HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 6:49 PM

This is great news. Judging by Heartwood and the already-constructed office building, this will be some quality architecture. Going to be quite a presence coming off the Fremont on 405, too, a view that I am all too familiar with.

Interesting news about Takenaka. Guess they didn’t hear the news about Portland being over. /s

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Press release I received:

Quote:
MIXED-USE PROJECT WITH 24-STORY APARTMENT BUILDING AND THREE-STORY COMMERCIAL OFFICE RISES IN PORTLAND’S GOOSE HOLLOW NEIGHBORHOOD

Developed by Security Properties and Urban Renaissance Group, the Second Phase of the Press Blocks Development Takes Up an Entire City Block and Will Deliver 341 Market-Rate Apartment Units

PORTLAND, OR – Oct. 18, 2022 – The second, larger phase of the Press Blocks development in Portland’s Goose Hollow neighborhood has been fully capitalized and construction has started, according to John Marasco, Chief Development Officer with Security Properties (“SP”), the co-developer of the project along with Urban Renaissance Group (URG).

“As Downtown Portland, the Pearl District, Northwest, and Slabtown have developed rapidly, Goose Hollow has lagged slightly behind until now, Marasco said. “The Press Blocks will bring not only much-needed rental housing to the area but also provide an anchor for Portland’s next great neighborhood, replacing the massive concrete print facility that has dominated the area since the ’50s.”

Designed by Mithun and taking up an entire city block in two structures, the second phase of the Press Blocks comprises a 24-story high-rise that will deliver 341 apartments, and a three-story commercial building that includes retail, live-work units, and creative office for a total of more than 30,000 square feet of commercial space. The development will offer extensive rooftop amenities including a hot and cold water plunge, as well as subterranean parking for 473 cars and secured bike storage. A publicly accessible mid-block connector and plaza at the corner of S.W. 17th Avenue and S.W. Taylor Street will invite the public into the heart of the development and create a sunny southwest facing open space for the enjoyment of the Goose Hollow community.

About Takenaka Corporation

Takenaka Corporation is among Japan's oldest and largest architect, engineering and construction companies with a long history rich in tradition that spans over 400 years and includes creating many of Japan's most prominent architectural landmarks. Since 1960, Takenaka has established twenty-five offices in many foreign countries and over the years has been the recipient of many design, technique, and quality awards. With annual sales in excess of $10 billion and a track record of acquiring and owning prime properties in various international locations, the group’s existing portfolio includes office buildings and hotels in London, New York, Kauai, Seattle, and San Francisco.

Last edited by tworivers; Oct 20, 2022 at 4:11 AM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 1:33 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

This really is wonderful news. Replacing those horrific news bunkers with offices and tall housing will be a fantastic change that will bring so much life to the neighborhood. Absolutely wonderful news!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
This really is wonderful news. Replacing those horrific news bunkers with offices and tall housing will be a fantastic change that will bring so much life to the neighborhood. Absolutely wonderful news!
Couldn't agree more!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 11:03 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Renderings?

Does anyone have access to renderings of the final approved design of the two buildings on the second Press Block? I could not find any when I scrolled back a few years of commentary.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 11:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
Does anyone have access to renderings of the final approved design of the two buildings on the second Press Block? I could not find any when I scrolled back a few years of commentary.
https://mithun.com/project/press-blocks/

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
Thanks. Those are handsome images from Mithun's website. What a change it will be for the neighborhood!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 12:08 AM

This is a really cool development. Will become the core of that booming neighborhood. And adjacent to ART Tower (appears it will be roughly 25' taller than ART?), will have a looming presence over 405. Is this really a go?

I was at a Thorns game recently, that area has really hit its stride. Now that Lincoln HS was finished. Nothing like being able to distract myself and watch soccer AND (multiple) buildings under construction from my seat

Now that area just needs a few more dining/drink options. Seems mostly residential so far, but with all these new residents and Providence Park right there, seems ripe for a few more nightlife options. Are there plans for something in any the press blocks buildings?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 3:46 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

I'm not sure if anyone else notices these things, but the west side of the building looks like it'll do a good job of cutting down on reflecting sound, though the building a block away will already be blocking quite a bit of it. That's a nice touch considering the nearby stadium. It might help cut down on tunneling wind, too (or whatever the term for that is). I wish they showed an image of the east side of the tower.

The more I look at this one, the more I like it. Even the smaller building looks like it has great potential.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
This is a really cool development. Will become the core of that booming neighborhood. And adjacent to ART Tower (appears it will be roughly 25' taller than ART?), will have a looming presence over 405. Is this really a go?

I was at a Thorns game recently, that area has really hit its stride. Now that Lincoln HS was finished. Nothing like being able to distract myself and watch soccer AND (multiple) buildings under construction from my seat

Now that area just needs a few more dining/drink options. Seems mostly residential so far, but with all these new residents and Providence Park right there, seems ripe for a few more nightlife options. Are there plans for something in any the press blocks buildings?
"Is this really a go?"

It certainly seems so. Today I walked by the site and Turner Construction is already demolishing the SE quadrant of the Press Block bunker. And Mac distributed the October 18 press release confirming that it is a 'go'.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 9:01 PM

Excellent news.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 12:57 AM

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 10:26 PM

Looks like the existing building is now demolished to below street level.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 22, 2023, 3:50 PM

Crane's up

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 5:31 PM

Webcam

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouvScott View Post
Thanks for posting this!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Migration Brewing’s Rooftop at the Canvas reopens

Migration Brewing’s seasonal pop-up taproom the Rooftop at Canvas is reopening starting today, Thursday, July 13th. Last year the rooftop bar - named one of Portland’s best patios - ended it’s seasonal run early and was not planned to return. Thankfully things have changed, and the mostly outdoors taproom on the 9th floor of the Urban Renaissance Group’s Canvas building in southwest Portland next to Providence Park, is back for the summer until early fall atleast. The popular beer bar will be serving up fresh, award-winning draft beer plus plenty of packaged beverage options from 2pm – 10pm, Thursday through Sunday. The 2,000sf penthouse patio boasts incredible views of the city in a secure, state of the art commercial building that looks over Providence Park Stadium.

Migration Brewing joins shoe design company Hoka, in the Canvas building. Completed in 2020, the contemporary, nine story high-rise is Phase I of the development project on the former Oregonian printing facilities site. The rooftop beer bar concept came back to life through an ongoing partnership with Urban Renaissance Group and the desire to provide craft beer lovers with an unforgettable Portland experience.
...continues at the New School Beer.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 3:26 AM

Press Blocks site yesterday while walking to the Thorns match. The hole in the ground is significant.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland