HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:05 PM

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/why-so-m...toba-1.7044328

I was one of those young people who left. The takeaway? We do a terrible job of promoting ourselves. It's a decades-old problem.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_vivant View Post
https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/why-so-m...toba-1.7044328

I was one of those young people who left. The takeaway? We do a terrible job of promoting ourselves. It's a decades-old problem.
They're really overstepping the actual findings from their study. They talk about how people are leaving for lower taxes. That's a VERY shaky claim to make based on their actual survey responses.

It's almost like the Chamber of Commerce and Canada West Foundation want to tell a story about how the loss of young workers is primarily a taxation story... I wonder why

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:48 PM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
They're really overstepping the actual findings from their study. They talk about how people are leaving for lower taxes. That's a VERY shaky claim to make based on their actual survey responses.

It's almost like the Chamber of Commerce and Canada West Foundation want to tell a story about how the loss of young workers is primarily a taxation story... I wonder why
I take most of what the Chamber of Commerce says with a grain of salt..

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:20 PM

Almost everyone I know who moved to BC, southern ONT or Alberta when they were in their 20’s have all moved back here because they couldn't afford to have families with two jobs and have a good quality of living.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post

Hmm, interesting. Never thought of that. But I have to say, coming from another province, Manitoba's age-old claims of affordability don't really hold up anymore (other than housing).

Last edited by bon_vivant; Yesterday at 9:32 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:27 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Almost everyone I know who moved to BC, southern ONT or Alberta when they were in their 20’s have all moved back here because they couldn't afford to have families with two jobs and have a good quality of living.
Really? Almost all of the people from my graduating class moved to Alberta or BC and none of them moved back. This was early 90's.

Only 3 people in my graduating class moved east. 2 of us are still here.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:36 PM

I think the era in which your people moved vs mine revolves a lot around cost of living and ease of establishment at that time vs 20- some years later, if I could guess.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan