HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 1:35 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
There is no height restriction for the post office block north of the park.
Who's the current owner of that block? Every time I drive by there I feel sympathy for the Republicans' "government always screws up" line of thinking. They're not entirely right, but they're not entirely wrong. It would be an interesting design if the objective were to cover a block in concrete in such a way as to minimize utility and generate confusion as to its purpose for existing. And, admittedly, that does describe a lot of what governments do. Special nod to the Army Corps of Engineers for their work on eradicating natural waterways in the Los Angeles basin. Hmm, maybe that's where the post office design originated.

Back to 3rd and Shoal, I'm going to go out on a limb and bet that many of you will be posting comments about how it's "not as bad as I feared it would be" when all is said and done. And I will literally eat a crow if I'm wrong, provided that one of you provides the crow and assures me that it's safe to eat.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
Who's the current owner of that block? Every time I drive by there I feel sympathy for the Republicans' "government always screws up" line of thinking. They're not entirely right, but they're not entirely wrong. It would be an interesting design if the objective were to cover a block in concrete in such a way as to minimize utility and generate confusion as to its purpose for existing. And, admittedly, that does describe a lot of what governments do. Special nod to the Army Corps of Engineers for their work on eradicating natural waterways in the Los Angeles basin. Hmm, maybe that's where the post office design originated.

Back to 3rd and Shoal, I'm going to go out on a limb and bet that many of you will be posting comments about how it's "not as bad as I feared it would be" when all is said and done. And I will literally eat a crow if I'm wrong, provided that one of you provides the crow and assures me that it's safe to eat.
Endeavor (the Bowie developers) own the site. But I don't comprehend your political statement about the site.

I completely agree with you about Third and Shoal. The setbacks, terraces and color make it a pretty cool building. I'm not jumping on the "EEEEEEW" band wagon for that one.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 4:59 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
...I don't comprehend your political statement about the site.
I barely comprehend most of what I think and say, so I understand the confusion. I think what I was trying to say is that it's a poorly thought out use of that land, and not the sort of use that would occur under private ownership. The fact that it will have had such a short life just adds to the ineptness of the thing.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 5:02 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
That's amazing...I had no idea they could do that on that scale. Now here's a challenge - what about adding floors from the bottom, pushing the rest of the building upward in order to keep the current crown?
I doubt that's doable since buildings aren't just standing flat on the ground. Their foundations are drilled in - sometimes 70 feet down. There would be no way to raise it since it would be more akin to uprooting a tree.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 12:04 AM
World Traveler

I was hoping for more of a "well, actually there was this one time..."

But it was a pipe dream nonetheless.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 12:35 AM
Meh

The closest thing to that is what the Chrysler Building did while under construction. It was in a height race with 40 Wall Street.

As the two buildings neared completion, 40 Wall Street actually beat the Chrysler Building by 2 feet. It's 2 feet taller to the top of the spire than the Chrysler Buildings roof. But the builders of the Chrysler Building had a trick up their sleeve. They constructed the spire of the building inside the crown and jacked the spire up through the roof which exceeded the height of 40 Wall Street. It didn't matter much, though, because the Chrysler Building itself was beat a year later by the Empire State Building, and the ESB reigned supreme for 40 years until the WTC was built.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 1:50 AM
World Traveler

I have a hard time imagining the Chrysler Building without a spire.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 8:07 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

If they aren't going to incorporate a music venue into this building at least comparitable in size to the AMH then I would hope a new one is built in the same area.

Speaking of which, they are still booking shows and concerts so that tells me that this isn't going to break ground anytime soon. We'll see in 6 months.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
If they aren't going to incorporate a music venue into this building at least comparitable in size to the AMH then I would hope a new one is built in the same area.

Speaking of which, they are still booking shows and concerts so that tells me that this isn't going to break ground anytime soon. We'll see in 6 months.
A music venue in that area is a must in my opinion. They should have worked it into the section with the Shoal Creek height setbacks. Maybe if a tower ever goes up at the Ballet Austin site, they'll explore a venue there. People living in Proper, Seaholm, Northshore, and Independent will need something to do after all.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post

A music venue in that area is a must in my opinion. They should have worked it into the section with the Shoal Creek height setbacks. Maybe if a tower ever goes up at the Ballet Austin site, they'll explore a venue there. People living in Proper, Seaholm, Northshore, and Independent will need something to do after all.
Do you think this could be achieved through some sort of zoning/ordinance or tax incentive deal from the city?

I am originally from Michigan, where tax incentives from the state and cities have been pretty common and, in my opinion, needed to bring life into depressed areas. Not sure how common this is in Austin and Texas in general, being that as a whole both of them have absolutely no problem attracting business activity.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 8:11 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadingpa View Post
Do you think this could be achieved through some sort of zoning/ordinance or tax incentive deal from the city?

I am originally from Michigan, where tax incentives from the state and cities have been pretty common and, in my opinion, needed to bring life into depressed areas. Not sure how common this is in Austin and Texas in general, being that as a whole both of them have absolutely no problem attracting business activity.

I'm not sure if there is one regarding music venues but maybe someone on here knows in more detail what the city is doing to preserve music venues or to help new ones start up.

To me it's a no brainer to have a music venue component built into an office building. Since its office, having a loud noisy concert or EDM show at night wouldn't bother anyone other than possibly a few security guards and janitors lol. Office buildings have no street interaction at night so that would make the area more active rather than just during the day.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 9:55 PM

Today is turning out to be a pretty big news day. Apparently plans have been finalized for this tower with demo beginning in February or March:

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/busi...ng-to-m/npZZB/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 10:36 PM
Meh

Cool. If this one rises before Austin Proper does then we should be able to see it up in the air a bit, at least before Austin Proper blocks it.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 1:33 AM

Bobby Dillard thinks having a highrise pretty much 50% parking and 50% office space and only 29 floors, and pretty much tucked in with a density of better looking towers to where you probably won't notice it from most vantage points, qualifies this as a signature tower for Austin. Really?!? This wouldn't even be a signature tower in Waco. All in all its just a...nother brick in the wall.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 6:09 AM
World Traveler

In all fairness, it might be signature in Waco.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 3:19 PM

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 8:07 PM

Why does it look like they are blocking pedestrian traffic with the palm trees from coming over the bridge? That area is just a turn around now.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwolf View Post
Why does it look like they are blocking pedestrian traffic with the palm trees from coming over the bridge? That area is just a turn around now.
I assume its in order to block vehicle traffic? That the bridge will only be walk/bike accessible.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 10:36 PM

Austin Proper is screwed. It looks like every balcony on the front will be visible from the office building which means very compromised privacy for prime units in the Proper. Also, it is not possible from these renderings to understand what is going on visually along the facing north/south walls of either building.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...erings.html#g6

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 10:55 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_guy View Post
Screenshots.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin