HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Who has the most of them all?
Vaughan 15 23.08%
Mississauga 9 13.85%
Okotoks 3 4.62%
Milton 4 6.15%
Edmonton 9 13.85%
Calgary 7 10.77%
London 10 15.38%
Oakville 0 0%
Toronto 3 4.62%
Airdrie 3 4.62%
Laval 2 3.08%
Brossard 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 7:56 PM
arf

We deserve to be in this poll.

Here's some

Here's some

Here's some

Here's some

Here's some

This is in a city of 250,000 people, with very little other population to add to the CMA.

oh look, they're building more

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 7:56 PM

From my experience, Brampton for sheer number, but I voted London due to power centres per capita.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 8:38 PM

1. Vaughan
2. Brampton
3. Laval

In that order

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 8:46 PM

I wouldn’t say malls are dying, just changing. 2 major malls have been built in southern Ontario in the last decade and both are quite successful. They just take the form of outlet malls.

The mid level malls are dying because power centres have replaced them. Mega malls with top level retailers are busier than ever.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I didn't vote because it's not a fair comparison and not national. You are comparing actual cities with places that are nothing but suburbs. Also there are 2 provinces represented.
Would Surrey be the worst in BC for Big Box? Coquitlam along Highway 1?

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Surrey is definitely up there, but the big box stores are also dissappearing at a rapid rate, particularly in Whalley.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 9:58 PM

Poll needs more gta cities.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 10:19 PM

Malls are also changing. There are some newer malls but unlike the older ones, many are outlet malls............basically just big box store shopping with a roof. The newest incarnation is in Tsawwassen BC built on First Nations land near the ferry terminal.

Even though we are talking about the death of malls, the death of big box "power centres" could also be upon us in 30 years. These centres are built in the booming suburbs but this was the same as the malls before them. However due to demographic changes those malls surrounded by a growing and young population soon turned into retirement villages with no kids and the same will happen in 30 years in the areas that now surround the power centres.

Added to this is the exponential rise of on-line shopping and there could be real trouble. There is NOTHING in these big box centres that cannot be purchased on line and younger people are increasingly more comfortable with on-line shopping than older ones.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
Surrey is definitely up there, but the big box stores are also dissappearing at a rapid rate, particularly in Whalley.
I know a Rona in Newton closed recently as well. (Was planned for awhile, not related to the pandemic)

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Malls are dying. They aren't being built anymore, but a big one was actually built in Vaughan very recently, Vaughan Mills. Other very large malls and their department stores somehow still survive and have yet to be converted to power centres in Mississauga, Brampton, Laval, Scarborough, North York... I would argue that these places have resisted big box development a lot better than a lot of other places in Canada.
North York has some in the west end, close to Downsview and Yorkdale Mall. Not Willowdale or Don Mills. Walmart doesn’t have much of a presence in North York other than around Downsview; when I used to live near Willowdale I used to go to either Thornhill or Agincourt Mall to shop there, and neither were particularly close.

Toronto’s big box retail is largely in Scarborough. Golden Mile? More like Big Box Hell.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 11:22 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I voted Okotoks on principle.

St. John's per capita is shit.

Blue line is basically Empire Avenue (our ring road in the 1940s). Everything outside of that, to me, is practically in New Brunswick. I never go there willingly lol

Red circles are the main big box areas.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
That Vaughan example actually has a development application in to turn it into a community of about 10,000 people:

Personally I would say Brampton is king. Easily the most truely suburban area in the GTA from built form.

Vaughan is king of the suburban industrial park though. It’s shocking how much of that type of product exists there and they are still building it in droves around the 427 Extension.
Quite the view for some of those units of the 400 and its off ramp

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 2:58 AM
recession proof

Cambridge has some rather nasty ones along Hespeler Road. Waterloo's westside is going crazy for this garbage from the laughably-named The Boardwalk now sprawling towards Wilmot Line. Then there's Kitchener.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 3:05 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Vaudreuil in off island Montreal has become very big box barfian since I left Montreal.

dumbcentres

When I lived in Montreal, there wasn't much of note in Vaudreuil, aside from the creepy empty drug tower (this place: https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4107...i8192?hl=en-US).

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 3:06 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Even though we are talking about the death of malls, the death of big box "power centres" could also be upon us in 30 years. These centres are built in the booming suburbs but this was the same as the malls before them. However due to demographic changes those malls surrounded by a growing and young population soon turned into retirement villages with no kids and the same will happen in 30 years in the areas that now surround the power centres.
I'm curious too - what will the ultimate fate of Power Centres? Given that it seems we've seen 'Peak retail', what happens in the future?

I think staples like Costco will probably be OK - just like grocery stores haven't been hit nearly as hard as department stores. It'll be the weird stuff like Michaels and PetSmart - does one really need ginormous stores for crafts/pet food?

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 3:41 AM
recession proof

From an environmental pov, adaptive reuse of the buildings would be ideal: light industrial, creative, tech startups. The parking lots could house millions of people affordably in bungalows, two storey walkups or stacked townhomes.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
I would think Langley.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 5:49 AM

The entire Fraser Valley is nothing more than a series of big box stores connected by lousy roads. Outside of White Rock, Cloverdale, and downtown Langley, the entire FV thru to Abbotsford is nothing but a collection of malls, strip plazas and big box power centres. Outside of those small exceptions, it's basically just Scarborough urban blight spread over an areas 5X bigger.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 8:03 AM
BANNED

I think South Edmonton Common is the largest big box outlet "power centre" in Canada. Also, there are seven Costcos in Edmonton and they are building another. Edmonton folk love their costco

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 11:30 AM

So 8 Costcos in Edmonton? That’s a lot. I noticed they usually don’t go above a ratio of one Costco per 275-300k people. Calgary and Ottawa-Gatineau have 5 each. I imagine the demand in Edmonton is exceptional.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada