HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 7:41 AM
Meh

The Statesman did an article on the South Congress developments. They also have a good drone shot of the Cityview apartments being torn down. Ugh. That was one of my favorite stops for photos!

By the way, I really have to wonder what the heck is going on with the office market that is justifying them tearing down apartments to replace them with office space.

https://www.statesman.com/business/m...1uZPbZ6Fp9XfJ/
Quote:
More South Congress changes: Developer remaking complex

Updated 4 hours ago
By Shonda Novak, American-Statesman Staff

More changes are taking place on Austin’s trendy South Congress Avenue, with the latest redevelopment underway at the site that houses the CityView at Soco apartments.

The developer, Turnbridge Equities, is demolishing a four-story building at the front of the complex, which is at 1007 S. Congress Ave.

The old building — which included 36 apartments atop street level retail space — will be replaced by a new four-story building that will have three floors of office space on top of ground-floor retail space. The new building will feature about 50,000 square feet in all, said Andrew Joblon, managing principal with Turnbridge Equities.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
The Statesman did an article on the South Congress developments. They also have a good drone shot of the Cityview apartments being torn down. Ugh. That was one of my favorite stops for photos!

By the way, I really have to wonder what the heck is going on with the office market that is justifying them tearing down apartments to replace them with office space.

I believe it's the general lack of office space in the urban core combined with Austin's quickly expanding population and popularity with large tech companies. I can't think of any other reason for the statistics in the chart below.

I recently tweeted this: "This chart shows how far behind Austin’s commercial real estate market is and why Wework has been expanding here so quickly. Surprisingly, Austin is Wework’s 3rd most expensive market ahead of Boston, Chicago, LA, & DC. Austin needs more urban office space"
https://twitter.com/justinbaudoin/st...98546656477184

For Austin to somehow be the 3rd most expensive WeWork market is absurd, in my opinion, especially compared to the major coastal cities I mentioned. Austin is 14% more expensive than the 5th place city, Chicago, and 27% more expensive than Washington D.C for the average cost of private offices at Austin area WeWorks. It has to be because of lack of good options Downtown due to space constraints. I think that's why the market could absorb large buildings such as Block 71 and 600 Guadalupe at the same time. Not to mention that both of those buildings are probably 3 years or more from opening to tenants.

https://www.cbinsights.com/research/...C2%A0%E2%80%A6

Quote:

Last edited by deerhoof; Apr 25, 2018 at 10:14 AM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 10:53 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I've heard rumors that HEB has been looking at the urban plan for that Congress spot.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 11:54 AM

I don't see a site plan for a new Congress/Oltorf HEB yet. But the one for that traffic mess at I35/Congress/Slaughter was formally filed in March.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/attachme...x5oOCsAw%3D%3D

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
There's an HEB in San Antonio that is urban style, with parking underneath (mostly hidden from the main street view) and the store above on a second floor just south of downtown. It is a rather large store, too. That may be the model they are following at this location.
Here's another good precedent:

https://www.houstoniamag.com/article...hington-avenue

Seems like they are definitely not afraid of trying out urban concepts. HOpefully that will be true for the new Congress location. I can't imagine why they wouldn't.

Edit: Heck, open one of these in West Campus!!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 4:48 PM

Quote:

So glad to see this. The day those apartments were built we bemoaned the unfortunate Suburban nature of them.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 2:32 AM

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post
I believe it's the general lack of office space in the urban core combined with Austin's quickly expanding population and popularity with large tech companies. I can't think of any other reason for the statistics in the chart below.

I recently tweeted this: "This chart shows how far behind Austin’s commercial real estate market is and why Wework has been expanding here so quickly. Surprisingly, Austin is Wework’s 3rd most expensive market ahead of Boston, Chicago, LA, & DC. Austin needs more urban office space"
https://twitter.com/justinbaudoin/st...98546656477184

For Austin to somehow be the 3rd most expensive WeWork market is absurd, in my opinion, especially compared to the major coastal cities I mentioned. Austin is 14% more expensive than the 5th place city, Chicago, and 27% more expensive than Washington D.C for the average cost of private offices at Austin area WeWorks. It has to be because of lack of good options Downtown due to space constraints. I think that's why the market could absorb large buildings such as Block 71 and 600 Guadalupe at the same time. Not to mention that both of those buildings are probably 3 years or more from opening to tenants.

https://www.cbinsights.com/research/...C2%A0%E2%80%A6
As of last year, the new office under construction in square feet was:
NY 11.9 MSF
SF 6.6 MSF
Aus 1.9 MSF
Boston 4.2 MSF

We need more. It's a bummer Broadmore didn't go for more and that Catalyst is building out over 20 years. It'll be interesting to see how project Catalyst goes but it's getting more heat from neighbors. We'll see how long it takes to get through the rezone.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 7:57 PM

The Statesman site could potentially make a dent in that number, too.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 9:14 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
As of last year, the new office under construction in square feet was:
NY 11.9 MSF
SF 6.6 MSF
Aus 1.9 MSF
Boston 4.2 MSF

We need more. It's a bummer Broadmore didn't go for more and that Catalyst is building out over 20 years. It'll be interesting to see how project Catalyst goes but it's getting more heat from neighbors. We'll see how long it takes to get through the rezone.
Catalyst isn't getting heat from neighbors so much as it is getting heat from the people it will replace.

I'd sooner believe that the nearby neighborhoods, which are buffered by the development by around a mile of suburban apartment complexes and/or parkland (except for Montopolis which is across the greenway surrounding the creek), would prefer the development to the UT students remaining... except for the most vocal minority who are reflexively anti-development.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 1:41 AM
Meh

Hopf Tract - 4411 South Congress (at St. Elmo).

64 feet with 5 floors.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...ct_PLAN_02.pdf

StateHouse expansion - 1221 South Congress

67 feet 6 inches - 4 floors.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...on_PLAN_02.pdf

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 1:49 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Hopf Tract - 4411 South Congress (at St. Elmo).

64 feet with 5 floors.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...ct_PLAN_02.pdf

StateHouse expansion - 1221 South Congress

67 feet 6 inches - 4 floors.

That split intersection is going to end up becoming pretty dense, I'm really excited about how that area is turning out.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 5:12 AM

The North end of SoCo is really going to look different in a couple years. That's a large strip of demo and redevelopment from State House to City View, and the St. Vincent demo/redevelopment is only a block South of State House. That side of Congress will get a big increase in foot traffic with the new retail. Right now it's rather dead when compared to the rest of SoCo.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 9:25 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The North end of SoCo is really going to look different in a couple years. That's a large strip of demo and redevelopment from State House to City View, and the St. Vincent demo/redevelopment is only a block South of State House. That side of Congress will get a big increase in foot traffic with the new retail. Right now it's rather dead when compared to the rest of SoCo.
Now if they could hammer out a deal/plan to redevelop the Congress frontage of the Texas School for the Deaf into active uses, we'd really be cookin' with gas..

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 4:13 PM

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 5:44 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

My biggest concern is SoCo losing many of the local shops that made it what it has become. It's nice they are adding more retail space but something needs to be done about rising rents. Maybe these new projects could focus on local businesses.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 5:05 PM

A site plan was filed today for a mixed use project at 1608 S. Congress. That address is a bookstore, but the current use of the site is vacant. So it must be this lot:

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=331988

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 8:51 AM

The State House project is going to add several retail spots on Soco and on Academy where there are currently none:

Here's the site from Streetview. A convenient place to live, but not much for SoCo visitors:

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 2:24 PM

Re: Statehouse... BINGO! Another place we bemoaned as a misplaced suburban complex. Glad to see this as well.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 5:31 PM
Meh

I don't know. I don't think the Alexan Congress was the worst space. Yes, it wasn't some big shiny building, but it had what mattered. Residential above retail. Even the parking was limited. We'll be losing a 4-story "suburban" building and gaining a 4-story office building. Except for maybe the parking, which may be underground, I can't see that it's much of a change. I do agree that the State House project will be an improvement. I guess those trees are doomed. My big gripe with that stretch of South Congress is the wimpy sidewalks. I'd like to see them widened.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin