HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
I am more concerned with what happens when / if the football program craters and the full OOS tuition paying daddy’s boys/girls from Texas go elsewhere.
That is understandable and is a little bit of a concern of mine as well; however, UA was attracting OOS students before Saban got here. I don't see the scholarship opportunities we currently have going away anytime soon and in the end that is what truly matters to these families. I mean if it was just football more in-state kids would be applying and enrolling here, but that doesn't seem to matter one bit.

Sidenote: Has anyone else heard that the University is starting to restrict the number of students they are admitting?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 11:26 PM

Those scholarships are funded by the students and families paying full OOS tuition out of pocket. And I’m skeptical that they come to UA for the academics and not to cosplay college in the UA bubble for four years.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 10:46 PM

Quote:
How big will the main auditorium be?
From the website:

"The facility will include four performance theatres—a black box theatre with flexible seating for 175-275, a 350-seat proscenium style theatre, a 450-seat venue specifically designed for dance and a dance studio theatre with flexible space for rehearsals, recitals and smaller performances. These performance spaces will set the stage for an intimate artist-to-audience connection, elevating the experience for each patron."

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post
From the website:

"The facility will include four performance theatres—a black box theatre with flexible seating for 175-275, a 350-seat proscenium style theatre, a 450-seat venue specifically designed for dance and a dance studio theatre with flexible space for rehearsals, recitals and smaller performances. These performance spaces will set the stage for an intimate artist-to-audience connection, elevating the experience for each patron."

So nothing in the 1000+ range? That’s disappointing.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadinhsv View Post
That is understandable and is a little bit of a concern of mine as well; however, UA was attracting OOS students before Saban got here. I don't see the scholarship opportunities we currently have going away anytime soon and in the end that is what truly matters to these families. I mean if it was just football more in-state kids would be applying and enrolling here, but that doesn't seem to matter one bit.

Sidenote: Has anyone else heard that the University is starting to restrict the number of students they are admitting?

Saban certainly contributed to the growth we have seen at UA. But Robert Witt got the ball rolling with his growth with quality vision. Sadly, the presidents that came after him have not emphasized quality, just growth.

The state Senate just passed an anti DEI bill, so hopefully, if passed in the House too, that will remove DEI from UA and allow for a return to the raising of admission standards. https://1819news.com/news/item/bill-...-passes-senate

Last edited by atlanta68; Feb 24, 2024 at 8:17 PM.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 7:14 AM

You can only bribe so many people to come to Alabama.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 10:21 PM

Quote:
You can only bribe so many people to come to Alabama.
UF just fired all of its DEI staff. Come on Alabama, time to do the same here. Free up funds for the rest of the university, and let standards be raised.

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/...aff/112467912/

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 5:15 PM

The University of Alabama's Capital Campaign reached it's original goal of $1.5 billion with two years left. So, the goal has been adjusted to $1.8 billion. Thanks to all the donors who support the University.

https://risingtide.ua.edu/

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer16 View Post
The University of Alabama's Capital Campaign reached it's original goal of $1.5 billion with two years left. So, the goal has been adjusted to $1.8 billion. Thanks to all the donors who support the University.

https://risingtide.ua.edu/
That is great news! Wish there was a way we could move any extra funds to the new basketball arena

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 6:28 PM

We can free up several million each year for a new arena, by simply closing down the UA DEI Office and the DEI positions within most of the university's colleges. I know some are tired of hearing this, but it is such an important matter, that it bears repeating. We could prob also free up another several million each year by cutting various administrative positions across campus.

Anyway, I don't know if you guys still read the CrimsonWhite, but it certainly doesn't seem like a group of satisfied students. The students who run the CW seem to be just as upset with our Board of Trustees as I am, though they seem to want contradictory things. The writer in the first piece below complains about the growth in student enrollment, but another writer in the second post below complains about any movement away from DEI (which keeps standards lower, allowing for higher enrollment).

https://thecrimsonwhite.com/113630/o...to-a-business/

https://thecrimsonwhite.com/113648/o...-its-students/

I have not seen a conservative or anti DEI view allowed in the CW for about the last ten years. I know young people tend to be more open to the left, which is fine, but the CW of today and recent past seem like the thought police for sure.

Last edited by atlanta68; Mar 4, 2024 at 11:38 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 9:11 PM

Interesting article. Enjoy! RTR!!

https://universitybusiness.com/how-d...ut-the-alumni/

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 1:25 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Alumni base is indeed the key. And large graduate classes help fuel that.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting that Packer. If you follow any of the social media from organizations at the university or barstool you can see the love that these students have for the school. That's why when people say that these kids from out of state spend 3-4 years at the school and go back to where they came from to never come back or care about the school, I just laugh and say "you have no clue"

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 11:56 PM

Spawn, you are correct. The strengths of the Alumni of a University are telling of the quality of education and the experience that a University provides. Academics is very important. But, the development of the individual during their time on campus is also so important. As far back as the mid 90's, the BOT realized UA needed to grow their alumni base. Finally, hiring a President who fulfilled the mission the BOT had invisioned. Dr. Witt realized that part of the experience was a beautiful campus. Also, make changes to reward productive faculty and make the learning experience better. No question, that has been the result as the University of Alabama has transformed from a Regional University to a true National University.
Chad, you are 100% correct that students from all over this great Nation have had that "great experience" and have received that "great education" that is now provided by the University of Alabama at a bargain price. I've talked to many out-of-state students who never thought of UA until they were recruited. Now, they are life-long lovers of "Their" Alma Mater.
Since 2003, the University of Alabama has more than doubled its alumni base. We are young-heavy and bringing in more donor dollars than ever. The future is very bright.
The "Debbie Downers" can whine on, but, the fact is, the University of Alabama has never been stronger and the future projects an incredible increase in strength. I can't wait to watch it happen. ROLL TIDE FOREVER!!!

Last edited by Packer16; Mar 23, 2024 at 10:57 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 3:19 AM

Yet these out of state newly minted alumni don’t care to stay in Tuscaloosa let alone Alabama. Everyone in Birmingham who is an UA alum is an Alabama native. The state is barely growing in the younger demographics. It’s all retirees in Baldwin County and engineers in Huntsville.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 3:08 PM

Feen,
Some recent numbers for you. RTR

https://alabama.app.box.com/s/l26qus...7rf9yvomownf7f

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Feen,
Some recent numbers for you. RTR

https://alabama.app.box.com/s/l26qus...7rf9yvomownf7f
Packer, I tried to find a more recent report but the one I can find is kind of confusing.

https://career.sa.ua.edu/about/career-outcomes/

Is there a report like the one you linked, but for more recent? Looking for maybe 2023 if that's been reported yet

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 9:55 PM

Would love to see this broken down in-state vs OOS.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 8:16 PM

Congrats to Michael Zengel, Lena Seyfarth, and Jackson Marshall, three UA students who were announced Goldwater Scholars, today. The Goldwater Scholarship is the most prestigious STEM award for undergrads in the United States. This year, the University of Alabama leads the state of Alabama with three, followed by UAB with two, and UAH and South Alabama with one each.

The updated all-time total counts for Alabama universities...

University of Alabama 65
UAB 39
Auburn University 12
U. of South Alabama 11
UAH 5

Last edited by Packer16; Mar 29, 2024 at 9:33 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 3:20 PM

We have the most top students, but we also have the most lower tier students. Not acceptable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast