HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 5:15 AM
Kodachrome

^ Uh, okay dude

I gave you my definition and also mentioned that anybody with
the right attitude can achieve theirs too. Lighten up.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2007, 2:52 AM
Future Mayor of Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
Not only is "the American dream" alive and well, they're building more of it than ever.

If I were to die and that was the next thing I saw I would know that I must be in hell.

"Auto-centric suburban sprawl is the devil physically manifesting himself in the built environment."

Old Posted Feb 18, 2007, 2:32 AM

Smaller metro's offer similar benefits as the more expensive cities for cheaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpexpress View Post
We all have seen the images of the white pickett fences and a red car in the drive way, nicely trimmed grass and a pretty hedge (for some reason that "Lets take on Orbitz" commercial comes to mind)

But lets be for real. The post-war baby boomer definition of "The American Dream" is out of date IMOP. It is becoming less and less affordable and desirable. Isolation, commute times, wasted materials, destruction of valuable farmlands and open space is all a by product to this so called DREAM.

In your opinion, what is the new Generation X American Dream?

It depends on where that Gen X'er chooses to live and work actually. If the intrepid Gen x'er wants to live in a place like New York or San Francisco then this person better have lots of money. And I mean inherited money. Many of those that reside in high dollar places like NY, SF and Miami Beach are of the type that were given their wealth. Ordinary people cannot compete with this type of wealth so you see millions flocking to less expensive locales like Dallas, San Antonio, Charlotte and Phoenix. These towns are markedly more affordable and offer all the wants and dreams of even the most choosy Gen X'ers.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2007, 11:44 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

^You're exaggerating to the point of absurdity.

This student-borrower Gen-Xer in San Francisco can assure you this is a working city where virtually everyone has a job and no inheritance in hand.

As for the idea that Dallas or Phoenix can offer "all the wants and dreams of even the most choosy Gen-Xers," that is ludicrous. Dallas and similar cities don't offer a liberal civil society in a high density, transit- and pedestrian-oriented cityscape with district after district of quality 19th century architecture set amidst steep hills and mountain slopes, with water on three sides, and a mild coastal climate. In Dallas, one cannot share a blanket and a bottle of wine with one's partner and watch the fiery sun set over the ocean blue, red rays glinting off gray Chinese barges, from a sandy beach served by light rail. But the "most choosy" Gen-Xers can...and we do.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2007, 9:00 PM
Future Mayor of Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
It depends on where that Gen X'er chooses to live and work actually. If the intrepid Gen x'er wants to live in a place like New York or San Francisco then this person better have lots of money. And I mean inherited money. Many of those that reside in high dollar places like NY, SF and Miami Beach are of the type that were given their wealth. Ordinary people cannot compete with this type of wealth so you see millions flocking to less expensive locales like Dallas, San Antonio, Charlotte and Phoenix. These towns are markedly more affordable and offer all the wants and dreams of even the most choosy Gen X'ers.
Ditto to what fflint said about that. You say that those sun belt cities offer everything that a "choosy" Gen X'er wants, well I say it depends on what you are "choosy" about. Sure if you are a person of average income and your priorities are to live in a 3000 square foot McMansion with a three car garage with an Escalade, have plasma screen tv's and wear all the latest designer clothing then living in a sun-belt city is ideal for your needs. However if your priorities are living in a vibrant urban and pedestrian oriented environment over everything else than someone of modest means can live in a mega city. Its complete garbage to say you have to have inherited wealth and be rich to live in NYC, alot of people who live there are clearly not that. I know for a fact that you can live in a great place and make very little. For any person to say they cant afford to live in Chicago and they are middle class just has material priorities and lifestyle preferences that are too difficult to maintain in the city on a modest income. If you prefer quantity over quality then move to the exurbs or to the sunbelt if you prefer quality over quantity then move to a dynamic city.

"Auto-centric suburban sprawl is the devil physically manifesting himself in the built environment."

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States