HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 1:18 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Considering that the bucks coming in from TSN have put the CFL on a solid footing for the first time in 30 years+, I don't think the CFL really has a right to complain. Let's face it, the league could have easily struck a TV deal with CBC or Global. There's a reason why they didn't.
The CFL is the biggest reason that I keep subscribing to cable and TSN. That's why it's not free (not because of me, I mean, but because there are many like me).

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
The CFL is the biggest reason that I keep subscribing to cable and TSN. That's why it's not free (not because of me, I mean, but because there are many like me).
You might be right. If the CFL were on FTA TV, I would have cut the cord by now.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 3:55 AM

It's the large growing number of cord nevers the CFL should be concerned about. They have grown up with the technology of getting content through alternative methods so when they leave the nest cable TV really means nothing to them.

And if they are even more savvy and live in a larger city they'll know that a set of old time rabbit ears will pick up an uncompressed HD signal (better than cable) and gain more programming "free" that way.

Just saw some numbers for one company's cable offering under the basic and pick and pay package. They are charging $17.95 for over 30 channels including all the major Canadian and US networks: CBC, CTV, Global, CHCH, CITYTV, TVO, CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox and PBS.

Then you can choose any 20 channels for $30.00/month and add any additional channel for $1.50/channel.

If this sets the bar for the rest of the cable outlets I would be happy to have it as an option even though I will likely remain a cord cutter.

Part of the reason for the recent media layoffs is anticipation of losing subscribers when the above goes down early next year.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
There aren't going to be a lot of Argo fans sad to see Rudge go
I don't know a whole lot about Rudge but it appeared that his hands were basically tied. I do know that the Argos are getting a young, smart, and successful business man with great knowledge of the CFL. I would imagine it cost the new ownership quite a bit to bring in Copeland which bodes well in future spending and marketing for the Argos. I heard that the Argos are planning to have American style tailgating set up around BMO Field. I'm sure it won't be as crazy as say Buffalo but it seems like a good idea to start getting a younger crowd base.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 4:43 PM

Totally random I know, but doesn't Chris Jones just have one of those really punchable faces? Kind of reminds me of Phil Kessel in that regard.

It's actually crazy how much he looks, acts, and in fairness, wins like his mentor Don Matthews.

source: winnipegfreepress.com

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 5:07 PM

^Totally agree with the Don Matthews reference.

It's too bad that Winnipeg out priced themselves and couldn't hit the 40,000 mark because endzone seating in both ends would have turned IGF into a great bowl stadium.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 5:12 PM

^ Those temp seats were mostly full for the Banjo Bowl and the effect was pretty cool... usually CFL stadiums tend to be really wide open (partly owing to the big field making wraparound seating somewhat impractical), but the temp seats create a nice closed-in, somewhat intimate feeling.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 6:39 PM

Ha, it's funny, I looked at the photo and thought "that's Rick Campbell not Chris Jones" then I realized the photo had to be scrolled over.

Yes, Jones does have one of those faces (he does look like the Don). What was Matthew's line? "This (team) is a dictatorship not a democracy and I'm the Big Dick".

I hate Edmonton's management and their players, they're not the same classy organization they used to be.

From the jerk who wouldn't shake hands at the coin toss, to the team missing the national anthem at a game, and to Ed (send him back to Compton) Hervey who crucified Simeon Rottier in public, they're classless.

If he was dead, Norm Kimball (the Eskimo Way) would be spinning in his grave.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 6:45 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

I always thought Chris Jones resembled this guy - somewhat in appearance, and definitely in speech.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
I don't know a whole lot about Rudge but it appeared that his hands were basically tied.
I'd say so, and you can probably include the present BC Lion management as well. Look at how depressed this young lady is.

Don't hang your head there are better days ahead.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I hate Edmonton's management and their players, they're not the same classy organization they used to be.

From the jerk who wouldn't shake hands at the coin toss, to the team missing the national anthem at a game, and to Ed (send him back to Compton) Hervey who crucified Simeon Rottier in public, they're classless.

If he was dead, Norm Kimball (the Eskimo Way) would be spinning in his grave.
Eskimos used to be classy winners like the Montreal Canadiens of old. Which in a way made you hate them even more. Now they're mostly a bunch of DBs, and I don't mean defensive backs.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 7:08 PM

Quote:
I'd say so, and you can probably include the present BC Lion management as well. Look at how depressed this young lady is.

There, there!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 8:55 PM

Quote:
and to Ed (send him back to Compton) Hervey who crucified Simeon Rottier in public, they're classless.
Somebody who posts this calling others classless.

It is always hilarious to see the inferiority complex Winnipeg residents have when it comes to anything and everything, though. When the Esks have won, other fans have always called this organization classless, arrogant and every other name under the sun; your revisionist history doesn't check out.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkd View Post
It is always hilarious to see the inferiority complex Winnipeg residents have when it comes to anything and everything, though. When the Esks have won, other fans have always called this organization classless, arrogant and every other name under the sun; your revisionist history doesn't check out.
So those things I mentioned didn't happen? Who's revisionist now? Don't know what Winnipeg has to do with me, I'm on the other side of the country.

Who's calling them classless when they won? I'm calling them classless in the present. You do know what the Eskimo Way is don't you? These clods ain't it.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 11:43 AM

I'll be cheering the Eskies. I like quite a few of their players. The coach by all indications is an asshole though based on his past behaviour.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I thought it was the result of simsubbing rules, i.e. if you put the game on a cable channel like TSN, then the FOX or CBS or whatever other American feed has the US commercials instead of the Canadian ones? Is that not still the case?
Depends on your carrier. Bell still simsubs TSN games over the US networks, but Shaw does not. Sports only has to be simsubbed on Networks, not sports channels... but apparently it's up to the service provider, and Bell owns TSN, thus they simsub over NBC for SNF.

My best guess about the CFL only on TSN has to be an inside deal with the providers to keep it exclusive to subscription TV thus keeping people paying to watch it. The NFL deal might be different, I'd be willing to bet that the NFL makes CTV broadcast a portion of their games on broadcast television. Aside from ESPN (MNF) & NFL Network (TNF)... all their games can be picked up with an antenna in the US.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 4:56 PM

Quote:

I'll console her if she needs it! Wowzers!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 1:27 PM

Is anyone else going to be paying attention to the Vanier Cup tomorrow? I'm glad to see that there are emerging teams such as BC and Montreal and it's not the annual Laval vs. Calgary. Not too sure what's happened with the Huskies over the past few years.

I like Sportsnet's coverage (can't believe I'm saying that) but I liked the years before where the Vanier Cup was linked with the Grey Cup.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 2:24 PM

A few days ago, there were about 1000 tickets to go for a Sell-out for the Grey Cup. Does anyone know if it has sold out yet? Thank you kindly in advance.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
A few days ago, there were about 1000 tickets to go for a Sell-out for the Grey Cup. Does anyone know if it has sold out yet? Thank you kindly in advance.
No they haven't, there are about 300 or left which they'll probably just give away. Stubhub had a pile of activity over the past week with prices dropping which is why they have had a little trouble with the remaining few tickets.

She'll be a full house.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada