HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 1:41 AM

Fred's a good man. I'd love to see him involved in Hamilton politics in some way but I can't imagine him running a successful campaign for mayor at his point. That ship has sailed...

I've never voted 'True Blue' in my life but if he ran provincially or federally I'd be very tempted to tick his box. That sounds gay but you know what I mean.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 6:38 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hillbilly Heaven owner Cameron Bailey launches his 2014 election campaign

http://bailey2014.com

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 6:54 PM

A xenophobe eager to represent a ward with the city's highest concentration of immigrants and visible minorities? He understands the rules around April Fool's as well as he does restaurant licensing.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Hillbilly Heaven owner Cameron Bailey launches his 2014 election campaign

http://bailey2014.com
Is it just a coincidence that everyone in that photo is white?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 12:40 AM

http://bailey2014.com/

WE CAN DO BETTER

Downtown businesses should not have to close at 6:00pm because Hamiltonians are uncomfortable with being on the street after dark.

A safer, business-friendly area means jobs for the residents of downtown. Jobs and opportunities they deperately need.

The media will present it as a gimmick and the politically correct will do whatever they can to paint me as dangerous. Just like a movie: I am one man & they are a machine - I'll take my chances.

I am asking you to join me in restoring the values this city was founded on.

Cameron Bailey

You're a frightening individual, Cameron. The nineteenth century's calling - you can go home now.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 1:44 PM

Civic politicians spooked by tough new Ontario water liability rules
(London Free Press, Debora Van Brenk, June 23 2013)

Five years in prison, $4 million in fines.

That’s the harsh new maximum penalty facing Ontario civic politicians for any water disasters on their watch.

While many applaud tougher standards to prevent another Walkerton tragedy, others are scared they could be left on the hook if someone screws up.

So skittish have some small-town politicians become, they’re wondering if it’s even worth the risk of sticking around.

“Nobody really wants to say it out loud but it’s a feeling out there” many won’t run for office again, says West Elgin Mayor Bernie Wiehle.

“It’s a real worry to some people and, come next election, they’ll probably not run.”

New elements of the Ontario Safe Drinking Water Act that took effect Jan. 1, say politicians, are responsible for the systems they oversee.

What employees do, or don’t, could legally be put on the politicians even if — a standard defence — they act in good faith and don’t know anything is amiss. It means they can’t simply stand behind their municipalities’ liability insurance.

A provincial fact sheet from the Environment Ministry underlines the new scrutiny they’ll be under:

“The circumstances and your actions — what you did or didn’t do, what questions you asked, what steps were taken to address identified risks or problems with your drinking water system — will all be important in determining whether you met your statutory standard of care and if you should be held responsible,” it says.

Only now is the gravity of that hitting home to some elected officials, especially in smaller centres.

Many wonder if they should run in next year’s civic elections, said Southwest Middlesex Mayor Doug Reycraft, a former Liberal MPP.

Some will bow out rather than risk even the chance of losing homes, investments and businesses.

“If there were to be another Walkerton, God help us, not only would the operator face legal action but also members of council would be held personally responsible,” said Reycraft, a director and past-president of the Association of Municipalities of Ontario.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 2:46 PM
It's Hammer Time

So they don't have confidence in the water system? hmmmm

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 3:00 PM

Quote:
So they don't have confidence in the water system? hmmmm
Good faith is overrated.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 2:15 PM
It's Hammer Time

http://www.thespec.com/opinion-story...mayor-s-chair/

Bratina
Ferguson
McHattie
Eisenberger
Chamberlain
Collins

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 3:18 PM

Yay!!!!!!! McHattie FOR THE WIN!!!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 5:09 PM

From the article: “A quick analysis suggests McHattie would capture the centre left vote, Ferguson would take the centre right, and Bratina could zigzag up the middle much as he did on the crowded field of 2010, when he won with 37 per cent of the vote.”

That is indeed a very quick analysis. I don’t think it always works this way municipally: a lot of voters I don’t think know municipal politicians’ party affiliations, and many municipal issues cut across the right-left continuum in different ways. But, it’s probably accurate enough to mean that McHattie doesn’t stand any kind of a chance at all. I don’t see him even capturing enough of the vote to be said to have influenced the race, but that’s just me…

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 5:23 PM

Brain McHattie for the win!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 5:24 PM
It's Hammer Time

McHattie will need to get suburban voters, need to focus Mountain, Dundas and Waterdown area.
Ferguson will need to get urban voters, need to focus heavy on Mountain and Stoney Creek area.
Bratina will need to maintain the votes be got last time, both urban and suburban votes.

With McHattie and Ferguson eating up urban and suburban votes Bratina will have to really ramp up his re-election base.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 6:22 PM
Ham-burgher

If those councilors do run for mayor (and I've read speculation about Merulla throwing his hat into the ring too) it will impact the complexion of council somewhat as well. Not in a huge way, but significantly enough.

That's not a bad thing.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 8:41 PM
Hammer'd

I think McHattie would have a good run with the urban voters from wards 1-4 but unfortunately for him, those voters make up a very small portion of the entire turnout. He's going to have to do a lot to appeal to suburban voters who probably aren't terribly familiar with him as a councilor. Being a mainly progressive, urban politician won't help him win votes there either.

He'd have my vote either way, but I'm not too confident that he'd give the top 2 spots a run for their money.

Bratina is done as he almost certainly lost all of the urban voters and probably a fair chunk of the suburban as well. I also highly doubt there's much truth to the Eisenberger re-election rumor.

I don't want to admit it but I think Lloyd Ferguson would be a top-pick given his wide appeal to suburban voters.

As the article points out though, everything could get completely turned upside down. The election is still over a year away.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 8:01 AM
Concerned Citizen

McHattie would be an opposition campaign managers dream come true. He will be portrayed as a bike riding, latte drinking car hater who will build bike lanes on all major roads and turn every street in the downtown two way.

As someone has already said he will do okay in the low turnout wards 1 - 4 but outside of that he wouldn't have a hope in hell of getting elected. The only bonus is if he runs and loses he is off council.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 12:02 PM

McHattie's one of the few competent and considerate members of council. It would be a shame if we lost him.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 12:50 PM
It's Hammer Time

To run for Mayor do you have to resign as councilor?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 2:16 PM

Quote:
To run for Mayor do you have to resign as councilor?
You can not run for multiple offices in the same election.

It would be really great to have a few councillors run for mayor and clear deck a bit to allow a few new-comers to council. I live in ward one and generally think McHattie does a good job, but new blood is a great thing, and for all kinds of reasons it is hard for incumbents to be defeated (it rarely happens at all) and so few people challenge them. It is beyond me why McHattie would want to leave council for the chance to come in fourth or third in the mayoral race, but if he does, I’ll be pleased at the broader choices of candidates in ward one as a result.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 2:29 PM

Quote:
http://www.thespec.com/opinion-story...mayor-s-chair/

Bratina
Ferguson
McHattie
Eisenberger
Chamberlain
Collins
Chamberlain and McHattie endorsed Eisenberger's 2010 mayoral re-election bid, which introduces an interesting dynamic. Another interesting tension is found in (perpetually tentative political careerist) Collins, who served alongside Eisenberger during Ward 5's aldermanic era. But then it's just a rumour.

McHattie would presumably have greater difficulty if Collins is in, since you'd have two lower-city councillors going after the brass ring. Would probably be able to summon degrees of support from NDP-aligned councillors Morelli, Merulla (barring his potential candidacy) and Duvall.

Still, early days.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy