HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 1:51 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
^ If that wind turbine design had gotten built, it would look out of place with all of the supertalls that will rise on the skyline.
Say what you will, but it would have been much taller on the skyline.
What really bothered me about that particular design was that the observation deck was too far below instead of the roof.

But we managed to get a decent design.
Now the redesign of 2 WTC has SSP forumers up in arms over the design.

We went through this when they didn't simply rebuild the twin towers, just stronger and taller.

So now, here we are again, discussing the design.

Well, I'll just say one positive thing about it -- it's original.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 5:23 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
What really bothered me about that particular design was that the observation deck was too far below instead of the roof.

The version I was talking about had the observation deck at 1,776 ft (to meet Libeskind's designation) but rose to 2,000 ft or more. The buildings are much more solid now, and that's a good thing.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 10:38 PM
Mr. Technology

The Nordstrom Tower will give us a nice roof height.
Also, 1 Vanderbuilt will give us a real icon on the skyline.
Believe it or not, but there ARE people in this world that can't name any of the skyscrapers on the NYC skyline.

I get questioned by my own family with; "Is that the Empire State Building?"

As for 2 WTC, we can call it the "Leaning Tower of NY" and people will believe it when they see it for themselves!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 8:26 PM

Quote:
^ If that wind turbine design had gotten built, it would look out of place with all of the supertalls that will rise on the skyline.
I agree.

The turbine designs would have been a disaster; specifically the August 2003 design

We had to wait longer, but thankfully it all worked out for the best.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 8:42 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:

I get questioned by my own family with; "Is that the Empire State Building?"
:
I remember hearing somebody on the street one day ask if that was the ESB. Mind you they where pointing to 1 WTC. So yeah, I can believe it. You'd be surprised. Then there are people that can't understand the number system in Manhattan. They are on 33rd and want to get to 42nd, but have to ask versus figuring it out. If they just look down a block, they can see that it either goes up or down. Or the newcomers that can't figue out how to buy a path ticket, even though you can select a language, and then can't figure out how to slide the card for the turn style.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 5:27 AM
New Yorker for life

Someday...

But for now...(December 5, 2015)

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 9:42 AM

Quote:

But we managed to get a decent design.
Now the redesign of 2 WTC has SSP forumers up in arms over the design.

We went through this when they didn't simply rebuild the twin towers, just stronger and taller.

So now, here we are again, discussing the design.

Well, I'll just say one positive thing about it -- it's original.
It's not particularly original. There's a building in Miami that looks very similar, minus the sky gardens. I'm forgetting the name. I'm one of those who much preferred the original 2 WTC design. But, at this point, let's just get this thing built. It looks decent in context in the recent renders showign the complex at large.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 10:20 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
ok sorry off topic but WHEN ARE THEY GONNA WASH THE DAMN WINDOWS????? 1WTC still looks like a sloppy patchwork with its different shades of scum-covered glass

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 12:19 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This tower will start next month.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
This tower will start next month.
Official source?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
ok sorry off topic but WHEN ARE THEY GONNA WASH THE DAMN WINDOWS????? 1WTC still looks like a sloppy patchwork with its different shades of scum-covered glass
AGREED! I'm so disappointed and turned off of 1 WTC generally speaking, and the filthy windows don't help at all.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 1:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
It's not particularly original. There's a building in Miami that looks very similar, minus the sky gardens.
The earlier version of tower 2 was hardly the most original.

http://www.cubehills.com/top-feng-sh...gs-in-chicago/

But this redesigned tower is an original concept both for the WTC towers and NYC office buildings overall. There is more involved here than skygardens.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/new-worl...ift-1449538029

New World Trade Center Tower Could Get a Lift
Port Authority considers offering concessions toward construction of 2 World Trade Center

By ANDREW TANGEL
Dec. 7, 2015

Quote:
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is considering offering financial concessions toward construction of another office tower at the World Trade Center site in lower Manhattan.

The proposed concessions are intended to make way for construction of the building known as 2 World Trade Center, half of which would be occupied by 21st Century Fox Inc. and News Corp , according to a summary released by the authority on Monday.

News Corp is the parent company of Dow Jones & Co., publisher of The Wall Street Journal. News Corp and Fox were part of the same company until 2013. The companies’ current lease in Midtown Manhattan isn’t expected to expire until 2020.

Spokesmen for News Corp and 21st Century Fox declined to comment. The companies entered into a nonbinding letter of intent with the developer Larry Silverstein earlier this year to occupy approximately 1.5 million square feet space in the new tower.

.....According to a summary included with the authority’s meeting agenda, a proposed reduction in rental payments would be valued at $43 million.

The effective cost of those concessions to the Port Authority would be $18 million after factoring in expected New York state tax credits. Mr. Silverstein’s company would make a $9 million payment to the Port Authority, reducing the cost to $9 million, according to the agency.

Concessions for the site’s redevelopment have been the subject of heated discussions at the authority.

In early 2014, the Port Authority was considering a $1.2 billion financing package for Mr. Silverstein’s 3 World Trade Center. But officials scrapped the proposal after objections by some on the Port Authority’s board. That tower went ahead without the revised subsidy plan.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 6:14 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
The earlier version of tower 2 was hardly the most original.

But this redesigned tower is an original concept both for the WTC towers and NYC office buildings overall. There is more involved here than skygardens.
What? Your argument makes no sense. You could literally say that for both of the buildings but make an exception for this new 2WTC...

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask1982 View Post
AGREED! I'm so disappointed and turned off of 1 WTC generally speaking, and the filthy windows don't help at all.
the 1WTC is generally good/perfect but Whats up with the windows?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 11:17 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy87 View Post
Official source?
Insider who deals with the WTC transportation hub.

The Fox deal is essentially solid. Eb-5 funding seems to be going well for Larry. With the tenant, funding going well, and a completion date of 2020, this will see the light once more.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Insider who deals with the WTC transportation hub.

The Fox deal is essentially solid. Eb-5 funding seems to be going well for Larry. With the tenant, funding going well, and a completion date of 2020, this will see the light once more.
Fantastic news then! Finally the WTC complex will be completed if we exclude 5 WTC which may or may not happen. Is that site Silverstein's or the PA?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 12:38 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy87 View Post
Fantastic news then! Finally the WTC complex will be completed if we exclude 5 WTC which may or may not happen. Is that site Silverstein's or the PA?
PA. Both ny and nj state.

Here's the current status from earth cam.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 12:57 AM

Quote:
PA. Both ny and nj state.

Here's the current status from earth cam.

Oh yeah I know about the park space and the greek orthodox church rebuilding but I was wondering if there's still plans to build tower 5 right behind it as previously opposed but it looks like that's not happening anytime soon if at all.

Either way 5 WTC would have to be shorter than tower 4 since the whole point of the master plan is to have the towers gradually spiraling down to the memorial. If finding tenants is the issue then maybe 5 could be a new hotel to replace the original Marriott that was destroyed on 9/11

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 10:33 AM

Not sure what you are saying, NYguy. I didn't say Lord Foster's design, which I found more visually interesting and striking, was 'original' either. Just that the current plan is visually similar to existing building in response to someone's suggestion that it was original. Yes, there are some novel and site-specific and city-specific elements. Despite not loving the design, I'm excited to see it come to fruition. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. And it's time for the complex to move on realistically in a way that works for prospective tenants of the buildings.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 6:51 PM

I think the new WTC2 tower complements WTC1, WTC3, AND WTC4 better than the Foster design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction