HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arhavel View Post

I was looking at these pics and the Ice House is actually getting built on the far left side of this photos near the pipes in the fenced/raised area. Shouldn't be long; I saw dirt moving a couple of weeks ago.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 4:39 PM
robert die katze

Wow. Thanks for the update! Looks great.

I'd been wondering about this. I drove by a few days ago but didn't have time to stop and check out the progress.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2009, 1:29 AM

We were down in the Pearl area and I noticed this building is on floor five or six. From earlier posts it sounded like it was going to mostly be a garage, but the garage looked like it only took up about half of the structure.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2009, 4:56 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
We were down in the Pearl area and I noticed this building is on floor five or six. From earlier posts it sounded like it was going to mostly be a garage, but the garage looked like it only took up about half of the structure.
It's a mixed-use building with retail, office, residential, etc.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 8:48 PM

Update photos of Pearl, photos taken by me.

In the last two photos, you can see that the Ice House is pretty much on the river. I think that this is the first "new" development on the banks of the Museum Reach.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 9:58 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Last time I was at the pearl (2 weeks ago I think) the ice house was a hole in the ground.

I'm glad the pearl is finally getting some of the river-oriented part of the complex going.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2010, 4:33 AM

Has anyone heard anything on what kind of restaurant the Ice House is going to be and who might be behind it? It sounds like a burger and brisket place.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2010, 2:59 PM

The only details I have:

Quote:
Applicant is requesting permission to:
Engage in new construction on a currently unoccupied parcel of land at the northwest corner
of the Pearl Brewery Development for an indoor / outdoor restaurant with a wood-fired grill.
The building’s design and materials will be simple, in keeping with the industrial history of the
site and the general area, utilizing brick, corrugated metal siding and standing seam roof.
Large landscaped outdoor patio areas will overlook the falls at the newly completed turn
basin.
Not sure how I got on this page on the Pearl website, but it looks like it was originally intended to go on the lot behind Liberty Bar.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2010, 11:14 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

The crane is down...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 12:32 AM

Got some details out of this article from bizjournals.com

Quote:
Pearl redevelopment gains more culinary clout

Silver Ventures, which is redeveloping the site of the former Pearl Brewery just north of downtown, says it has named Shelley Grieshaber to the newly-created position of director of culinary operations.

Silver Ventures officials say this move is a reflection of San Antonio’s growing presence as a food destination.

Grieshaber was formerly the director of education at The Culinary Institute of America, which is one of the anchors of the Pearl Brewery redevelopment project. In 2005, she was recruited by Silver Ventures to open the Center for Foods of the Americas, a culinary school initially developed in collaboration with the Culinary Institute of America. That school eventually became the third Culinary Institute of America campus in 2008.

The Pearl development currently houses a weekly farmer’s market and multiple restaurants, including the Sandbar Fish House and Market and the Texas Farm-to-Table Café. In addition, work has begun on a new dining establishment, La Gloria, which will be situated along the San Antonio River.

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sa...5/daily32.html
I guess that answers the question as to what the "Ice House" will be.

Quote:
Located on the San Antonio River as part of the Pearl Brewery complex, La Gloria will feature street foods from all over Mexico, based on Hernandez's meticulous research from travels over the years.
quote from mysa.com
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
I guess that answers the question as to what the "Ice House" will be.
Seems like it, but maybe not. Wouldn't they just have called it "La Gloria" instead of "Ice House"? Also, they mentioned a wood burning oven. That doesn't really say Mexican street food to me. Maybe La Gloria is going to be in the Full Goods buidling? Although, if it will truly try to make the first quarter the work would be visible, which sounds like the Ice House.

The Express news also mentioned:
Quote:
Her priorities are bringing more area growers to the Saturday farmers market and to begin a mobile vending program — high-end cuisine in food trucks that can serve customers at accessible prices on the Pearl property or go to other parts of the city.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...p_changes.html

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 3:16 PM

Creating a great culinary base at the Pearl is definitely a cool phase of this project. And, while I understand its necessary to create this and other amenities before real residential development can be successful, I am growing weary of the Pearl's original new urbanism and multi-economic residential roots.

Maybe the case is that this development isn't an organic one - decisions to build are by internal board members trying to create a community. While restaurants like Il Sogno, The Sandbar, and Texas Farm to Table are great establishments, I don't see them as signs of a multi-income development. Perhaps this La Gloria place will be more affordable and accessible. Maybe the multi-income aspect will come into play when the development is more accessible in public transportation. There's just something odd when someone like me, an avid urbanist who is continuously looking on information on new urbanist projects, cannot find information, or the broad plan, of the Pearl. There's something secretive about its evolution, and I'd like there to be more community involvement.

It also, thus far, seems to cater to one demographic (with Melissa Guerra's outrageously expensive Mexican-imports, to Aveda, and all the high-class restaurants). I don't see current evidence, future plans, or heard of Pearl officials speak about development that has children, teenagers, or older people in mind. Just something to think about.

I love the Pearl development, and the revitalization and adaptive-reuse it stands for. I'm just trying to open a different dialogue -- one that asks what the implications are for this kind of inorganic community building (how will surrounding property rates be affected), and what can be done to make sure it is accessible to multi-economic and demographic people, in residence and commerce. I want to see the Pearl thrive on these aspects so much. And I cannot wait until I can walk around the border and see Il Sogno in relative proximity to some Jalisco taqueria, a Chris Madrid's-like burger place, and a man selling paletas on a bicycle -- because that is diversity.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 11:56 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:

It also, thus far, seems to cater to one demographic (with Melissa Guerra's outrageously expensive Mexican-imports, to Aveda, and all the high-class restaurants). I don't see current evidence, future plans, or heard of Pearl officials speak about development that has children, teenagers, or older people in mind. Just something to think about.
And I cannot wait until I can walk around the border and see Il Sogno in relative proximity to some Jalisco taqueria, a Chris Madrid's-like burger place, and a man selling paletas on a bicycle -- because that is diversity.
Couldn't agree more. The only thing there right now that even remotely appeals to multiple demographics is the Twig bookstore.

There is Timbo's burgers across 281, but that's not technically in the pearl complex.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Creating a great culinary base at the Pearl is definitely a cool phase of this project. And, while I understand its necessary to create this and other amenities before real residential development can be successful, I am growing weary of the Pearl's original new urbanism and multi-economic residential roots.

Maybe the case is that this development isn't an organic one - decisions to build are by internal board members trying to create a community. While restaurants like Il Sogno, The Sandbar, and Texas Farm to Table are great establishments, I don't see them as signs of a multi-income development. Perhaps this La Gloria place will be more affordable and accessible. Maybe the multi-income aspect will come into play when the development is more accessible in public transportation. There's just something odd when someone like me, an avid urbanist who is continuously looking on information on new urbanist projects, cannot find information, or the broad plan, of the Pearl. There's something secretive about its evolution, and I'd like there to be more community involvement.

I love the Pearl development, and the revitalization and adaptive-reuse it stands for. I'm just trying to open a different dialogue -- one that asks what the implications are for this kind of inorganic community building (how will surrounding property rates be affected), and what can be done to make sure it is accessible to multi-economic and demographic people, in residence and commerce. I want to see the Pearl thrive on these aspects so much. And I cannot wait until I can walk around the border and see Il Sogno in relative proximity to some Jalisco taqueria, a Chris Madrid's-like burger place, and a man selling paletas on a bicycle -- because that is diversity.
Not disagreeing with you, just adding to the dialogue.
And with that dialogue, I have questions of my own:
Is this a private development or a public project?
As far as diversity, there is plenty around there; Pig Stand, Timbo's, Sam's Burger Joint, a couple of Mexican food places, and if you don't like those, there are a few other places on St. Mary's.
I see what you're saying about the current tenants; however, which one is it: do locals want a new place to eat? or a place to work? Which would help the neighboring communities out more? Who'd be more likely to live nearby? A couple eating there once a month? or a couple of employees that work there 5-6 days a week?
I can't comment too much on it possibly raising property values, none of us know that impact yet and the living spaces are not that much higher than market value; all 8 of them. Personally, I think that any kind of rail transit on Broadway will have a bigger impact on property values than this will.
They may have been trying to satisfy too many people in the beginning, but I don't think that it is up to one project to satisfy all. There is plenty of room for additional develompent along Broadway and there's no telling what that may bring. You can't judge an entire neighborhood for one project; there is a place for everything in the larger picture.
This is only the start, and although you may think it is "inorganic" the rest of the neighboring properties and develompents that pop up afterwards will be organic (unless every single property within a mile radius is bought up by Silver Ventures/Rio Perla.) And then, we will have diversity.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Not disagreeing with you, just adding to the dialogue.
And with that dialogue, I have questions of my own:
Is this a private development or a public project?
As far as diversity, there is plenty around there; Pig Stand, Timbo's, Sam's Burger Joint, a couple of Mexican food places, and if you don't like those, there are a few other places on St. Mary's.
I see what you're saying about the current tenants; however, which one is it: do locals want a new place to eat? or a place to work? Which would help the neighboring communities out more? Who'd be more likely to live nearby? A couple eating there once a month? or a couple of employees that work there 5-6 days a week?
I can't comment too much on it possibly raising property values, none of us know that impact yet and the living spaces are not that much higher than market value; all 8 of them. Personally, I think that any kind of rail transit on Broadway will have a bigger impact on property values than this will.
They may have been trying to satisfy too many people in the beginning, but I don't think that it is up to one project to satisfy all. There is plenty of room for additional develompent along Broadway and there's no telling what that may bring. You can't judge an entire neighborhood for one project; there is a place for everything in the larger picture.
This is only the start, and although you may think it is "inorganic" the rest of the neighboring properties and develompents that pop up afterwards will be organic (unless every single property within a mile radius is bought up by Silver Ventures/Rio Perla.) And then, we will have diversity.
Man, that is an excellent, excellent response to a really thick-headed post by arhavel. To address that post directly:

First, the Pearl project has been quite open to the community about their plans. They've provided very clear information about the project since they announced it (many years ago). One of the great things about this project is that they've wanted it to develop "organically", without being constrained by a rigid, inflexible plan that couldn't respond sensibly as the project developed over time. There's nothing "secretive" about its evolution. Rather, the Pearl is doing just that - evolving as it develops.

But really, Silver has no obligation to 'community involvement'. Silver has done bold work and committed massive financial resources to build this project thus far. There's not a single company (or person) in this city who would have had the courage to take on a project like this. And, thus far, the results have been wonderful, particularly when contrasted with the condition of the site before Silver acquired it.

In that context, the idea that people with no financial stake in this project have the right to more 'involvement' is childish. And complaining about imagined defects (mostly relating to abstract concepts like 'diversity') of the most ambitious urban project in this city is, frankly, unproductive.

If it seems like Pearl is catering to 'one demographic', it's because new buildings (almost always) cost more money than purchasing old buildings. And retrofitting old buildings (almost always) costs more than new buildings. Good urbanism costs serious money; there's simply no way around that. Complaining that the retailers/tenants that have opened thus far are too expensive completely misses the point. When places like the Pearl are proven to be viable (for residents, office tenants, and retail business owners), they will attract more residents, and more office tenants, and more retail business owners. This is precisely how great neighborhoods grow. If you want good urbanism in San Antonio, you should be cheering for these retailers to succeed, even if you think Melissa Guerra wants too much money for a spatula (I love and support that store, just to be clear).

By the way, you can get a killer pizza at Sogno for $6 and a bowl of awesome clam chowder at Sandbar for $7. And, as Miaht82 pointed out, there are plenty of burger & taco joints within walking distance (and you're not really suggesting SA doesn't have enough tacquerias and burger joints, are you?).

If you don't think Pearl has "children, teenagers, or older people" in mind, you've obviously not spent much time around the project (a visit to any Saturday Farmer's Market should correct this). And you're worried about "surrounding property rates"? Seriously? Have you walked around the area and seen the condition of the adjacent and nearby properties? And you're criticizing what Silver is doing at the Pearl? Seriously??? A quick walk by the Valero at Josephine/Broadway or the Alamo Motor Lodge should remedy that.

If you're truly trying to ask "what the implications are" for the type of development underway at Pearl (though I don't think you are), it's a simple answer: the implications of the Pearl development is that 22 acres of inactive industrial land is now home to a world-renowned culinary school, a 10,000 sf Aveda institute, 3 new restaurants, 11 apartments, a 500-person events center, and 50,000 sf of office space, and the first serious farmer's market in our city. And that's just in the first 5 years.

I think it's obvious that the Pearl has given us ample reason to be excited about (as opposed to apprehensive of) what comes next.

Chad.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 1:41 AM

Well said Chad. It's a shame when people are so pessimistic, it really is.

Anyway...The Pearl is already changing that area for the better. Just wait in 5-7 more years, it will be completely different.

The Farmer's Market has taken off and will surely get larger with the "green movement" of our generation; one that is finally starting to happen in SA. I visit the market at least 3 Saturdays each month and it's really awesome. The great thing is that it's not just a bunch of tourists and visitors, but all types of people who live here; young, old, gay, straight, rich, middle class, students, professionals, etc.

I encourage anyone who has not checked out the Pearl, do so now! I guarantee you will enjoy it.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 4:59 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

What's really going to be great about the Farmers Market is when they build the actual dedicated space and move out of the parking lot.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
What's really going to be great about the Farmers Market is when they build the actual dedicated space and move out of the parking lot.
Is that really the plan, or are you just guessing?

I kind of wondered if they might have to move once the place starts to fill up. Can it really be in a dedicated space for only one day a week?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 6:25 AM

^Yeah, aren't farmer's markets supposed to be in parking lots? I've never been to one with a dedicated space. Seems like a waste, unless they're always there.

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 6:15 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Is there a long term plan to term the farmers market into a 7-days-a-week market?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio