
National Capital Region

moved

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 2:15 PM

If only Library and Archives were getting this building instead. They need the space, and the look of the building from outside strikes me as one better suited to the LAC purpose. "Sweep of history" arch and all that?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 2:55 PM

The number one reason CSEC got a new campus was due to the fact the computers needed to run the analytics of modern "Five Eyes" sigint agencies could not be fed from the grid at Confederation Heights; they had exceeded the limits of the power they could draw.

Also, they need to compete with the likes of Google for talent.

Welcome to the World as we know it.

Source: CSEC director interview\

Edit: every time I take the 118 past CSEC I wonder what's in the "insurance" building on the other side of the street.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 6:49 PM

When I think of the irony that CSE's current HQ used to belong to CBC...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs