HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 9:28 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

That's the last I heard as well.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 10:03 PM

Legros & Motti are pretty much confirmed. PF Chang was semi-confirmed but not 100%

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 10:15 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We ordered Domino's Pizza tonight and the delivery driver recognized me from the Hilton news story. He also works in construction and reads this forum but he's a lurker - so I told him he should join. So, pizza construction dude... JOIN!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 10:19 PM

Oh man, that's great! See, this is why Domino's is amazing. Now lurker, join so we can call you by a real name

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
We ordered Domino's Pizza tonight and the delivery driver recognized me from the Hilton news story. He also works in construction and reads this forum but he's a lurker - so I told him he should join. So, pizza construction dude... JOIN!
You're a celebrity!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Legros & Motti are pretty much confirmed. PF Chang was semi-confirmed but not 100%
Its 100% now, get your chop sticks ready.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 3:10 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Woohoo!

I really do love that strip of restaurants. It's very nice that there was room for them between Harbour Drive and the apron. It's sort of like a better, more urban equivalent of the harbourfront strip of canteen-style restaurants in other cities. I hope it'll have a lot of activity (balcony, etc.) on the harbour side.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Woohoo!

I really do love that strip of restaurants. It's very nice that there was room for them between Harbour Drive and the apron. It's sort of like a better, more urban equivalent of the harbourfront strip of canteen-style restaurants in other cities. I hope it'll have a lot of activity (balcony, etc.) on the harbour side.
The balcony is fantasic, saw the plans and will be great for a summer day enjoying a steak and beverage, will be much bigger than current Keg balcony, Whole building should be around 17000 square feet I believe, The Keg is about 8. I could be mistaken but the balcony might end up being 5000 but that was something I heard back when it first went public a few years ago.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 9:46 PM

Council notes for this evening:

- The Hilton is first up.
- Debbie Hanlon notes a positive response from constituents about the hotel
- Hickman thinks more hotels makes sense for us
- The next step is for the project to go to a public meeting (HINT: You guys will be there)
- A few questions about traffic access
- Tilley says there's a need for about another 600 rooms to accommodate the tourist season
- Council approves waiving of the height restriction!!

Nothing else is really notable, but big steps towards the hotel!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 9:55 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Excellent. Now all we need is a re-design.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 9:59 PM

ok so NTV just said that harbour drive will be closed for a while to put UP a construction crane for a development :S I'm positive she didn't say take down, and she said most likely the west end .. so i'm confused

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 10:02 PM

It's for the 351 crane removal. I never watch NTV news for many reasons, their silly mistakes like that being one of them

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
- Tilley says there's a need for about another 600 rooms to accommodate the tourist season
If they know the need is there for 600 more hotel rooms for the tourist season (most of which is strictly downtown) and a 12 story hotel provides 150 rooms, why doesn't the city go to the developer and ask them to build a 20 story hotel instead of 12 to keep more rooms directly in the downtown? It's on a valuable piece of land that can keep tourists in the downtown within walking distances of most places they will be going.

This whole "fear of height" thing has got to stop. If it makes practical economic sense to build a larger hotel on a valuable piece of land when there is a dire need for more hotel rooms, why isn't the city approaching the developers to add height? This is why I think there should be height/floor minimums in the west end.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 12:03 PM

good good good- not going to lie though i would have probably rathered a 17 story hotel downtown instead of 6 stories on kenmount but all the same good

Green Light Given on Sandman Hotel
Quote:
Northwood Properties has been given the go-ahead to build a hotel on Kenmount Road. St. John's city council unanimously approved the site-specific amendments in order to allow the 6-storey building last night. The Sandman Hotel, which will be located next to Tim Hortons near the Team Gushue Highway, will have 200 rooms, two restaurants, meeting and banquet rooms and one free-standing restaurant. Councillor Bruce Tilley says the city needs 600 rooms to accommodate peak tourism season and visitors to the new convention centre. Currently, Tilley says there are 2000 rooms available when including bed and breakfasts, but he says that won't be enough.

There will be a public hearing on the property on March 26th at city hall.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...31641&latest=1

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 12:07 PM

Former owner of Battery Hotel pleased with sale

Quote:
The former owner of the Battery Hotel said Monday he’s thrilled the site is now under Memorial University ownership.
“I’m very pleased with the sale,” Rick Butler told The Telegram on Monday, the first time the Nova Scotia-raised, now California-based hotel developer has spoken publicly about the sale. Memorial University announced late last year it was buying the hotel on Signal Hill, and the deal officially closed late last week for $9.5 million.
“I’ve supported it. I was a prof at Memorial for three years back in the ’70s.”
Butler bought the hotel — which opened in 1970 — in 2005, and planned to tear it down and build a new 10-storey hotel, but didn’t get development approval. He said his former plans for the site are inconsequential now, and he’s happy to have the university take over.
“It doesn’t matter now. That’s all in the past,” said Butler. “(St. John’s city) council was actually quite supportive. We didn’t get to the point of making the final formal application to council. … Dennis O’Keefe, and then before Dennis O’Keefe, Andy Wells, both were quite supportive, but we didn’t make an application to council for the hotel plans we had in mind. We had some neighbourhood opposition, which is inevitable for any new development. We did have some of that.”
Butler said the sale is good not just for him and the university, but also for the province.
“This isn’t just any site. This is Signal Hill. That’s what’s involved here. It’s an icon, a local icon,” he said. “To have Memorial University of Newfoundland involved in the future of this important site, it’s a wonderful thing. We’re very pleased about it.”
Memorial president and vice-chancellor Gary Kachanoski told The Telegram the acquisition addresses some of the university’s most pressing needs for space, and will give the school “a more tangible and dynamic presence in downtown St. John’s.” Documents obtai-ned by The Telegram also indicate the provincial government has authorized Memorial to spend up to $16.2 million on repairs and alterations to the building.
http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...ed-with-sale/1

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
good good good- not going to lie though i would have probably rathered a 17 story hotel downtown instead of 6 stories on kenmount but all the same good

Green Light Given on Sandman Hotel

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...31641&latest=1
Is there a LUAR or some pics of the hotel? If so, we should add a project thread for this development.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Is there a LUAR or some pics of the hotel? If so, we should add a project thread for this development.
I can't find any

Looking at their other locations and their brands, they have many hotels across Canada however the Sandman Signature is their high end brand (from what I can tell) and there are only 6 in Canada and none east of Toronto, not even Montreal

Even their Inn & suits brands are not in Atlantic Canada

so YAY nice to see businesses chose here for their first location in this part of the country

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I can't find any

Looking at their other locations and their brands, they have many hotels across Canada however the Sandman Signature is their high end brand (from what I can tell) and there are only 6 in Canada and none east of Toronto, not even Montreal

Even their Inn 7 suits brands are not in Atlantic Canada

so YAY nice to see businesses chose here for their first location in this part of the country
I guess once a LUAR is released we can add the project thread.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 12:56 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

March 5, 2013

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Mar 5, 2013 at 1:11 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 7:19 PM

Quote:
I can't find any

Even their Inn & suits brands are not in Atlantic Canada

Good to see that we are someone's first choice

I would imagine that it is the Inn and Suites brand seeing how Kenmount Road isn't really a desirable location for an upscale hotel. But even so, the hotel is going to be pretty big! (3rd biggest in the city, I believe?)

But like you said, I would have much preferred a 17 story hotel in the west end of DT than a 6 story hotel on kenmount road, but maybe we'll see a larger, taller hotel in the downtown eventually

Oh, and Signal, I love the pictures this morning, especially that west end skyline shot! Even at this time last year that shot would have been very empty! Great to see our two biggest projects well on their way to completion! Keep up the awesome work

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's