HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 2:53 PM

Good Lord people: my statement was only about the overuse of the word "Nimby" in general and a racist card played that was not useful in this discussion.

Everyone has their own agendas.... those were mine. It was very narrow.. but discussion inhibiting language is far to easy and popular on here and I just get sick of it.

Lets see....
I clearly stated the obvious that VMUs invading "traditionally" single family neighborhoods is a very complex issue that has real life consequences on lower income families as well as other income families. Its odd to me that some of the same folks who want to slam "haves" for not wanting affordable housing next door do not see the same issue is happening to lower income families being forced out of East Austin by the same desire for rapid gentrification and density.
Lets look at the whole , not just parcel out that which benefits one population.

That's it.... IT's very complicated.... and there is no perfect answer, however...
I woud love to see these discussions free from "NIMBY" isms ... which is just another form of economic othering...... or lobbing racist charges for whatever shaming and guilt intended where they do not belong. Just because I may spend more time volunteering for lower income and minority situations ( just to relieve my white guilt, of course) does not mean I get to shame people who may do less.

Lets see what else did someone try to take down.... oh yeah:
I'm pro density, ... but as a property owner am allowed to protect my home ...Both the well being of place I have worked for.... and my investment. So really we pick that apart as well?
So now Homes are not a good investment? Really? We change that perspective to try to defend lobbing "NIMBY" isms? Come on. stop.

Really folks... no need to play down how the density issue affects all... including folks who have been here a very long time and invested in the community years ago.. be that lower income ...or higher income... cause it's happening in all areas. A little respect is due to all.

As a city We will grow UP (vertical) and IN (density) and OUT ( sprawl) . We Have to do it all well. Few cities have seen the rapid change this one has. I love the growth.... but understand that there are few models for this rapid change. It's gonna be hard to balance.

Parting thought....
Todays renters who are pissed they can't afford inner city are tomorrow's property owners who will want to maintain their own status quo..... just wait.

Attack away.....

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin