HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:48 PM

Rogers TV have now posted the Mayor's interview with Deluce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7_2Dy3R_HY

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
Rogers TV have now posted the Mayor's interview with Deluce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7_2Dy3R_HY
It's a good listen. A couple things that jumped out at me that weren't mentioned in various articles:

Re: MCO and FLL: "We were very full on Florida...you're gonna see more frequency [on MCO and FLL] as well as new markets". It's been hypothesized on this form that MCO/FLL would go double daily next winter so glad to see it potentially coming to fruition. Seems like a no brainer with well-timed connections, especially if F8 vacates those markets next winter from YOW. Also mentioned that he would speak to people in Ottawa who had no idea Porter was an option for Florida, so it's encouraging it was already successful and are optimistic there's room for growth there.

"You'll soon see a co-branded credit card, and a broadening of our loyalty program...." - this has been mentioned before, but good to see still on the radar. I'd happily switch from my Aeroplan CC to a Porter based one.

He also alluded how it's hard to estimate demand based on market data. An example he gave was YQT, they were surprised how much YOW traffic they were funneling through YTZ on that route given the market data, hence why they launched it 2x daily from YOW.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanR27 View Post
It's a good listen. A couple things that jumped out at me that weren't mentioned in various articles:

Re: MCO and FLL: "We were very full on Florida...you're gonna see more frequency [on MCO and FLL] as well as new markets". It's been hypothesized on this form that MCO/FLL would go double daily next winter so glad to see it potentially coming to fruition. Seems like a no brainer with well-timed connections, especially if F8 vacates those markets next winter from YOW. Also mentioned that he would speak to people in Ottawa who had no idea Porter was an option for Florida, so it's encouraging it was already successful and are optimistic there's room for growth there.

"You'll soon see a co-branded credit card, and a broadening of our loyalty program...." - this has been mentioned before, but good to see still on the radar. I'd happily switch from my Aeroplan CC to a Porter based one.

He also alluded how it's hard to estimate demand based on market data. An example he gave was YQT, they were surprised how much YOW traffic they were funneling through YTZ on that route given the market data, hence why they launched it 2x daily from YOW.
I watched this video a few days ago myself. One thing he said that was very optimistic is the fact that not everyone knows that Porter is an option for longer haul flights and the fact that these flights are full from YOW to places like Florida despite this fact is "encouraging" to him. He mentions they never expected to hit peak uptake in the first year and that awareness and route connectivity will continue to increase over the years. "So even though not everyone knows Porter is an option, these successful flights are encouraging".

Also, apparently so far every route Porter has launched has been successful according to him. This allows them to "take risks" which solidifies my point that I have made on this forum a couple of times that route launches with any given carrier are not just about the data on hand. Sometimes it takes vision, risks, and commitment to a community.

Another point that I have mentioned on here in the past that he said in the interview: "more connectivity stimulates demand, and when you introduce a non-stop, it gets people thinking maybe I should go visit there now that it's just one plane away rather than a connection".

In general, it seems from the interview that Ottawa is proving to be very successful for them. Can't wait to buy tickets to LAS, LAX, and/or SFO the second they announce it for a family vacation.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofYOW View Post
I watched this video a few days ago myself. One thing he said that was very optimistic is the fact that not everyone knows that Porter is an option for longer haul flights and the fact that these flights are full from YOW to places like Florida despite this fact is "encouraging" to him. He mentions they never expected to hit peak uptake in the first year and that awareness and route connectivity will continue to increase over the years. "So even though not everyone knows Porter is an option, these successful flights are encouraging".

Also, apparently so far every route Porter has launched has been successful according to him. This allows them to "take risks" which solidifies my point that I have made on this forum a couple of times that route launches with any given carrier are not just about the data on hand. Sometimes it takes vision, risks, and commitment to a community.

Another point that I have mentioned on here in the past that he said in the interview: "more connectivity stimulates demand, and when you introduce a non-stop, it gets people thinking maybe I should go visit there now that it's just one plane away rather than a connection".

In general, it seems from the interview that Ottawa is proving to be very successful for them. Can't wait to buy tickets to LAS, LAX, and/or SFO the second they announce it for a family vacation.
The one thing I wished the mayor had elaborated on more was talk about Europe. Could have asked about:
a) the TS partnership and basing an aircraft here for summer service with PD feeding TS like they're already setting up for at YUL. Imagine TS here in summer 2025 with 3x weekly LGW (if they can get the slots), 2x weekly DUB and 2x weekly GLA on a 321LR. Then down the road basing a 321XLR to expand further afield to with 2x weekly to FCO, BCN, LIS, etc. The demand from YOW to Spain/Portugal is larger here than I think most people realize because of all the leakage.

b) are PD working on any more interlines/codeshares with European carriers which would enable that airline to start service to YOW with PD feed.

c) ETOPS (but this requires avgeek levels of knowledge) now that the E2 is ETOPS 120 certified, how about PD themselves flying YOW-KEF to interline with their existing partner FI? KEF really only needs ETOPS 90 from what I understand.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
The one thing I wished the mayor had elaborated on more was talk about Europe. Could have asked about:
a) the TS partnership and basing an aircraft here for summer service with PD feeding TS like they're already setting up for at YUL. Imagine TS here in summer 2025 with 3x weekly LGW (if they can get the slots), 2x weekly DUB and 2x weekly GLA on a 321LR. Then down the road basing a 321XLR to expand further afield to with 2x weekly to FCO, BCN, LIS, etc. The demand from YOW to Spain/Portugal is larger here than I think most people realize because of all the leakage.

b) are PD working on any more interlines/codeshares with European carriers which would enable that airline to start service to YOW with PD feed.

c) ETOPS (but this requires avgeek levels of knowledge) now that the E2 is ETOPS 120 certified, how about PD themselves flying YOW-KEF to interline with their existing partner FI? KEF really only needs ETOPS 90 from what I understand.
There is quite a bit of a Western European population in Ottawa. I've always wanted TAP to serve YOW. Like Deluce mentioned, data from non-hubs are more unclear than hubs. Plus our leakage to YUL you absolutely cannot be 100% sure on O&D demand in this city to anywhere. Compare this to YWG where there is no leakage, they just deal with being a non-hub compared to the double whammy we have in YOW.

Hopefully Porter will bring us to YEG pax volume within the next 5 years.

Old Posted Today, 1:09 AM

“New partnership:

Delta Air Lines + Porter Airlines

Delta is Porter's third U.S. partner after JetBlue and Alaska. Unconfirmed how strong it'll be (whether they introduce codeshare or reciprocal mileage earning), but it should be at least interline connectivity for now. It'll be interesting to see if anything happens. If it's just interline, that's nothing major. But with Delta and WestJet's joint venture seemingly not planned anymore (and WestJet somewhat pulling back in Toronto), I guess there's an opening for Delta + Porter. “

Credit to Ishrion Aviation on X

Old Posted Today, 1:59 AM

If true this will be great news for YOW. A big step towards non stop flights to DTW as well as JFK and ATL.

Although I would be quite surprised to see partnership with DL instead of AA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaskoYOW View Post
“New partnership:

Delta Air Lines + Porter Airlines

Delta is Porter's third U.S. partner after JetBlue and Alaska. Unconfirmed how strong it'll be (whether they introduce codeshare or reciprocal mileage earning), but it should be at least interline connectivity for now. It'll be interesting to see if anything happens. If it's just interline, that's nothing major. But with Delta and WestJet's joint venture seemingly not planned anymore (and WestJet somewhat pulling back in Toronto), I guess there's an opening for Delta + Porter. “

Credit to Ishrion Aviation on X

Old Posted Today, 2:16 AM

The news is true: https://www.flyporter.com/en-ca/abou...rline-partners

Looks like they went with Delta rather than AA. Was Fiji Airways always on this list or is this new too? Come on Porter, give us LAX, ATL, and SEA. Hawaii, Australia, New Zealand, and Asia are all accessible by their West Coast hubs.

Another thing to note is that DL is Skyteam. Maybe Skyteam is on PD's radar? Would fit well with those AF flights...

Last edited by fanofYOW; Today at 2:42 AM.

Old Posted Today, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofYOW View Post
The news is true: https://www.flyporter.com/en-ca/abou...rline-partners

Looks like they went with Delta rather than AA. Was Fiji Airways always on this list or is this new too? Come on Porter, give us LAX, ATL, and SEA. Hawaii, Australia, New Zealand, and Asia are all accessible by their West Coast hubs.

Another thing to note is that DL is Skyteam. Maybe Skyteam is on PD's radar? Would fit well with those AF flights...
Fiji is new too - connections over YVR and (hopefully eventually for YOW) LAX and SFO too.

DL is surprising. I wonder if this could help see DL eventually return to YOW? While not having LGA isn't too bad, not having DTW and ATL really stinks. At the very least, it helps YOW-BOS a and even a bit for YOW-EWR. Mind out both of these routes already have connectivity (BOS a lot, EWR a bit) to/from B6.

DL serve up to 72 destinations from BOS (about 1/4 are seasonal, while TLV is suspended) and 7 destinations out of EWR.

Last edited by Dominion301; Today at 4:56 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation