HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 8:04 PM

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen a drive-thru like that. I would expect that in SoCal, but I have yet to see anything like that here.

In fact, I know of an In-N-Out (in Glendale, CA) that's at the bottom of a parking structure, but it has no drive-thru; in fact it's the only In-N-Out I know of in southern California that DOESN'T have a drive-thru: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1457...4!8i8192?hl=en

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 8:09 PM
Never Dell

That's in a Dallas Doughnut, on the very car-dominated ass end a building that also has a good retail side. It only works when density is merited but the street level isn't THAT highly valued. The drive-through represents two ADDITIONAL driveway lanes entering and exiting.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9818...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 8:19 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen a drive-thru like that. I would expect that in SoCal, but I have yet to see anything like that here.

In fact, I know of an In-N-Out (in Glendale, CA) that's at the bottom of a parking structure, but it has no drive-thru; in fact it's the only In-N-Out I know of in southern California that DOESN'T have a drive-thru: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1457...4!8i8192?hl=en
According to In-N-Out website:
In-N-Out opens store #32 in Placentia, California which is the first of a handful without a drive-thru lane. As of 2012, five In-N-Out restaurants, all in California, are in this style: Laguna Hills, Mill Valley, Glendale and San Francisco - Fisherman's Wharf, as well as the original Placentia location.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 8:32 PM
Never Dell

I'm hungry. Let's head over to Placentia!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
According to In-N-Out website:
In-N-Out opens store #32 in Placentia, California which is the first of a handful without a drive-thru lane. As of 2012, five In-N-Out restaurants, all in California, are in this style: Laguna Hills, Mill Valley, Glendale and San Francisco - Fisherman's Wharf, as well as the original Placentia location.
Interesting... I've walked by the one in SF, and I realize I've driven by the one in Mill Valley---I just didn't realize it didn't have a drive-thru!

Placentia and Laguna Hills, I would have never guessed. Hehe when am I ever in Placentia or Laguna Hills??

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 9:29 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
That's in a Dallas Doughnut, on the very car-dominated ass end a building that also has a good retail side. It only works when density is merited but the street level isn't THAT highly valued. The drive-through represents two ADDITIONAL driveway lanes entering and exiting.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9818...7i16384!8i8192
Texas Doughnut and they make sense in a densifying but still very car dominated area. Here in Houston, they are replacing 50 year-old low density apartment complexes with a sea of surface lots surrounding with a structure where the parking structure is mostly concealed. Plus your car is more protected.

Still, a White Castle is a waste of space for pretty much any setting...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 5:18 PM

Quote:

There’s a McDonald’s in Glendale that does this.
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1531...7i16384!8i8192.

Here’s the layout of the drive thru that goes through the neighboring parking garage

There are two entrances to the drive thru:
One from Milford

and one from Orange

And here’s the exit on Central Ave

I personally don’t mind an urban drive thru as long as it utilizes space like this. There’s a Burger King across the street that takes up a lot of land with mostly unused parking spaces.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 7:02 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

I'm not sure how restaurants are supposed to survive without parking or drive-thu's in places that aren't exceptionally dense and urban. There wouldn't be enough customers in walking distance. There would have to be crazy amounts of infill to make that work and few cities have grown that fast. Maybe parts of central Denver or Portland have.

I wish planners and developers would stop pushing the perfect over the good and consider commercial development that's street fronting but has ample rear parking on side streets out in the rear. This is how older neighborhoods in Sunbelt/20th century vintage cities are arranged.

You can't turn LA into Brooklyn, but more of LA could look like Pasadena, perhaps?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Still, a White Castle is a waste of space for pretty much any setting...
You'd think differently when drunk at 3 AM.

In the South, Krystal serves kind of the same purpose. This particular one could be the most important building in New Orleans: The Bourbon St. Krystal. Like an oasis to a man dying of thirst after midnight. No drive-thru though.

https://reviewit247.com/krystal-new-...la-bourbon-st/

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 9:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Aside from gas stations, there are no drive thrus in Tokyo, Seoul or Shanghai. Strangely there are almost no overweight people either. I am sure it is just a coincidence.

I've filled up at the Bourbon St. Krystal on several occasions.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 10:58 PM

There's a McDonalds drive-through in Newark Ohio of all places that's hidden in a relatively urban infill building in the heart of downtown:

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 5:57 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Interesting... I've walked by the one in SF, and I realize I've driven by the one in Mill Valley---I just didn't realize it didn't have a drive-thru!

Placentia and Laguna Hills, I would have never guessed. Hehe when am I ever in Placentia or Laguna Hills??
The one by UCLA in Westwood also.

Seems like most of the new ones and other super popular chains that do heavy volume like Chic-fila and Canes have double drive throughs. Quite a few McD's also.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrenz View Post
There’s a McDonald’s in Glendale that does this.
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1531...7i16384!8i8192.
I didn't realize this McD's had a drive-thru; I've driven by it numerous times but just assumed it was on the ground floor of an office building with no drive-thru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
The one by UCLA in Westwood also.

Seems like most of the new ones and other super popular chains that do heavy volume like Chic-fila and Canes have double drive throughs. Quite a few McD's also.
I thought the one in Westwood had a drive-thru? Hmm...

~ Charles Bukowski

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions