HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 8:12 PM
the heat goes on

Hopefully that store proves the market for more urban stores (i.e. downtown).

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca View Post
Hopefully that store proves the market for more urban stores (i.e. downtown).
im sure it will. but that little one might take a few years to decide. i know toronto/regina shoppers drug marts have some pilot stores going into grocery/produce/deli etc. ( regina guys, speak for me please ) but if thats the case, id like to see Canarama shoppers beside me be reno'd.

with that being said...i was notified that until sobeys took target lawson, i possibly would close, but now thats off that list. ( which i think its a lie, just prolonged to see how it affects us, then that call will be made ) Canarama EF needs more work than any other loblaw store in the province. if any of you guys are customers here, my equip is always broken down , roof leaking, etc, and no help to fix it on our end. so ive been hurting for a while.

whats your thoughts on this ? im curious

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
im sure it will. but that little one might take a few years to decide. i know toronto/regina shoppers drug marts have some pilot stores going into grocery/produce/deli etc. ( regina guys, speak for me please ) but if thats the case, id like to see Canarama shoppers beside me be reno'd.

with that being said...i was notified that until sobeys took target lawson, i possibly would close, but now thats off that list. ( which i think its a lie, just prolonged to see how it affects us, then that call will be made ) Canarama EF needs more work than any other loblaw store in the province. if any of you guys are customers here, my equip is always broken down , roof leaking, etc, and no help to fix it on our end. so ive been hurting for a while.

whats your thoughts on this ? im curious
I'd always thought that Loblaws was keeping the EF in Canarama simply to keep the other grocery chains out of there. I don't really see that the switch to Sobey's from Safeway in Lawson would impact that. If Loblaws was to leave Canarama, I could certainly see Co-op looking at that space, as they don't have any grocery stores near there.

Agreed that the Canarama EF is pretty tired. It wouldn't shock me to see a new tenant simply knock it down and build new to suit their prototype layout if they were to take over that space.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
I'd always thought that Loblaws was keeping the EF in Canarama simply to keep the other grocery chains out of there. I don't really see that the switch to Sobey's from Safeway in Lawson would impact that. If Loblaws was to leave Canarama, I could certainly see Co-op looking at that space, as they don't have any grocery stores near there.

Agreed that the Canarama EF is pretty tired. It wouldn't shock me to see a new tenant simply knock it down and build new to suit their prototype layout if they were to take over that space.
loblaws also owns shoppers drug marts also. so hence this big ??? , for both of us tenants here. i agree with you, this location is one of the best for traffic wise. but with us owning shoppers too and how theyre going to a full service grocer, i dont see loblaws having 2 tenants here, we as an EF rent our spot which the overhead is stupid over the top insane in fees, but im not sure if shoppers actually OWNS that spot. i think i heard that they do.

i also agree with another tenant knocking this down too, we need a whole new roof just to put that out there, and thats 1.5mill. if my EF was to convert to a no frills, michaels independent would be out of business ( were good friends and he knows NF would kill him ) so they wouldnt have converted michaels to a independent if they were going to do something with my building. this is just my opinion. and my sales have dipped -45-50% last few weeks...and no idea why. all of us are just holding our breaths at the store right now. but i hate to say it, in my mind and for good business, convert shoppers, and close me. theyll save a wack of 6-figure dollars.

thoughts?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 1:31 PM

Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
From cbc.ca/news (July 31, 2016)

"The fresh additions began as a pilot project in a handful of Shoppers stores in 2014. The company recently remodelled several stores in downtown Toronto and now boasts 29 locations serving perishable goods — 19 in Toronto, eight in Regina and two in Hamilton."

Here is the full article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/shop...mart-1.3700945

Personally, I check all of the grocery store flyers to see who has the best weekly deals for the majority of my needs. Shoppers does have some good weekly deals.

The Broad & 14th store has scaled back their grocery section a bit since the pilot was created, as they initially had no idea what would sell and what wouldn't. Now, after a period of time, it is clear what their customers want. It really is about convenience, especially in neighbourhoods without a major grocery store within reasonable walking distance.

Selection may be limited and can be a bit pricey, but this is the price we pay for convenience. Ever find reasonable grocery items in a 7-11 or Macs?

As a side note, Galen Weston flew to Regina in his private jet late last year to see a few of these stores and to talk with the owners.

----- posted by a regina guy in their retail section-------

this makes it a bit more clear to me in my mind on my location with the shoppers. it would make much more sense , even as a business move to close me, and have the shoppers expand into a full grocery/deli/produce etc... seeing as this North park/river heights needs a store like that. and as loblaws owns shoppers now too. again, im just wondering since EF rents this spot, does shoppers OWN theirs. thats what ive been hearing.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
this makes it a bit more clear to me in my mind on my location with the shoppers. it would make much more sense , even as a business move to close me, and have the shoppers expand into a full grocery/deli/produce etc... seeing as this North park/river heights needs a store like that. and as loblaws owns shoppers now too. again, im just wondering since EF rents this spot, does shoppers OWN theirs. thats what ive been hearing.
Unless things have changed since it was built, Shoppers is still just a tenant in Canarama Mall. Their shell space was built for the landlord and Shoppers contracted the TIs separately. But that was many years ago now.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 5:36 PM

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/about_ikea...canada_halifax

If Halifax can land an IKEA, I wonder if Saskatchewan's largest city may also be on IKEA's radar.

Halifax CMA pop. (2015): 417,800

Saskatoon CMA pop. (2015): 305,000

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 5:00 PM

There are signs up at Preston Crossing announcing that a new Goodlife Fitness will be opening at that location.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 2:58 PM

I was reading an article this morning on CKOM's website that we are going to be getting a Skechers store in Preston Crossing as well. First I've heard of that.

http://ckom.com/article/1065214/bed-...eston-crossing

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 5:58 AM

Costco goers "Pumped" for the new location coming to Saskatoon.

By JT Marshall, 650 CKOM
October 1, 2016

The parking lot on Saturday mornings at Costco next to the Sasktel Centre is a zoo.

Folks hope that will change with a second location being added on the southeast side of Saskatoon in November.

"I'm very very pumped," Jeff Bergman said.

"I'll keep coming to this one because I live in the north, but now everybody can go to the other one."

[........]

Read more:
http://ckom.com/article/1069863/cost...ming-saskatoon

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 11:06 PM

Rock Creek in Blairmore has closed down and Montana's will be opening in its place. Saw a sign up on the building this afternoon.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 1:50 AM

Near corner of 21st and Ave D

To answer my own question.

My understanding is that the new business, beside Past and Present antique store, in the newly designed building will be an Art Gallery. Second floor will be living quarters. No word on completion date.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan