HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Creech View Post

I'm still not as impressed as I thought it would bit, It's just such a one-sided building. You have the one nice side and the rest all seem like afterthoughts. Almost like they intend new buildings to go up right next door and behind and no one would seem those sides anyhow.
That's how buildings were traditionally built in cities. Buildings actually touched and side walls were unfinished. Look at The Ponce, Fox Theater, or any of the old buildings in Fairlie Poplar.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevyfresh View Post
Penthouse for sale in Aqua. Fantastic views! Great room below.

Master bedroom view

Club room

Nice photos Kevin.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 4:58 PM
Apathetic...and Loving It

Now I just need the money to afford it...

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 5:24 AM

Aqua is the worst piece of highrise disaster I've seen go up in Midtown in the recent years. It's tall but only aesthetic from one side (remember, there are FOUR sides to a building) and is squeezed onto the worst lot ever. The sought-after southern view is mostly blocked by Plaza Midtown, and the northern view gives you a great view of Checkers burger shop and 2 gigantic microwave towers. The worst crime is the fact the they replicated the suburban matchbox type house design into what could've been a beautiful highrise. You know those tightly spaced homes in the burbs with a pretty brick facade and 3-side siding? They put a pretty glass front facing north and the remaining 3 sides are solid concreate blandness that ironically screams out, "look how ugly I am!!!". Poor Plaza Midtown owners that have to face this royal piece of mistake.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 1:41 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkix View Post
Aqua is the worst piece of highrise disaster I've seen go up in Midtown in the recent years. It's tall but only aesthetic from one side (remember, there are FOUR sides to a building) and is squeezed onto the worst lot ever. The sought-after southern view is mostly blocked by Plaza Midtown, and the northern view gives you a great view of Checkers burger shop and 2 gigantic microwave towers. The worst crime is the fact the they replicated the suburban matchbox type house design into what could've been a beautiful highrise. You know those tightly spaced homes in the burbs with a pretty brick facade and 3-side siding? They put a pretty glass front facing north and the remaining 3 sides are solid concreate blandness that ironically screams out, "look how ugly I am!!!". Poor Plaza Midtown owners that have to face this royal piece of mistake.
Fortunately for us, criticism of this kind is purely subjective. I happen to love the way Aqua looks from all four sides. It does so many things well, too: maximizes built area on the lot, engages the street level, and provides upscale housing in Midtown. The argument that its surroundings are disappointing will be nullified within the next 10 years, as I'm sure those lots will be developed into other things. In fact, the south and west sides of the building itself could eventually be covered up as well, since those lots remain undeveloped.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
Fortunately for us, criticism of this kind is purely subjective. I happen to love the way Aqua looks from all four sides. It does so many things well, too: maximizes built area on the lot, engages the street level, and provides upscale housing in Midtown. The argument that its surroundings are disappointing will be nullified within the next 10 years, as I'm sure those lots will be developed into other things. In fact, the south and west sides of the building itself could eventually be covered up as well, since those lots remain undeveloped.
Yup, it's subjective alright. People have the right to love cheap, mediocre, unfinished look that sticks out like a sore thumb. The massive solid parking deck walls and the equally solid and drab back wall bring joy to pedestrians all alike. As far as myself and all my friends are concerned (some are in the architecture field), we all share a common sentiment that aqua is just plain fugly. Ok, wait, I'll be fair - Aqua is only 75% fugly. The front facade looks nice.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 7:00 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
As far as myself and all my friends are concerned (some are in the architecture field), we all share a common sentiment that aqua is just plain fugly. Ok, wait, I'll be fair - Aqua is only 75% fugly. The front facade looks nice.
How many of your friends in the "architecture field" would call the Pantheon fugly? It has three sides that are solid masonry walls and not at all engaging to the street...

I guess in the world today if it isn't floor-to-ceiling glass with emphasized vertical mullions then people think it's ugly. So much for diversity in architecture.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
How many of your friends in the "architecture field" would call the Pantheon fugly? It has three sides that are solid masonry walls and not at all engaging to the street...
Let's talk about that in another 2000 years. Perhaps then, Aqua might be one of the national treasures and loved by visitors from all over. By then, there should be remnants of a large mural with Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Jackson on the back wall.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Yup, it's subjective alright. People have the right to love cheap, mediocre, unfinished look that sticks out like a sore thumb. The massive solid parking deck walls and the equally solid and drab back wall bring joy to pedestrians all alike. As far as myself and all my friends are concerned (some are in the architecture field), we all share a common sentiment that aqua is just plain fugly. Ok, wait, I'll be fair - Aqua is only 75% fugly. The front facade looks nice.
The merits of this project notwithstanding, the the street-facing facade is the only side you SHOULD care about in an urban context. Sides and rears aren't meant to be seen. One day there will be a building next to it.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
The merits of this project notwithstanding, the the street-facing facade is the only side you SHOULD care about in an urban context. Sides and rears aren't meant to be seen. One day there will be a building next to it.
Yep, apart from the few Fairly Poplar blocks in Downtown, Atlanta hardly has two buildings side by side... not very urban.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 2:13 AM
roma volo

i really don't care if a building is of a bland design, as long as it brings density to the area. what the developers should bring back are the murals that once dotted the city. think of something pretty off the side of aqua, that'd be charming.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Which is why I'm a big Tivoli fan. Even Mezzo appeared to be zero-lot-lined that last time I saw it.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Mar 12, 2008 at 7:38 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 2:06 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Atlantan View Post
Yep, apart from the few Fairly Poplar blocks in Downtown, Atlanta hardly has two buildings side by side... not very urban.
There are plenty of side-by-side buildings Downtown, even outside of Fairlie-Poplar. Walk around Downtown and you can see blocks of buildings next to each other.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
There are plenty of side-by-side buildings Downtown, even outside of Fairlie-Poplar. Walk around Downtown and you can see blocks of buildings next to each other.
Fairlie enough.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 7:28 PM

Nice building, but is that 1,000ft tall transmitter the one for WXIA 11Alive? I knwo they are moving their offices after the Olympics this summer.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
Nice building, but is that 1,000ft tall transmitter the one for WXIA 11Alive? I knwo they are moving their offices after the Olympics this summer.
That's the Turner Broadcasting tower. WXIA's tower is over off DeKalb Ave

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
I keep hoping they'll decide to tear this down and build a 1,000'+ tall building here. This would be the best location because it already has something that tall and it's on top of a ridge so it would look even bigger!!!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Its on a freakin corner!!!!!! The building is seen from all four sides, even if they were to build towers next to it, you will still see two sides of the building. Also, this is not downtown, nor is it New York. This is Midtown, and I doubt there will ever be buildings touching each other. It doesn't have to be for it to still accomplish an urban atmosphere. As far as the hideous back of the building, that we at Plaza Midtown always have to see, when driving up West Peachtree St., this is the only side of the building you will ever see.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 12:44 AM

Aqua, Sunday, along with other recently completely Midtown Atlanta projects:

Shot with Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL at 2008-03-16

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 3:55 AM

I understand from my loan officer that Aqua is not 90% or higher sold and/or occupied but less than 62% changing my whole vision of the purchase. Is the building worth the extras they are selling? In fact, the interiors look llike a high end IKEA and we all know that is below Walmart. No Custom all Prefab and the Sales are not down because of the market this was uncovered before the market slump. Someone help. Anyone else seeing the product not as high end as promised?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive